Return to front page

Newest article: Re: PA system at SJP by ktfcprogrammes7328/9/2023 23:09Thu Sep 28 23:09:24 2023view thread

Oldest article: "Hither & Thither"? by alan ainsworth24/11/2013 12:59Sun Nov 24 12:59:08 2013view thread

MenuSearch

Next thread: Different Proposition by rwakeley25/8/2020 22:11Tue Aug 25 22:11:25 2020view thread

Pre-season thoughts

By rwakeley21/7/2020 18:25Tue Jul 21 18:25:38 2020

Views: 2073

Good to be back on the treadmill. I do like a theory. There's been a few. Usually drunk, late at night. I think there's a schism in football at present. I remember the formulation of the APL. The early dominance of Northern sides, Alty, Runcorn ext. It took several years for the South to take-over. One thing has struck me watching Prem Lg games. The amount of poor delivery from out wide, combined with the lack of penetration from central midfield.
I've been watching highlights from the Northern territories over the past 2 seasons. Games containing Alty, York and Chester. York play Alty this Saturday. Sharp contrast in their goals compared to the Southern play-offs this past weekend. Dartford, Southern ilk lots of crosses from the final third. The Northern sides more traditional. The key for me in an overall context is sides that can cope with attacking and defensive contrasts will suffice. I think we're potentially of that resolve. I do think the sooner we are tested in terms of quality the better. As we draw nearer the start if there's a few available slots, then a decent second string or U23 opposition may show up some thoughts. That Billericay pre-season game sticks in my mind. The way they probed down the flank. I think in the likes of Howe and Perry we have lads of whom could stiffle that. I think we have far better personnel and I for one can't wait to get going.

reply to this article | return to the front page

Re: Pre-season thoughts

By rwakeley3/8/2020 18:54Mon Aug 3 18:54:43 2020In response to Pre-season thoughtsTop of thread

Views: 6714

I cant seem to log in here anymore. Something showing up as port 443 on the Hendon server.
Probably down to me,,,,

By Warwickshire Dons21/8/2020 23:30Fri Aug 21 23:30:20 2020In response to Re: Pre-season thoughtsTop of thread

Views: 1537

I cannot get the forum to work on Chrome but it is fine with Firefox or Edge. The rest of the website works perfectly.

Top lad Warwickshire!

By rwakeley23/8/2020 11:36Sun Aug 23 11:36:54 2020In response to Re: Pre-season thoughtsTop of thread

Views: 1585

It's The Great Escape all over again. Best of British and all that. Got me thinking. Someone on here once referred to yours truly. as 'The Philosopher' - not bad. I would have added 'and part-time poet'. Consequently, I've got this lad Warwick down as the 'The Problem Solver'. On the same theme I would personally assign the following roles...
Mr Chairman one would assume is 'Big X'
Lee Allinson - 'SBO' - (Senior British Officer) - Or just plain 'Gaffer'
Alex 'Stretcher-bearer' Barrett / Alex 'Burger King Barrett - Says it all.
Derek Beech - Camera/The Forger. Needs film and a Focal-plain shutter! Likes bird-watching!
Rob Morris - 'Security' - Presently working on a system monitoring all activities in camp. Stooges and Goons!
Dual role as 'The Distributor' (In charge of food parcels)
John Melnyk - The Scrounger - Half-time raffle.
Tom Stockman - The Surveyor - Presently working on a tunnel from under the club-house.
I was planning to use the Wingate game Tuesday as the big night. Understandable set-backs so check your documents. The Chiltern line down yesterday, Euston mainline next week.
Still on the lookout for someone of whom fits the title of 'Intelligence'
Next full moon is on the 2nd Sept - Until then - WE DIG!

By rwakeley7/8/2020 13:08Fri Aug 7 13:08:57 2020In response to Re: Pre-season thoughtsTop of thread

Views: 1721

The forum is dead....long live the forum. Now typing on a device designed for a four year old. Bloody hell. Oh well. The magician matey is back. What a squad. I do see Barnet similarities mid 1980s. 85 finished 14th having won their last 5 games. 1986 forwards... Wow. Entertainment all the way was one headline from my local rag following one visit. Momentum built on a solid base of consistent performances. A vibrancy, is was tangible. I think we have a similar foundation to aid us for several years instead of the constant breaking and rebuild
Mentally, we look all in tune. Should be a very good campaign. The only deterioration my typing,
Enjoy the season, we are all right behind you. Enjoy.

Tommy Smith

By rwakeley9/8/2020 13:25Sun Aug 9 13:25:38 2020In response to Re: Pre-season thoughtsTop of thread

Views: 1805

Any updates on this young man? Is he due back?
I think the lad is a cracking talent, for me, that really would be the icing on the cake!

Re: Tommy Smith

By Steve Lytton9/8/2020 18:33Sun Aug 9 18:33:26 2020In response to Tommy SmithTop of thread

Views: 1806

I spoke to Lee about him on Friday. Touch and go if he will be fit for the start of the season but have to agree, top player and a lovely bloke too.

Re: Tommy Smith

By rwakeley11/8/2020 15:09Tue Aug 11 15:09:33 2020In response to Re: Tommy SmithTop of thread

Views: 1744

Thanks for the update. My only qualm, the centre half pairing. Clearing the lines and matching up verses some of the more physical types accustomed to this division. One major plus for me is our scope around our own set pieces. Our central midfield problems of the past 18 months banished. The timing of the run on our first goal Saturday, A simple through pass, another with great execution. The movement of Joe. We look pretty much the full package.
Stuff Willy Wonka and is golden tickets. I was in London yesterday. I cannot think of a reason not to engage in this. I can't wait to see how this next chapter of our journey with Lee at the helm unfolds.

Previous thread: Guess opening fixture by saintetienne7/8/2020 08:52Fri Aug 7 08:52:51 2020view thread