Return to front page

Newest article: Fund our Future plea by johnnybakerYesterday 16:10Yesterday at 16:10:49view thread

Oldest article: "Hither & Thither"? by alan ainsworth24/11/2013 12:59Sun Nov 24 12:59:08 2013view thread

MenuSearch

Next thread: Swindon by rwakeley27/1/2022 10:08Thu Jan 27 10:08:10 2022view thread

Moving forward...

By rwakeley21/1/2022 19:20Fri Jan 21 19:20:26 2022

Views: 11875

New recruits - There's a comment over on the Fan's FB page with the view questioning as to if this is a correct way to construct a side? In his instance, my personal take is that it is absolutely the correct way to go. I think the timing is a key consideration, let alone the necessity. I don't think we have coped particularly well with the basics at the back for some time. Crosses and closing down. The first goal last week conceded. 3 lads, rooted to the spot.
With regards to the usual footballing 'money' or perceived lack of it being an inhibiting factor, I actually admire the notion of going for youth in this instance. A potential replacement in the mould of a Tommy Smith. A threat in the opponent's box as well. The notion of a couple of lads at the back dealing with the basics, capable of landing the upper hand on the likes of the quality forwards in this division. An absolute must.
I think this also brings into play the notion of our home form. A nod to Truro last week. The longer-term ramifications, the scope to change the formation.
The right fit discovered sometime soon could have long lasting positives.
The missing piece in the jigsaw, with a chance to progress and consolidate.
I think this is rock solid management.
A potential baptism of fire tomorrow awaits for chosen one!
I like this underlying intention a lot. A real positive outlook.
Go for it!

reply to this article | return to the front page

Poole! It's been a BIG week!

By rwakeley23/1/2022 11:19Sun Jan 23 11:19:53 2022In response to Moving forward...Top of thread

Views: 14813

Compare and contrast with last Saturday. Similar styles of oppo, albeit Truro down the flanks, Poole more through the middle. I thought Dickson, (again), the standout for them. I would like to have seen their talisman up top, just from a defensive standpoint.
The clear MoM for me our lad Burbidge, their's reminds me in part of our former lad Toomey, - he finishes like him as well! Attempts at giggles put to one side.
Compared to last week, I think the outcome was fundamentally predicated on a more rounded defensive performance,
particularly from the lad Quba, of whom on a personal note has been questioned somewhat. I thought he dealt with the ariel stuff in his own box and indeed had a clear hand -- or more accurately, head - in contributing to our one goal. The significance of set-pieces on both sides of the equation cannot be under-estimated and genuine conviction has yet to be recognised, but I do maintain in the last week signs of it's significance and it's improvement are being addressed.
I think this aspect of our game in both boxes has been virtually non-existent of late and has cost us dear.
Looking at the cameo role of the new lad at CH shows some promise and I maintain this is the key area of finalising a solid foundation from which to really cement the side.
These subtle and significant, game-changing events had to be addressed and I believe Lee's actions in bolstering the squad will have a resounding benefit in enhancing our performances - and style of play - at SJP.
Tuesday and Swindon offer a reversion for me back to a short passing type and a different test.
Overall, I want to look back at this week as the period when the Lee Allinson project really took a step-up.
The players have consistently worked hard. I think developements could really spur us on over time. Plenty of consolidation work to be getting on with. It's clearly in situe.
For that, well done all, and in particular, in my view, beyond short-term pain, the longer-term gain looks favourable.
Excellent week for me for the Gaffer - Well done.

reply to this article | return to the front page

Previous thread: Second half of the season - Truro by rwakeley13/1/2022 10:47Thu Jan 13 10:47:02 2022view thread