Return to front page

Newest article: Fund our Future plea by johnnybakerToday 16:10Today at 16:10:49view thread

Oldest article: "Hither & Thither"? by alan ainsworth24/11/2013 12:59Sun Nov 24 12:59:08 2013view thread

MenuSearch

Next thread: Final Game by HendonJohn17/4/2017 19:46Mon Apr 17 19:46:35 2017view thread

Towie's Mark Wright to invest in Billericay!!

By PF20/3/2017 15:16Mon Mar 20 15:16:27 2017

Views: 3666

Someone has to pay Konchesky's wages!

From BBC:

"Guy who was on TOWIE might invest in non-league club
Posted at 15:02

We discussed salt bae earlier (14:29 GMT) and now it's The Only Way is Essex.

The chairman of non-league Billericay Town has confirmed "there is truth" in reports that former TOWIE (that's short for The Only Way is Essex, yeah?) personality (?) Mark Wright is set to invest in the club.

Dan Groves said the "finer points" of a deal which could see Wright, who played for Rushden & Diamonds as well as his TV work, buy 20% of the Blues are yet to be released.

The Isthmian League Premier Division club were recently taken over by multi-millionaire Glenn Tamplin. "

Let's hope we stay up and play them again next season. Everyone's gonna wanna beat them that's for sure. They'll probably have chucked a load more cash around by then too haha!

reply to this article | return to the front page

Re: Ricay owner officially loses the plot...

By PF18/4/2017 20:15Tue Apr 18 20:15:48 2017In response to Towie's Mark Wright to invest in Billericay!!Top of thread

Views: 3104

I'm sure a few of you have probably seen this video but it starts off a bit heroic, building morale with F bombs galore etc which is not unheard of but then ends up borderline insane cultish with a sing song followed by an sane "The Greatest" rant!

Konchesky looks a bit embarrassed to me. One thing I will say is that the lads actually sing quite well some of em! Other than that this is a bit OTT crazy and this is something they are happy to see in the public domain as it's on their own channel. Obviously comments are disabled otherwise that will be the longest comments section in youtube history!! Batshit insane and hilarious and a little scary even! If I was in the other dressing room and heard that racket I'd be a little bit scared to play. These guys wanna rip my heart and spit in the hole! hahaha!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t48GzrhCyR4

By John Rogers18/4/2017 20:39Tue Apr 18 20:39:53 2017In response to Re: Ricay owner officially loses the plot...Top of thread

Views: 3161

Yeah, I saw that last week. Crazy stuff.

Quite enjoyed Leatherhead's own version of the song after beating Billericay on Saturday.

He is clearly doing something that is connecting with the locals, almost 2000 there yesterday, yet if I was a 'Ricay fan I would be concerned at the amount of time he is spending trying to justify himself. If he was paying £20k per week but keeping his head down then he wouldn't be getting anywhere near the amount of stuff thrown his way - he described the unsavoury incident at the end of the Leatherhead match as though him and his team was 'meat being thrown to the lions'.

You know what, if you make a spectacle of yourself like he is, particularly in this video, you should expect some stuff to come your way. It isn't the fact that he is getting his players to sing the song, or doing the whole motivational stuff, but the fact he has put it out there for all to see. It's so cringe worthy you wonder whether Ricky Gervais might have passed on this material for David Brent.

Again, good luck to them, I hope it doesn't end as we all suspect it will in a couple of years as they are a decent club to visit. But, if they don't win the title with 110 points as he has promised next season, I wonder how long this 'hunger' will continue.

By embee18/4/2017 20:51Tue Apr 18 20:51:48 2017In response to Re: Ricay owner officially loses the plot...Top of thread

Views: 3134

It's his club and he can do what he wants with it.
I do feel slightly for Oli (and I have no information not in the public domain) but he was Craig Edwards' man, identified as (one of) the best wing backs in the league when he was signed from us.
He hasn't had a look in the last couple of matches.

https://thoughtfulfootball.com/2017/04/11/from-salford-to-billericay/ interesting blog here

By embee18/4/2017 23:43Tue Apr 18 23:43:15 2017In response to Re: Ricay owner officially loses the plot...Top of thread

Views: 3038

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=9NAOS8022Qw

Oh gosh.

After looking like a prime plonker for his midweek antics he didn't let his players warm up on Saturday, threw all their kit on the floor and told them they're all off in the summer.

He's installing a 4g pitch because his ex premiership stars play so well on it and every time they play on it they win. He must have missed both games at SJP!

By John Rogers19/4/2017 08:49Wed Apr 19 08:49:50 2017In response to Re: Ricay owner officially loses the plot...Top of thread

Views: 2987

This after stating a fortnight or so ago that he has a squad capable of not only winning the Ryman next season but the National League South the following season and stuck everyone on 2/3 year contracts.

The circus rolls on...

Re: more fun and hilarity

By PF19/4/2017 21:24Wed Apr 19 21:24:51 2017In response to Re: Ricay owner officially loses the plot...Top of thread

Views: 3152

Our man Mr Tamplin is actually good in the air! He might even pick himself next week! https://youtu.be/FFhMnQacnDI

Re: Towie's Mark Wright to invest in Billericay!!

By embee15/4/2017 19:44Sat Apr 15 19:44:17 2017In response to Towie's Mark Wright to invest in Billericay!!Top of thread

Views: 3185

Oh dear oh dear

http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/news/former-premier-league-star-jamie-10233855

By SteveHFC15/4/2017 20:38Sat Apr 15 20:38:45 2017In response to Re: Towie's Mark Wright to invest in Billericay!!Top of thread

Views: 3136

The Sun have picked up on it as well. Something tells me Billericay won't be getting quite such good publicity in tomorrow's papers!

There's also a video doing the rounds of Leatherhead taking the mickey by singing that R Kelly song after they won.

By embee15/4/2017 20:55Sat Apr 15 20:55:10 2017In response to Re: Towie's Mark Wright to invest in Billericay!!Top of thread

Views: 3104

I hope Tamplin and the players heard it through the wall!

By SteveHFC20/3/2017 17:57Mon Mar 20 17:57:24 2017In response to Towie's Mark Wright to invest in Billericay!!Top of thread

Views: 3482

I wonder how soon this one will go pop! We've seen it before, and we'll see it again - boom and bust.

By rwakeley20/3/2017 18:21Mon Mar 20 18:21:15 2017In response to Re: Towie's Mark Wright to invest in Billericay!!Top of thread

Views: 3458

I know I can go off on complete tangents, so about this for an unusual indicator. I was amazed at the toilets at their place. I went for a leak at half-time, I thought I'd entered a cheap, tacky nightclub. The door opposite, presumably to the directors lodgings or something or other had a similar affectation. It just looked gaudy and completely over-board. It's not jealousy in the slightest.
We may have left the place pointless, but long-term like others, I feel for the club and it's fans. AFC Billericay anybody! I would be seriously alarmed at the characteristics on display.
Great news on Hammond, finally a functioning right-back. Good news, our defence is increasingly robust. We have a damn solid keeper as well. Bodes well.

By SteveHFC20/3/2017 18:30Mon Mar 20 18:30:51 2017In response to Re: Towie's Mark Wright to invest in Billericay!!Top of thread

Views: 3505

Agree on the toilets at Ricay - very nice, but felt very out of place!

Also agree re. Hammond - he's been very good in the games I've seen.

By John Rogers23/3/2017 11:36Thu Mar 23 11:36:04 2017In response to Re: Towie's Mark Wright to invest in Billericay!!Top of thread

Views: 3391

Rumour has it that Jamie O'Hara and Carlton Cole are the latest to board the SS 'Ricay.

By John Rogers24/3/2017 09:20Fri Mar 24 09:20:52 2017In response to Re: Towie's Mark Wright to invest in Billericay!!Top of thread

Views: 3387

O'Hara was confirmed last night, they also confirmed the signing of Jake Robinson from Hemel for a reputed £24,000. Confirmed that their weekly wage bill is now £20k per week and that they need crowds of 1500 to 'sustain' that.

Aside from the fact that 1500 crowds probably won't bring in much more than £10-12k per home game (unless they are going to charge £20 next season) some of those figures make Margate of two seasons ago look distinctly well-run.

I know we are in the mother of all struggles for our Premier Division survival this season but I would much rather the way Hendon are run, without debt and without ego, than be party to a circus like this!

By richhend24/3/2017 14:19Fri Mar 24 14:19:18 2017In response to Re: Towie's Mark Wright to invest in Billericay!!Top of thread

Views: 3479

This looks like a rerun of the Hornchurch and Weymouth sagas. Presumably the next announcement will be that they are going full-time. Good luck to them if they can pull it off.

I seem to remember that the Margate bloke fairly early on made a statement about what a good catchment area Thanet was for pulling in crowds. Not sure that the locals ever materialised in sufficient numbers to support the expenditure and you wonder if the Billericay folks will be that supportive.

I seem to recall Billericay got fairly large crowds during their Vase winning days but even a successfull club like Dagenham seem unable to pull in regular crowds of 1,500+.

Re: They are slaughtering Dulwich today

By PF25/3/2017 16:38Sat Mar 25 16:38:22 2017In response to Re: Towie's Mark Wright to invest in Billericay!!Top of thread

Views: 3403

Might even make the play offs and go up this year. Good luck to them I say. I'm not wishing they fail. If they are lucky they can do an AFC WImbledon at best or a Salford City(big investment - trying hard) up north.

By Pink Panther26/3/2017 10:52Sun Mar 26 10:52:00 2017In response to Re: They are slaughtering Dulwich todayTop of thread

Views: 3373

The trouble is that when these clubs do fail they've usually cheated several responsibly run clubs out of a promotion place along the line. Margate beat my club and your club in the promotion play-offs two seasons ago by spending ridiculous money. They appointed a manager based 100 miles away and recruited an entire squad of London-based players training at Kidbrooke. Now their benefactor has disappeared and they're on their way back down. The were never anywhere near the top five until the money arrived.

Yesterday Billericay's entire starting XI consisted of players signed since the turn of the year. Their former first choice keeper was on the bench and one other sub has been there since the start of this season, and that's it. They could end up winning the play-offs with an entire team of players who've appeared in less than half their matches. They've completely disfigured the league this season.

By PF26/3/2017 11:06Sun Mar 26 11:06:51 2017In response to Re: They are slaughtering Dulwich todayTop of thread

Views: 3357

Yeah you may not like it PP, but you're going to have to accept it. They've invested big time and they wanna get to the play offs this season if they can. They gave your lot a going over today which i must admit Iam a bit surprised about as they didn't look that great here at SJP. Although it's obvious that when they are on form they are almost unplayable at the moment as they've had some massive wins lately,

BTW I wouldn't be too dispondent if I was a Dulwich supporter. You guys look good for the play offs even if 'ricay make it with you as well. You've got 3 games in hand on the teams above and there's only a point in it. The ball's in your court. I think you guys fully deserve a play off spot. After that it's up to you to perform in those games and try to go up. If 'ricay get in the play offs with you, then they are gonna be a very tough nut to crack and will be huge favs to go up. It's an exciting end for your team and wish you well!

By John Rogers26/3/2017 13:32Sun Mar 26 13:32:23 2017In response to Re: They are slaughtering Dulwich todayTop of thread

Views: 3387

Part of me wants Billericay out of the division ASAP - next season will be a write off. £20k per week on wages at this level is a nonsense. Sure, if Tamplin wants to pay it then good luck to him. History suggests it won't end well.

And as PP states, it is tough on sides like Wingate, Enfield, Dulwich, Needham etc who are properly run and likely to miss out on a play-off spot because of one man's vanity project.

As PF says though, we have to accept it as much as many of us don't like it. It does raise the question - how many of us Non League fans would welcome investment from someone like Tamplin and how many of us would prefer to stick with the daily, annual grind of trying to remain competitive... I know which side of the fence I am sat on.

By Paul Butler (buts1690)26/3/2017 22:48Sun Mar 26 22:48:50 2017In response to Re: They are slaughtering Dulwich todayTop of thread

Views: 3489

Investment is one thing, being a rich boy's plaything is quite another. If your manager leaves, you get a new one, not go "OK I'll be the manager"

The Supporters Trust ownership stops this kind of thing happening, and I'm glad it does.

By Pink Panther27/3/2017 14:24Mon Mar 27 14:24:01 2017In response to Re: They are slaughtering Dulwich todayTop of thread

Views: 3388

Benefactors come in many colours: Fleetwood, Forest Green Rovers, Fylde, Canvey Island, Hornchurch, Grays, Fisher Athletic, Whitehawk, Margate etc.

Some of the clubs on that list now have superb modern grounds and facilities and appear to be thriving - at the other extreme some of those clubs have gone bust or lost their ground. I don't supposed Margate's ground looks any better than when they were in our league, and Whitehawk looked shabby and dilapidated a couple of months ago with the large temporary stands a clear safety hazard in places..

It's too early to tell exactly where on that spectrum Billericay will end up, but if that was my club I'd be concerned that their sugar daddy attempted to buy Dagenham first, then Bishop's Stortford, before my own club opened its legs and let him in. That list also features a number of clubs whose benefactors dabbled with being team manager - Canvey, Grays, Fisher, i.e. not any of those still flourishing. He clearly wasn't too fussed about precisely which club he acquired as a vehicle for his football fantasy, and he doesn't sound like the most scrupulous character outside of football either:

http://cambridgeriskmanagement.com/index.php/2017/01/04/waste-operators-fined-100000-illegal-waste-dumping/

Would you trust him with your club's future?

Re: well..back to matters on the pitch..

By PF28/3/2017 20:17Tue Mar 28 20:17:25 2017In response to Re: They are slaughtering Dulwich todayTop of thread

Views: 3262

The PInk n Blue behemoth has woken up and are one up in the return fixture tonight. I was just thinking to have a bet on Dulwich and as I was about to do it they scored! Damn! The price went down like a shot. It's still 11/10 which is not too bad but not worth my tenner any more. Gotta be more decisive! Match isn't won of course...

By embee28/3/2017 20:24Tue Mar 28 20:24:00 2017In response to Re: well..back to matters on the pitch..Top of thread

Views: 3196

2-0 now. Really hope Dulwich hang on and anyone but 'Ricay go up through the playoffs.

By PF28/3/2017 20:38Tue Mar 28 20:38:52 2017In response to Re: well..back to matters on the pitch..Top of thread

Views: 3241

Yeah well played Dulwich tonight. I saw the highlights of Saturday's game and they were awful. I think a couple of their players came back for this one though and they were never going to be as bad again. Ricay getting taught a lesson haha! I can't believe they scored literally 10 seconds before I was about to bet. Feeling gutted about that. :-(

By PF28/3/2017 22:10Tue Mar 28 22:10:24 2017In response to Re: well..back to matters on the pitch..Top of thread

Views: 3335

Big night for 'Ricay and they fluffed their lines. 1302 there tonight so probably their record attendance lol and they failed to turn up. Better luck next time rich Essex boys! Glad Dulwich won. Some may not like them here for some reason but I have no history so I hope they go up. But if they don't then I hope to see the mighty Greens at Champion Hill haha!

Previous thread: Harrow Borough by PF17/4/2017 11:18Mon Apr 17 11:18:09 2017view thread