Return to front page

Newest article: Re: PA system at SJP by ktfcprogrammes7328/9/2023 23:09Thu Sep 28 23:09:24 2023view thread

Oldest article: "Hither & Thither"? by alan ainsworth24/11/2013 12:59Sun Nov 24 12:59:08 2013view thread

MenuSearch

Next thread: A game of creosote! by rwakeley26/9/2021 11:56Sun Sep 26 11:56:20 2021view thread

Objectively speaking

By rwakeley14/9/2021 23:24Tue Sep 14 23:24:17 2021

Views: 1193

My main inherent frustration remains. I can't pass comments on tonight as I was clearly not there. This is my main frustration and has been since joining the Southern. I keep going on. I maintain there are 2 classes of sides in this division, those on the deck and those of whom catapult the ball into the box, usually from a Corby-esque style delivery from a supporting left or right back. Even Beaconsfield had the latter style about them at their place. Tonight's comments on twitter with regards the inward crosses is a concern. We've had a batch of oppos in my view of whom we've had mixed fortunes against from the first style. Tonight, I want to know how we defended the crosses. Not to many seen pre-season, the first I saw at Bromsgrove were not dealt with comprehensively. I think we have issues. To be fair from what I've seen the lad Hamza has improved our midfield. How we cope defensively in the air against the likes of a Taunton is going to be a major test.
I have a structural issue at the heart of all this. I keep bashing on about Brewer's position. I do think we need a clear identity, built from the foundation at the back. I find it hard to swallow, albiet, I don't think a lot of sides are great in this division, that we can maintain a totally driven front to back approach and fully maintain control for long spells of the game. I still maintain we can reach the play-offs and it is very early. I think Lee has to give consideration to the type of oppositions and time will tell if we stick to plan A or how we develop. Obviously. with the likes of Joe back we can beat most sides. But we have to ultimately beat those at the very top. I'm not downbeat at all. I'm not worried about our discipline. Seen it all before. It blows over once we get more continuity. I do think we need a more definable, rounded style. Keep at it.

reply to this article | return to the front page

Re: Objectively speaking

By John Rogers15/9/2021 22:16Wed Sep 15 22:16:08 2021In response to Objectively speakingTop of thread

Views: 1166

A couple of things from last night. Much improved performance from Simeon from the Corby debacle at right-back. Did the basics defensively.

Liam Brooks continues to impress. His movement is excellent, when to drop into space, when to look to stretch the centre-halves. Well-taken goal.

Walton deserved something from the game, the manner of their two goals was so disappointing. A ball over the top in behind and the striker is in on goal. Simple stuff.

As for discipline, it is vexing me significantly. Four red cards in our last seven matches. One borderline, one silly challenge when already on a caution and two as part of a bundle.

Last night was made for two out and out wingers attacking their full-backs but with Lucien out, Jayden tried manfully but their left-back was relatively comfortable. Now, against Wimborne, a side you arguably want to try and stretch, your two key wide forwards are both suspended because of idiotic red cards.

Second half syndrome - Part 1

By rwakeley16/9/2021 13:58Thu Sep 16 13:58:01 2021In response to Re: Objectively speakingTop of thread

Views: 1116

Since joining the Southern, I've been banging on with regards to our second half showings. I believe the cause, is our shape and the lack of a decent, traditional central midfield pairing. I maintain this has led to us being hit on the counter. The 'patterns' I have bashed on about I am hoping are finally coming to an end.
My trip to Farnborough under James, in the game for 20 mins, one down, lost the second half completely. History repeating. Dorchester was a bloody carbon copy - that's why I was mad. At the very least we have to recognise what's gone before and adjust against our mindset if it saves us. The stats so far this season, we are scoring first, a trait under James. We usually went on to lose.
This season, 12 out of 14 goals, not counting Corby away conceded have come in the second half. This trend is as relevant as ever. And yet only Taunton and Farnborough have scored more in the first half - again hammering home the points. Away from home, 4 out 5 let in have come in the second 45.
Just watched the Walton highlights. I am, at last quite encouraged. Some play from out the back, retaining possession and linking up. Does this change when we start to long again to Joe from goalkicks???? That for me is a key consideration. Playing a passing game for me would automatically aid us when losing players. I do think we need to clear our lines better and defend corners. That may well resolve itself. Even lee cited the passing component of our game post match. For me now, we have to establish this criteria. We have to bring so much more to the table.
It's the first signs in four years, for me, that this may finally being addressed. I think this will help us considerably at SJP. Enjoy playing on the carpet.

Re: Second half syndrome - Part 2

By rwakeley16/9/2021 14:01Thu Sep 16 14:01:56 2021In response to Second half syndrome - Part 1Top of thread

Views: 4752

Just as a footnote, I've read up on past match reports. The 2019 home game made me smile, in how David B, cited how we should have been out of sight in the first 10 mins, how it was a game of 2 halves and how Wimborne dominated the second half. It's as if the footballing Gods have given us the ideal opportunity to put things right!
Oh, and Wimborne have only scored 1 second half league goal themselves this season - It appears we are not the only ones with second half syndrome! I'm feeling a lot more optimistic.
Put them to bed!

Previous thread: History repeating... by rwakeley5/9/2021 00:41Sun Sep 5 00:41:23 2021view thread