Return to front page

Newest article: Re: PA system at SJP by ktfcprogrammes7328/9/2023 23:09Thu Sep 28 23:09:24 2023view thread

Oldest article: "Hither & Thither"? by alan ainsworth24/11/2013 12:59Sun Nov 24 12:59:08 2013view thread

MenuSearch

Next thread: Thoughts on Corks by rwakeley1/6/2020 19:37Mon Jun 1 19:37:31 2020view thread

International Experience

By HendonJohn20/5/2020 19:54Wed May 20 19:54:47 2020

Views: 2447

Does anyone have a list of Hendon players that have international senior level experience at all please?

reply to this article | return to the front page

Re: International Experience

By embee20/5/2020 20:23Wed May 20 20:23:44 2020In response to International ExperienceTop of thread

Views: 7414

Without looking it up shall we try for fun?
I can only think of three I've seen and only one whilst actually at the club
Marcel Barrington, Iain Dowie, Bontcho Genchev.

By The Ancient One22/5/2020 10:42Fri May 22 10:42:13 2020In response to Re: International ExperienceTop of thread

Views: 2240

Has anybody mentioned Gerry O'Rourke I am sure he was selected for his home country Scotland or Ireland, whilst with HFC.
At Hendon for only one season but an absolute goal machine 47 appearances, 39 goals!

By HendonJohn20/5/2020 20:38Wed May 20 20:38:28 2020In response to Re: International ExperienceTop of thread

Views: 2365

Thank you for starting the list off. I seem to recall (or dreamt) that Mark Xavier played for Barbados or Jamaica. Or is that way off?

By David B29/5/2020 11:01Fri May 29 11:01:54 2020In response to Re: International ExperienceTop of thread

Views: 2239

Hi folks

Here is the list of full (unless noted) internationals, before, during and after their Hendon career that I have.
Note 1. I cannot confirm David Adekola's international status as Nigeria records are not clear. He said he played for them.
Note 2. Usif Bangura was called up by Barbados on more than one occasion but he told me he refused to play the last time they called him up (just before he signed for Hendon) because they demanded that he paid his own fare to the Caribbean.

Bulgaria ? Bontcho Guentchev
Barbados ? Usif Bangura
Canada* ? Elliot Godfrey (U-23)
Dominica ? Jefferson Louis
England ? Peter Taylor, Tony Currie
Grenada ? Bradley & Byron Bubb, Elliot Charles
Guyana ? Marcel Barrington
Jamaica ? Frank Sinclair
New Zealand ? Tommy Mason, Jeff Campbell
Nigeria ? David Adekola
Northern Ireland ? Iain Dowie
Portugal ? Gil Gomes (U19 FIFA World Cup final player of the game)
Scotland ? David Speedie
Zimbabwe ? Anthony Sibanda

By HendonJohn29/5/2020 12:57Fri May 29 12:57:31 2020In response to Re: International ExperienceTop of thread

Views: 2212

Thank you so very much. All useful informaton for my next project.

By Michael Cox31/5/2020 14:20Sun May 31 14:20:14 2020In response to Re: International ExperienceTop of thread

Views: 2174

Hi John

If extending to cricket internationals you might want to add Mike Gatting who played a few games for us, scoring once, as a teenager in the mid 1970s. He was rather better at cricket!

By HendonJohn21/5/2020 09:24Thu May 21 09:24:05 2020In response to Re: International ExperienceTop of thread

Views: 2347

I have some additional names - David Hyde, John Swannell, Rod Haider, John Evans, Roy Sleap and Jimmy Quail.

By Bomber21/5/2020 11:01Thu May 21 11:01:50 2020In response to Re: International ExperienceTop of thread

Views: 2331

The Bubb's - Byron and Bradley - both played for Grenada, as did Otis Roberts.

By rwakeley21/5/2020 12:10Thu May 21 12:10:49 2020In response to Re: International ExperienceTop of thread

Views: 2370

Hiya Chaps - I hope everybody's well. I may have some snippets for your quest. Crickey, including Amateur representation - I have compiled player bio's upto the early 1950's and have some avenues for further exploration.
Dexter Adams - 20 apps for England. Eric Beardsley, quoting press - "broke leg 5 mins into International debut"
Graeme Cunningham - "Scottish International" Peter Deadman - 40 caps. Freddie Evans - Debut 27th Jan 1934 England v Wales at Bangor. Article denotes winning a second cap as later selected by FAXI on 10th May.
Roy Evans 1950s Welsh International selected v England at Leicester Jan 1950. John Fisher (1960's) Played at least twice for Wales. Phil Fry (1970's) England Amat. Raphael Garcia - played at least 20 times for Costa Rica?
Phil Gridelet - Played for England v Italy away and Wales at Kidderminster. Melvyn Griffiths 1940s lad with several Welsh caps. David Hogwood 7 England Caps. Ragnar Nvidsten - 10 caps, presumed Amateur - Norway - has a full page on Wiki. David Hyde 1964 scored 4 on England debut v Wales at Bangor - 4 caps.
Off to see if I can find some more....

By rwakeley21/5/2020 13:17Thu May 21 13:17:45 2020In response to Re: International ExperienceTop of thread

Views: 2289

Back by public demand!! Morrissey may interject - "I started something I couldn't finish" or "Everyday is like Sunday" Some more to chew on - Tony Jennings - Captained and managed England side. I have no idea what-so-ever how Shoehorn Johnson and the Gold Coast fit in. He's got his own thing going on. Peter Leahy - Welsh Int. Jefferson 'Airplane' Louis - Dominica Rep. Michael Bryan - Ireland, Jeff Campbell NZ. HEJ Miller England Amat. Hugh MIller Scot Amat. Stan Moore - 2 Eng Caps. Douglas Orr - Scottish. Alan Phillips Welsh Int. Mike Pinner 52 caps, Jimmy Quail 2 NIre. Terry Robinson Eng Int. Jack Rawlings scored 2 24/1/48 Eng v Wales. John Swannell - all time record. Roy Stroud - numerous call-ups. Keith Searle - 1 Eng Cap. Laurie Topp 32 - and a plethora of assorted representative stuff. Cecil Wise at least 1 app.
Plenty of info on others and FA Representative games. Hopefully, we'll all see some real-time action soon!

By John Rogers21/5/2020 13:58Thu May 21 13:58:14 2020In response to Re: International ExperienceTop of thread

Views: 2353

A few others

Charlie Goode (England C)
Elliott Charles (Grenada)
Kraig Noel-McLeod (Grenada)
Matt Ball (Northern Ireland U-21)
Frank Sinclair (Jamaica)
David Speedie (Scotland)
David Adekola (Nigeria)
Peter Taylor (England)
Tony Currie (England)
Luke Gamblin (Malta)

2 of the current squad have England C experience and one has played for Wales Semi-Pro

Keiron Forbes
Eddie Oshodi
Jonathan North

Edited by John Rogers at 14:01:50 on 21st May 2020

By HendonJohn21/5/2020 19:24Thu May 21 19:24:41 2020In response to Re: International ExperienceTop of thread

Views: 2316

Thank you all very much. This has been really helpful. If you do think of any others.....please.

By embee21/5/2020 23:04Thu May 21 23:04:31 2020In response to Re: International ExperienceTop of thread

Views: 2313

If we're including age groupers I believe Michael Corcoran, Northern Ireland U21

By MH22/5/2020 10:12Fri May 22 10:12:07 2020In response to Re: International ExperienceTop of thread

Views: 2248

Also Tommy Mason, a former New Zealand international who played for us in the early 1990's

By ChrisHFC22/5/2020 11:56Fri May 22 11:56:07 2020In response to Re: International ExperienceTop of thread

Views: 2478

Warning - lengthy post!

Clarification on some already named:

- Michael Bryan is from Northern Ireland, not the Irish Republic;
- Rod Haider is the England amateur record holder with 65 caps (10 Kingstonian, 55 Hendon);
- John Swannell is the England Amateur record holder for most caps at one club with 61 in total, all for Hendon, and is second to Rod Haider on the England amateur all-time list;
- As well as his 2 NI amateur caps, Jimmy Quail reputedly missed out on a full NI cap by the odd vote in nine in a meeting of NI selectors;
- Rajnar HVIDSTEN (not Nvidsten) gained 22 fulll caps for Norway, scoring 2 goals (source: Wikipedia - List of Norwegian football internationals playing between 10 and 24 matches);
- Raphael Garcia was Costa Rican;
- From memory, "Shoehorn" was the nickname of Wallace Johnson, who played 1 match for the first team in September 1951 (and a number for our reserves) - he was from the Gold Coast (now Ghana), but i don't know if he was an international;
- Cecil Wise was playing for Hampstead Town when he won his England amateur cap(s), but the FA records show his club as "Kildare";
- Tony Jennings only became an England amateur international after he left Hendon - don't know if this matters - this also applies to a few players named below.

Others I can think of - all are amateur caps unless otherwise specified

Leslie Compton (England full international at the age of 38 - still the oldest outfield player to be capped as a full international by England)
Bernard Joy (England amateur international AND England full international)
Erwin Bahler (Switzerland "B", i.e. one level below full international)
Tony Know (England)
Tony Harding (England)
Tony Bass (England)
John Connell (republic of Ireland)
Erik Hagen (Norway)
Roger Connell (England)
Kieron Somers (Republic of Ireland)
Jeff Harris (England)
Micky Cooper (England)
Mike Candey (England)
Terry Howard (England)
Paul Bates (England)
Miles Spector (England)
John Payne (England)
Peter Terry (England)
Roger Day (England)
Paul Clements (England)
John Brooks (England)
Derek Gamblin (England)
John Ashwoth (England)
Jim Ward (Scotland)
Gerry O'Rourke (Scotland)
Laurie Churchill (England)
Danny Uchechi (Nigerai U20 and U23)

and no doubt others I can't think of at the moment.

Cricket internationals who played (or are reputed to have played) for Hendon under that or earlier names:-

Fred Titmus (Middlesex, Surrey (one season) and England) played a London Challenge Curp match for Hendon in November 1950;
Micky Stewart (Surrey and England, sometime England manager, and father of Alec Stewart) played 10 matches foe Hendon between March 1954 and October 1954, scoring 5 goals.
John Murray (Middlesex and England wicketkeeper) was on Hendon's books, but never made a first-team appearance for the club.

Denis Compton was an England international at both cricket and football, though the latter was only in wartime internationals. He was born in Hendon in May 1918, and is reputed to have played for the club, though I have yet to find a first team competitive appearance for him - his elder brother Leslie made 41 known appearances for Hampstead Town.

Denis's Wikipedia entry shows that he played youth footbsall for Nunhead between 1933 and 1935 (age 15-17), and he is known to have signed as a professional for Arsenal in 1936 at the age of 18. He may have signed youth forms for Arsenal as eaarly as 1933, in which case Arsenal would have sent him to Nunhead, who were, I think, a nursery club for Arsenal at the time.

I have seen a report somewhere - but cannot find the reference at present - that Denis played for Nunhead in a London Senior Cup match against Golders Green at Claremont Road in Januaey 1935, when he would have been 16. It appears that he scored one of Nunhead's goals in a 3-0 win. The match is on the club archive, but only shows the result and Golders Green's line-up.

By Weston Don23/5/2020 10:54Sat May 23 10:54:43 2020In response to Re: International ExperienceTop of thread

Views: 2314

From the Hendon & Finchley Times 11th January 1935:-

"Two of Nunhead's players were formerly in Golders Green?s team, and both seem to be making good. Holton did well at left half, and at outside-left Denis Compton, particularly in the second half, was a thorn in the flesh to the defence, and received a good cheer from his old-time admirers when he got the second goal."

By Weston Don23/5/2020 12:04Sat May 23 12:04:25 2020In response to Re: International ExperienceTop of thread

Views: 2332

A bit more digging shows Denis Compton was a regular member of Golders Green reserve side during 1933/34 season while on Arsenal's books and played for an Arsenal XI against Golders Green in a friendly at the end of that season. As yet no evidence found of any first team appearances.

By Bomber23/5/2020 17:14Sat May 23 17:14:31 2020In response to Re: International ExperienceTop of thread

Views: 2271

Just remembered another kiwi - Jeff Campbell, Kiwi international, played in Ryan Giggs last international (a 2-2 draw up in Wrexham). Now plying his trade at Takapuna AFC at 40 years old.

Previous thread: Hendon FC Legends Card Games by HendonJohn27/5/2020 20:37Wed May 27 20:37:38 2020view thread