Return to front page

Newest article: Re: PA system at SJP by ktfcprogrammes7328/9/2023 23:09Thu Sep 28 23:09:24 2023view thread

Oldest article: "Hither & Thither"? by alan ainsworth24/11/2013 12:59Sun Nov 24 12:59:08 2013view thread

MenuSearch

Next thread: Derek Furmedge by geemickey20/5/2021 08:40Thu May 20 08:40:19 2021view thread

Claremont Ramblings

By The Ancient One29/4/2021 16:26Thu Apr 29 16:26:28 2021

Views: 1658

A few weeks ago Lee announced that sadly we had lost our experienced goalkeeper North. It was suggested that the Hendon fans had not seen the best of him having played just 15 matches. I went along to the last game played in 19/2020 league season (Walton Casuals) when sadly he had to come off near the end injured making a brave save injured. This got me thinking and in an effort to stimulate some posts on the site I would list in no particular order the four best keepers for HFC over the last 10-15 years. Will Viner, Rihards Matrevics, Ben McNamara, and Tom Lovelock. Look forward to the on this day series, but would point out that Terry Howard scored the winner in the 1960 cup final.

reply to this article | return to the front page

Re: Claremont Ramblings

By John Rogers30/4/2021 09:38Fri Apr 30 09:38:15 2021In response to Claremont RamblingsTop of thread

Views: 5497

I'm not sure what I was thinking with the 1960 Amateur Cup Final - apologies, I'll get that amended! And we'll be caught up with the series over the weekend.

In terms of goalkeepers, it's a shame that Northy has moved on. I think we saw glimpses of his ability - he was faultless in the LSC Final against Brentford - but think he was hampered a bit by injuries and niggles.

We've been blessed with some good ones over the years. I began watching regularly in 1995/6 and think Scott Ashcroft, who was with us at the end of that campaign, could have been one of the very best. He produced two or three performances that were amongst the best I've ever seen.

Outside of that, Gary obviously ranks very highly, as does Richard Wilmot. David Hook was an astonishingly good shot-stopper but a little weaker in terms of his command of the box whilst Dave King was the opposite.

Of the last 10-15 years I think Tom Lovelock was by some way the most consistent for me. I can only remember one goal he conceded where I thought he'd dropped a bit of a clanger, at home to Brightlingsea Regent. He was absolutely key to us not only staying up in 16/17 but also our success the following campaign.

It's a crying shame that Rihards is back in Latvia as he would be perfect for the number 1 role now. He noticeably grew in stature as his time between the sticks went on and excelled in that 6-match winning run.

The one I would add to the list is Danny Boness. I know he struggled as the season went on in 2018/19. I don't think the fact that he was continually playing behind a different back-four every week helped his confidence. However, in the opening months of the season he won us some points on his own that were vital in the final reckoning with some magnificent performances.

By The Ancient One3/5/2021 14:10Mon May 3 14:10:15 2021In response to Re: Claremont RamblingsTop of thread

Views: 1416

Danny Boness was a very respectable keeper, always struck me physically a bit on the light weight side, but he was only in his early twenties. Never witnessed a couple of the others you mention but I did see Dave King playing for Tooting.
My memories and Hendon go back rather further and remember watching the legend John Swannell. In the 80s Dave Root and Mark Broughton, both struck me as fine keepers.

By Simon3/5/2021 20:57Mon May 3 20:57:44 2021In response to Re: Claremont RamblingsTop of thread

Views: 1384

Can I give a quick shout-out to Malcolm Dalrymple who joined us at the start of the 1975/76 season. An excellent goalkeeper as I recall with an outstanding moustache and one of the stars of our victory against Reading in the FA Cup First Round Proper.

By David B18/5/2021 14:10Tue May 18 14:10:00 2021In response to Re: Claremont RamblingsTop of thread

Views: 1304

I want to throw into the mix the excellent Ben McNamara. His performance in the Robert Days Cup Final was absolutely outstanding and earned him a Job in the National League. He has spent the last two seasons with Malden & Tiptree and was one of the stars of their run to the FA Cup second round in 2019-20. I rate him as the best regular keeper in the past 20 years.

By The Ancient One19/5/2021 18:04Wed May 19 18:04:37 2021In response to Re: Claremont RamblingsTop of thread

Views: 1263

Great to get your input David. You are quite correct McNamara was outstanding that night, and he was in my original list of 5. Do you or anybody else want to move on to strikers/goal scorers?

By rwakeley6/5/2021 16:12Thu May 6 16:12:38 2021In response to Re: Claremont RamblingsTop of thread

Views: 1367

A somewhat different interpretation! Mr Chairman's question over on FB with regards to any details surrounding the club's reserves in the Black and White Champions cup, 1981-82 season. I can only confirm that the first leg score was 0-0. Even the date and venue are arbitary as the solitary paragraph found gives nothing more than that of the scoreline. The article does appear lodged at the end of the match report of the Charity cup final at Uxbridge, hence giving a potential time horizon.
Elsewhere, good to see Joe on board. That lad reminds me of the cricketer Joe Root, - and Joe 90! Do all Joe's look the same? I do think there is an overlap in some kind of contaminated sporting, impactful kind of way with the England skipper. Maybe Joe 90 should be his target for the season! Already thinking thoughts!
Like the TV gantry move. Good for the gaffer to keep everyone on their toes and micro-manage stuff. Or it will cause friction, divide the dressing room and get us relegated! Could go either way! - Seriously, I think it's a good move.
Final thoughts go out to those recently departed.
I'm off out to sample some more of what Salopian Breweries have on offer. That first pint of Oracle post lockdown - WOW!

Edited by rwakeley at 16:25:46 on 6th May 2021

Previous thread: Eddie by rwakeley7/5/2021 10:51Fri May 7 10:51:00 2021view thread