Return to front page

Newest article: Re: PA system at SJP by ktfcprogrammes7328/9/2023 23:09Thu Sep 28 23:09:24 2023view thread

Oldest article: "Hither & Thither"? by alan ainsworth24/11/2013 12:59Sun Nov 24 12:59:08 2013view thread

MenuSearch

Next thread: Gosport Post Match Chat - Part 1 by rwakeley3/2/2022 14:16Thu Feb 3 14:16:47 2022view thread

Thoughts...

By rwakeley2/2/2022 13:55Wed Feb 2 13:55:26 2022

Views: 6173

Throughout this campaign, I have in principle fancied us more on the road than at SJP. I fully expect 3pts to come close of play Saturday. Early goals have been a trait of past encounters, time for me to produce a fluent display. Despite the obvious injury saga, I do think we have consistently lacked penetration from wide positions. We have players in other positions for me of whom could have potentially utilised this function. At times, I have thought we have looked almost 4-2-4 and ironically when those thoughts have permeated I have thought the opposition has mirrored us. I maintain this has characterised the games giving close fought encounters.
First up, my thoughts on Liam. I don't dislike his role, but I go back to how he incorporates his role with Joe. Away from home, I see it as a potent threat anywhere in the league. At home, I see Joe, again last night ramming it home, more in the Blackmore/Mazzone role. I don't think we quite replicate the same dynamic. Furthermore, I think there are times, when frankly, I think a blast from Liam out wide could change games in an instant. I believe this inhibits the functionality of the midfield pairing.
I thought Jayden last night was very impressive. Obviously, he himself in a different role. I see him coming on in the grand scheme of things alongside the likes of Lee O'Leary. For starters, I want someone in midfield of whom can win a header from a goal kick. Our set-pieces have driven me nuts this season. Both boxes, the centre-halfs involement.
I think that has improved of late. Joe dropping back to part-take. I want him receiving it. I want to see more played into his feet centrally, holding up for the likes of Liam. That goal he scored at Harrow. He spends most of his time outside of the box. He terrorised his opponent. I maintain we have the players to do just that. We have not been creating a lot of clear cut chances of late. Hopefully, Sean coming back into the mix will give us the opportunity to get more rounded. Despite the injury pandemic this season, I get the impression we need some tweaks.
Fine margins and a bit of fine tuning.

reply to this article | return to the front page

Previous thread: Swindon by rwakeley27/1/2022 10:08Thu Jan 27 10:08:10 2022view thread