Return to front page

Newest article: Fund our Future plea by johnnybakerYesterday 16:10Yesterday at 16:10:49view thread

Oldest article: "Hither & Thither"? by alan ainsworth24/11/2013 12:59Sun Nov 24 12:59:08 2013view thread

MenuSearch

Next thread: significant win-WELL DONE by lesskinner14/2/2018 16:24Wed Feb 14 16:24:02 2018view thread

Plenty of thoughts

By rwakeley11/2/2018 16:48Sun Feb 11 16:48:17 2018

Views: 2543

Just watched the Tonbridge post-match video from yesterday - highlighting both Staines central defenders out injured. Hendon injuries, one win in six, those factors aside the form guide has been somewhat turned on its head - Dorking unbeaten in 8! Our recent games, Needham, Burgess and presumably Thurrock similar wintry conditions. Grappled with the notion on the way home that these conditions may actually enable lower sides?
Injuries certainly would. Moreover I do wonder if short-passing sides - none more so than Dorking - quite content to pass to the closest player - do generally cause us the most difficulties. Triangles, left-backs encroaching into our half. Clash of styles? Better suited to the conditions?
Not wishing to be remotely critical, I do have the odd gripe with us present. Our delivery on corners the mainstay. Yesterday, I thought it was almost the telling pre-requisite. Those lads at the back trot forward, I can't recall them winning a header. So much great work is going to waste. I want to see us at least cause some consternation. Even Niko struggles to get in on the act. Our biggest threat on corners is arguably Casey and Big Dave. Our corners consistently come up short. Mix it up fine, nothing infuriates fans more than short-corners failing to arrive in the box.
The wide lads, reluctant to type this, but I think they all suffer from a 'Stanislaus Syndrome' constantly trying to bend one in. At least make me eat my own words. I would like them to pass backwards maintaining possession - Murphs, Ollie and swing one in. Overlapping maybe somewhat difficult. Their instinct tells them one thing. I do believe we need to tweek a few things, especially with lads coming back.
Yesterday, for me was a best example of showing a few things up. No bad thing. These lads, especially those mentioned have performed miracles. A joy to behold. They make the impossible look easy - I thought yesterday it was the easier stuff we made look hard.
I can only see these lads, under Gary, getting even better.
A credit to the club the lot of you - keep pushing on.

reply to this article | return to the front page

Talking to myself....

By rwakeley12/2/2018 19:03Mon Feb 12 19:03:35 2018In response to Plenty of thoughtsTop of thread

Views: 2445

Great news - I'm an idiot - at least I think I am.
I have lots of theories with this damn team. I've thought we've had some kind of Suffolk syndrome. Sunday I went forensic! I'm now sure we do - sorry if I've done the lads a disservice. I've turned my thoughts on their head and analysed Suffolk teams on the road. Including just mid-week games - then it got really weird, so I gave up.
Since 2009 a total of 43 games vs Suffolk Inc. Hendon have done very well winning 50% (rounded). In Suffolk, we have won 11, lost 10 and drawn only 2. Only 2 draws in Suffolk is obviously exceptionally low, so it's fair to say, you do get a discernible outcome. Needham this season and Lowestoft 3 each amazingly the only drawn games away in 23 outings. That is one conclusion. I would also advocate that the outcomes are heavily skewed towards overall form - we won all 6 encounters in the play-off season (inc 2 cup games).
The results do tend to be quite diagnostic in that regard. They are a really good barometer. I have a similar state of mind with regards to a mini North London table. So that basically covers the entire season - which proves probably nothing. 4 points of Needham this season to date with 12 more Suffolk points up for grabs. Interesting to see how it pans out. Despite disproving part my own theory with some facts, I do maintain there may well be something in this. Suffolk results to have some standout similarities.
So next time you hear this supporter pipe up about regional variances nonsense remind him it is just form and to what transpires on the day.
Just win tomorrow - I'll keep talking the tablets.

Re: well every board needs a philosopher

By PF13/2/2018 10:58Tue Feb 13 10:58:05 2018In response to Talking to myself....Top of thread

Views: 2605

...and you have that crown well and truly worn. I always read your posts to the end. Always starting with a "here we go...get your brain in gear son" thought to myself before I start reading. I can't pretend I always fully understand what you're saying or implying with your wise words. Plenty of it goes right above my head haha but I still read it. Your thoughts are always a bit "out there" and looking beyond the basic "yeah were great we were shit" stuff lol. Your analysis I always find somewhat OTT for a mere 7th tier football team. You analyse us like we were a Champions League outfit about to play Juve tonight. I'm not criticizing that btw. I'm just pointing that out. I think it's very good that a team or board which has like maybe 10 or so fairly regular posters has an individual who philosophizes so epically( is that a word even) as you do. Keep going Mr Wakeley even though I don't always follow. I still read and try to educate myself a little and have been educated indeed.

Previous thread: Burgess Hill 2 Hendon 4 highlights by johnnybaker4/2/2018 08:55Sun Feb 4 08:55:59 2018view thread