Return to front page

Newest article: Fund our Future plea by johnnybaker26/4 16:10Fri Apr 26 16:10:49 2024view thread

Oldest article: "Hither & Thither"? by alan ainsworth24/11/2013 12:59Sun Nov 24 12:59:08 2013view thread

MenuSearch

Next thread: Darts at SJP by Paul Butler29/12/2015 23:40Tue Dec 29 23:40:27 2015view thread

Glass half full or half empty?

By rwakeley26/12/2015 17:50Sat Dec 26 17:50:19 2015

Views: 2874

Who is honesty surprised by that today? Typical par for the course totally unpredictable nature of seasonal games vs Harrow. I've always dismissed games vs Harrow with flagrant equanimity. Other than the points I deem them a complete none event.
In this instance however, I'm not quite so sure. We have managed to blow a 4-1 lead, which does suggest underlying problems remain, the same as with last week. Generally speaking we seem vulnerable to really any opposition's strengths and that suggests more than defensive failings. Our whole concept of our approach needs evaluating.
Sitting at home, watching things unfold, I have to honest, even at 4-1 against a team of whom can't defend, I cannot honesty say I felt genuine conviction that things are going great.
How much of that today was down to the wonky lab experiment of the day's proceedings and how much of that is down to our problems, that's for those to debate of whom saw what happened.
With players loan periods coming to an end, even more decisions need to be sorted.
I don't lack confidence right now - but things are clearly very uncertain.
One win in December - the next month is crucial. Boring points grinded out rather than Gung-ho is the requirement - easier said than done.
Enjoy the rest of the festivities - Time to put some points on that table. Keep working at things chaps.

Edited by rwakeley at 17:52:10 on 26th December 2015
Edited by rwakeley at 17:54:53 on 26th December 2015

reply to this article | return to the front page

Re: Glass half full or half empty?

By SteveHFC26/12/2015 20:07Sat Dec 26 20:07:43 2015In response to Glass half full or half empty?Top of thread

Views: 2785

Half empty - definitely after being 4-1 up after 21 minutes. At that point it did look like we could score at will and we were in control of the game - but like others, I suspected we'd concede more.

Elsewhere, I've described it as schoolboy defending, comedy goalkeeping, but entertaining (more so for neutrals than those of us with club allegances).

I've only seen 6 competitive games so far this season - 3 wins, 2 draws and 1 defeat - so I've been more fortunate with what I've seen than most supporters - but the defending today concerns me greatly. Defend like that against the top teams and we'll get smashed. That said, I'm know that Gary, Scott & Freddie are on the case and working to improve things.

Going forward, I thought we looked ok - impressed with the two lads from Barnet, and whilst Ben Pattie was only a sub today, he impressed me in the LSC game a few weeks ago. Pleased to see Adam Wallace involved - hope he's able to be available more during the second half of the season. Carl McCluskey definitely has something to offer us too - we all know what he's capable of.

One thing I don't understand - based on the games I've seen, including pre-season - is why Joe Wright is getting the nod ahead of Melvin Minter. For me, Melvin is the more solid keeper.

Whilst there are clearly concerns, one thing I won't accuse any of the players of is a lack of effort today - I thought everyone worked hard, even if their end product wasn't up to the standards we'd like to see, or were seeing last season.

We have 17 games left - I reckon we need to win 7 of those to ensure we stay up. I think, especially with Chris Seeby and Casey Maclaren to come back in the next few weeks, we'll be fine, and we can then look forward to our future at SJP.

By Den26/12/2015 22:24Sat Dec 26 22:24:13 2015In response to Re: Glass half full or half empty?Top of thread

Views: 2836

This is my first post but thought I'd put a new voice in there .
The glass is half full attacking half empty defending.
Your opening paragraph says it all thought we could score at will, but once again the team forgot about the other part of the game defending, which imo has been the problem since pre season.
At 4-1 up there was no leadership out on the pitch to reign players in to maintain shape an composer out there . We are the same almost every week great going forward but always open to the counter most times when we attack we leave two maybe three holding defensively and the backs don't have the pace to handle a counter 4th goal today and lieston game prime examples.
Up top we are starting to take our chances which is pleasing and Wallace is an asset , Ibe is getting back to fitness. Midfield a worry lots of pretty ballers but no one really doing the ugly stuff , no one with the vision defensively to fill the gap we always leave between midfield and defense when on the attack.
Defensively massive questions on what's the best back 4 but the need for two quality consistent centre backs is a must .
Goalkeeper not sure where the comedy comes in didn't see second goal, but the first quality strike as was the third , the 4th a good finish one on one from central position the fifth yes I certainly question decision to come and claim and not get there (and we see it happen at all levels ) but I'll giv benefit as he took crosses before and after that and punched well. even though it cost the win, but shouldn't of with the cushion we had in the first half.
Also although never played in goal in windy conditions it's got to be hell
Before anyone takes offence these are my opinions and the reason we love the game or certain players is we all see something different and occasionally do agree

By Deadman27/12/2015 10:07Sun Dec 27 10:07:53 2015In response to Re: Glass half full or half empty?Top of thread

Views: 2700

It feels more than half empty. It actually feels worse than the Leiston defeat the other day.

However, I shall attempt to lift spirits......that was our first away point since Sept 26 at Leatherhead.

By SteveHFC27/12/2015 11:10Sun Dec 27 11:10:44 2015In response to Re: Glass half full or half empty?Top of thread

Views: 2623

Den - welcome to the forum, hope we hear more from you going forward - all opinions are welcome.

Just to qualify my comment on comedy goalkeeping - that was aimed far more at the Harrow keeper than Joe. I thought Joe was only at fault for the last goal yesterday, and he make 2 or 3 good saves during the game - one in particular late on.

By Den27/12/2015 12:04Sun Dec 27 12:04:32 2015In response to Re: Glass half full or half empty?Top of thread

Views: 2660

Thanks Steve

I try and take positives out of every game as negativity has a tendency to festa .
We are very frail at the moment and I would imagine the disappointment we feel after yesterday is felt ten fold by the players and management. After last season the hurt has been magnified injuries, suspensions massive personnel changes / and below par performances by the star players hasn't helped, the optimism we all had for this season has been dented to say the least, and it's fact that fans are a very fickle bunch and have the easy option of staying away if things are not going to their liking, it is worth remembering the players can't , they just keep going. Point being win as a team lose as a team no individual is perfect all of the time.

By John Rogers27/12/2015 11:07Sun Dec 27 11:07:03 2015In response to Re: Glass half full or half empty?Top of thread

Views: 2641

I thought the turning point yesterday was late on in the first half when Michael Peacock came through a crowd of players to thump a header clear away from a Tingey long throw. The first, and pretty much only piece of decisive defending from either side all afternoon.

Within five minutes of that 4-1 had become 4-3 and Harrow, who should have been out of the game were right back in it.

Things generally feel better than they did four or five weeks ago - we are gaining a few points and look capable of scoring goals now. Sadly, defensively, we are an absolute shambles. Thankfully, yesterday, Harrow were just as bad as we were.

Neither goalkeeper covered themselves in glory, however I believe their keeper was making his debut having been plucked from the Under 21s at short notice, and made two very good saves. Joe made a good save late on at 5-5 as well, but those reservations about him that appeared at St Neots in pre season have yet to go away.

Positive wise, good to see Carl come through 90 minutes and get a goal, another good shift by Adam Wallace and both strikers on the scoresheet plus a peach of a free kick from Finbarr. And, we could quite easily have folded after going 5-5, thankfully we didn't.

Three big games ahead. Wingate, Brentwood and Lewes.

COYG!

Previous thread: A Tale of Two Keepers by Deadman26/12/2015 17:54Sat Dec 26 17:54:21 2015view thread