Return to front page

Newest article: Re: PA system at SJP by ktfcprogrammes7328/9/2023 23:09Thu Sep 28 23:09:24 2023view thread

Oldest article: "Hither & Thither"? by alan ainsworth24/11/2013 12:59Sun Nov 24 12:59:08 2013view thread

MenuSearch

Next thread: Gaffer Tape - Personal thoughts by rwakeley27/1/2020 19:57Mon Jan 27 19:57:30 2020view thread

Wimborne

By rwakeley25/1/2020 18:08Sat Jan 25 18:08:09 2020

Views: 1916

Just really dropped in to day well done to Lee and the lads. End of Jan, around this time, I always feel the leagues constituents become more defined and the top vs bottom half results become more defined. Next 3 up, we should secure our status, (if not already done so). Then a real test of our credentials. Plenty to play for including the LSC. Contrast today and our last visit there - they hit the post 2 mins in. I expected similar waves in terms of attacking from them. How much onus to place on our early goal is a thought. Sounded from the commentary as if we dominated from the start. Same underlying feel as at the Met. We're imposing ourselves - and away from home. Felt the second 45 they would start strong and push late on. Even under James when riding high there was never the feeling of being able to see games out. The keeper/defence are holding firm under pressure and in isolated attacks. Impressive all-round credentials.
Today, was the first time in 2 years I've felt completely relaxed and fully confident in us being able to bring home full points. It didn't feel in any doubt. Always easier to say in hindsight. I'm looking at going into games with confidence. The tables have turned. There's a more convincing solidarity about us these days.
I'm off to the pub!
Well played.

reply to this article | return to the front page

Re: Wimborne

By Dorset Don25/1/2020 19:42Sat Jan 25 19:42:23 2020In response to WimborneTop of thread

Views: 7388

It was a thoroughly professional performance from the first whistle to the last. Loads of energy from this Hendon side and after deservedly going 2-0 up our game management was spot on. Excellent day all round and a great touch from the players shaking hands with the travelling Greens behind the goal!

By John Rogers25/1/2020 21:08Sat Jan 25 21:08:54 2020In response to Re: WimborneTop of thread

Views: 1842

That was a classy touch at the end, the players each coming and shaking the hands of the fans behind the goal.

In full control of that really, from minute one when Brooks smuggled the ball in. Big blow losing Tommy Smith for the rest of the campaign, but the spine of Oshodi, Brewer and Forbes were outstanding this afternoon.

Really enjoyed both visits to Wimborne, charming ground, lovely hosts... of course three points help. We look a fair outfit right now, a proper unit.

Well done, chaps.

By Dessie26/1/2020 00:04Sun Jan 26 00:04:34 2020In response to Re: WimborneTop of thread

Views: 1823

Well, we have a proper team now and the result was never in doubt thanks to strong defence and effort all over the field. Also a couple of fine saves from our Latvian keeper. In my own head I had forecast a 2-0 and so it came to pass. Wimborne is a lovely club but they were pretty poor on the pitch, and I had a nice discussion with the no. 2 who messed up for the second goal. My Barclay?s bubbly goes to Simeon at right back, a great decision to put him on a contract... we will see what happens.

Relegation is now off the agenda, can we now push to win more than we lose by the end of the season?

By Dessie26/1/2020 00:13Sun Jan 26 00:13:37 2020In response to Re: WimborneTop of thread

Views: 1818

Sorry I forgot to mention the very nice gesture from the players after the game as mentioned earlier. Building a bond between players and supporters is so important at this level of football, well done to all.

Edited by Dessie at 00:15:12 on 26th January 2020

By Dessie26/1/2020 00:36Sun Jan 26 00:36:52 2020In response to Re: WimborneTop of thread

Views: 1829

And finally I forgot to give praise to the referee, no cheap fouls given and totally in charge without interference. I think he was something of a culture shock to the players as he let the game go and had no time for people falling over without reason. The Wimborne no. 9 and Eddie Oshodi were not best of friends but he dealt with that perfectly.

Edited by Dessie at 09:56:16 on 28th January 2020

By Rabster26/1/2020 00:34Sun Jan 26 00:34:13 2020In response to Re: WimborneTop of thread

Views: 1799

Really good day out. Myself & the big fella had a stroll around Wimborne before the match & a very pleasant place it was. Got to the ground & some geezer in a suit & a Wimborne tie shook my hand and welcomed me to Wimborne.....a very nice touch.

As to the game, we were great. Played very well. Simeon looks a real find, with a great supporting cast. As others mention a great touch by the players & staff at the end. Back in the pub in Flitwick for 7.15pm.....marvellous...

By Deadman26/1/2020 12:28Sun Jan 26 12:28:20 2020In response to Re: WimborneTop of thread

Views: 1761

Every now and again, you get a really good day at football....and yesterday was one of those.

Everything was good (apart from the news about Tommy Smith). Ground, Wimborne people, team performance, victory, clean sheet, hopefully no new injuries, another goal for our excellent new striker, healthy number of Hendon fans, nice pint, good burger, good company in the bar etc etc.

See you all at Dorchester.....

By rwakeley27/1/2020 11:35Mon Jan 27 11:35:52 2020In response to Re: WimborneTop of thread

Views: 1687

Just watched the highlights. Impressive. Really cemented some thoughts. The gaffer touched recently how we have a tendency to long. Totally agree. The resolution for me in part was the utilisation of the lad at L/B feeding down line into Sean. Getting creative beyond that. That pass by Brewer. The lad's a natural leader. Someone to play the ball out wide.
Furthermore. The lad up-front. Time to trot out the Mazzone comparison. Patrolling the edge of the box. Down, wide by the corner flag. Going out wide, keeping possession. He created his own goal. It's gelling. We can pull teams around, exploiting spaces. Looked a proper away day. Optimistic tones, the crowd are back on board.
The enthusiasm is infectious. The belief is powerful. Only downer. The injury. Wishing the lad all the very best. Top lad. Get back in the dressing room ASAP. Very impressed.

By The Ancient One27/1/2020 12:05Mon Jan 27 12:05:59 2020In response to Re: WimborneTop of thread

Views: 1832

Good solid performance on an poor to indifferent playing surface. Everybody played their part, none more than the new keeper, looks imposing and very capable made at the very least one important save in the second half.
Final cog in the defensive wheel, best keeper we have had for sometime.

Previous thread: RIP Geoff Riddy by Claremont Man21/1/2020 13:46Tue Jan 21 13:46:38 2020view thread