Return to front page

Newest article: Re: PA system at SJP by ktfcprogrammes7328/9/2023 23:09Thu Sep 28 23:09:24 2023view thread

Oldest article: "Hither & Thither"? by alan ainsworth24/11/2013 12:59Sun Nov 24 12:59:08 2013view thread

MenuSearch

Next thread: Excellent news by David B23/3/2021 11:16Tue Mar 23 11:16:17 2021view thread

On this day feature

By David B5/2/2021 11:59Fri Feb 5 11:59:15 2021

Views: 1722

Thanks to whoever is writing the fascinating pieces on this day. Yesterday, 4 February was 54th anniversary of my first Hendon game. I stood behind the car park end goal the whole game, pretty much on my own in the first half and swallowed up by hundreds who migrated from the hockey pitch after the break. It was thrilling.

I have enjoyed recalling side-stories from these games for instance on 4 February, Neil Price was going to be sacked by Walton that day, but the 6?1 win gave him a brief stay of execution. As for the win at Northwood, Scott Cousins? goal up the hill was technically superb and I remember writing that shooting towards the cemetery end he buried it in the corner.

Can you please let me know where you got the information about Dwight Gayle, being Devon Gayle?s son? I did not know that and that makes three current Football League players whose fathers played at Claremont Road, Chelsea?s Bradley Hudson Odoi is the son of former reserve striker Bismark Hudson, Rakim Richards of Derby, son of Rodney Richards and Gayle. Devon, by the way, was the first of rebuilt reserve team of the semi-pro era to make it into the first team. A fourth youngster, one of highly-rated Maldon & Tiptree forwards, Tyrique Hyde is the son of former Cambridge, Watford, Burnley, Micah Hyde ? David Beckham?s team-mate at Brimsdown Rovers, and Darren Currie?s team-mate at Hendon Youth.

Edited by David B at 12:00:56 on 5th February 2021

reply to this article | return to the front page

Re: On this day feature

By David B6/2/2021 15:30Sat Feb 6 15:30:42 2021In response to On this day featureTop of thread

Views: 5975

Who remembers the journey home from Waterlooville 34 years ago yesterday? Coach broke down about three times and the back row spent far too long in various pubs as we waited for running repairs to be made. I think it was in the last pub that one of our party (not me) threw an errant dart that broke half of the surround.

By Dessie10/2/2021 17:34Wed Feb 10 17:34:00 2021In response to Re: On this day featureTop of thread

Views: 1613

Dave, sorry to be a pedant but it was 44 years ago. I remember it well but mostly because the entire day was sweet revenge for the FA Cup match earlier in the season. On that occasion the Hendon supporters were treated to a barrage of bricks by the locals. It was quite a scary experience as we had not brought any bricks with us to retaliate. And we were beaten 4-1.

For the FA Trophy game the Clitterhouse boys decided to pay a visit to Waterlooville and I believe made quite a mess of the clubhouse. We won the game easily 2-0 and I was acquainted with the phrase Devil?s Punchbowl for the first time.

By David B25/2/2021 18:57Thu Feb 25 18:57:41 2021In response to Re: On this day featureTop of thread

Views: 1485

Sorry that was a typing (maths) error. Of course it was 1976, which was 44 years ago ? maybe I just wish it was 34 years ago.

Anyway, I was interested to read the 17th February entry, talking about our 1987 Middlesex Senior Cup tie at Harrow Borough. This was a replay, played with the Greens already preparing to appeal against the game because two Borough players, one of whom was Trevor Guard, were not eligible, having signed after the first game.

The match was eventually declared null and void ? after a Harrow appeal. Given they had been told ? incorrectly ? by a County employee that the players were eligible, this was a fair decision. It took almost two months for the replayed replay to take place and we won it 5?3, after extra time, having trailed 3?0 at HT and Borough had also failed with a penalty. It remains one of my all-time favourite Hendon games.

By The Ancient One9/3/2021 14:04Tue Mar 9 14:04:45 2021In response to Re: On this day featureTop of thread

Views: 1371

David is quite correct it is a most interesting review each day. A player that features regularly in the reports is Miles Spector. He was a regular in the team from the mid 50s to early 60s at either number 11,or more latterly 9. Popular with the Hendon, faithful, not so popular with away fans. He had a vague resemblance to General Nasser and the Suez crises and this engendered the "Nasser"nick name. He also had an aggressive attitude with goalkeepers shoulder charging them in the days when they were less protected by referees. He scored loads of goals for the club some 150+ in his 280 appearances. He played in the 1960 cup final inspite of carrying a bad cartilage all season. He played his last games for the club in 1963, and moved on to Wingate , by which time a new generation of players had arrived at the club, Peter Slade, Gerry O'Rourke, David Hyde et- al. Hendon FC first 100 years should be on every supporter's book shelf, page 166/7 for more information of a great player.

Previous thread: FC St Gallen game by Bomber15/2/2021 21:58Mon Feb 15 21:58:39 2021view thread