Return to front page

Newest article: Re: PA system at SJP by ktfcprogrammes7328/9/2023 23:09Thu Sep 28 23:09:24 2023view thread

Oldest article: "Hither & Thither"? by alan ainsworth24/11/2013 12:59Sun Nov 24 12:59:08 2013view thread

MenuSearch

Next thread: 20th anniversary of a legend?s arrival by David B28/5/2019 21:01Tue May 28 21:01:59 2019view thread

Southern Premier Next Season

By Deadman19/5/2019 08:07Sun May 19 08:07:25 2019

Views: 2480

Purely thinking about logistics/travel costs; ...so we lose Kings Langley but gain Hayes (like for like)

We lose Basingstoke, Staines and Frome (relegated) and Weymouth (promoted) but gain Truro (Aaargh!) Weston (aaargh!), Yate (a bit aaargh) and Blackfield (a bit aaargh!)

VERY roughly speaking.......

Frome = Yate
Weymouth = Weston
Basingstoke = Blackfield (pushing it a bit)
Staines = Truro!!!!!!!!!

Oh well.........

Edited by Deadman at 08:09:04 on 19th May 2019

reply to this article | return to the front page

Re: Southern Premier Next Season

By Warwickshire Dons19/5/2019 09:42Sun May 19 09:42:55 2019In response to Southern Premier Next SeasonTop of thread

Views: 8640

Amazingly, my home in Kingsbury, Warwickshire is the same distance from Truro as SJP. We are actually 25 miles closer to Weston Super Mare! It is a nonsense that a football club, less than 9 miles from the centre of London, is in a league so geographically scattered. In reality, Banbury should be returned to the Southern South, with Bishop's Stortford replacing them and Hendon moved back into the Isthmian. The FA are utterly clueless!

By rwakeley19/5/2019 10:54Sun May 19 10:54:39 2019In response to Re: Southern Premier Next SeasonTop of thread

Views: 2369

I've been exiled! This is how Napoloen must have felt when he first saw the Island of Elba!
"From the sublime to the ridiculous" was one of his famous quotes!
Staying on the Napoloeon theme, the FA, have by very definition have actually made the Russian Front look logistically more appealing!
If nothing else, they deserve some credit for that!

By John Rogers19/5/2019 12:57Sun May 19 12:57:15 2019In response to Re: Southern Premier Next SeasonTop of thread

Views: 2313

I think I'm probably in quite a small minority (as per) but from a supporter's point of view, I'm not unhappy with us staying put. I realise there are cost implications for the club, and now logistical with a trip to Truro to look into, but I like these awaydays. I really enjoyed making a day of trips to Dorchester, to Gosport - having a weekend away for Taunton and Tiverton (granted, I'm probably in quite a fortunate position in being able to do this). I much prefer them to battling the M25 to get to East Thurrock or having to navigate the tube on a Saturday to get across London and Merstham. I suspect there's still a novelty value to some of them that'll wear off after this season, at which point I'll be begging to move back to Isthmian land - but give me a trip to Wimborne over Wingate any day of the week.

By John Rogers21/5/2019 00:02Tue May 21 00:02:32 2019In response to Re: Southern Premier Next SeasonTop of thread

Views: 2191

It appears that Kings Langley have lodged an appeal with the FA - they want to move to the Isthmian League - whilst the Met Police chairman has released a statement rightly lamenting the farcical play-off scenes of this past season and bemoaning a the increased travelling this coming season. He seems to be considering whether a further appeal after last year's unsuccessful one is worth it.

By Hendonboy21/5/2019 08:58Tue May 21 08:58:40 2019In response to Re: Southern Premier Next SeasonTop of thread

Views: 2251

Kings Langley may as well just make a donation to the FA with that one. By all means appeal the move north, but trying to claim they're a better fit for the Isthmian when there's clubs between them and the rest of the Isthmian lot is mind boggling.

The Met I have a little more sympathy for, but they (rightly) lost their appeal last season, can't see why they're contemplating doing it again. Better to suggest a solution like pooling travel costs across leagues than just having a moan.

By richhend21/5/2019 12:33Tue May 21 12:33:56 2019In response to Re: Southern Premier Next SeasonTop of thread

Views: 2197

When it was announced before the beginning of last season that we were being transferred to the West and South West league I had thought of writing to the FA to ask them for a copy of the impact assessment that had informed their decision to transfer the four Isthmian League clubs (with particular reference to the cost benefit analysis).

If a cost benefit analysis did exist while we can all guess what the costs section would look like, I imagine that the benefits section would be the same as what Len Shackleton included in his autobiography, under the heading 'The Average Director's Knowledge of Football', that is a single blank page.

I abandoned this idea, however, when I read that when the Met Police asked the FA for information in relation to their transfer/appeal, they were met with the good Stalinist tell them nothing line.

Perhaps I should be writing to Matthew Offord suggesting he lobbies Government to extend the Freedom of Information Act to the FA.

By Middlesex Wanderer21/5/2019 14:12Tue May 21 14:12:36 2019In response to Re: Southern Premier Next SeasonTop of thread

Views: 2147

what would be your suggestion to the FA then?

Harrow, Hayes, Met Police, Walton & Hendon are all in a similar situation. Which 5 clubs would you move into the Southern League instead?

By ChrisHFC21/5/2019 15:00Tue May 21 15:00:19 2019In response to Re: Southern Premier Next SeasonTop of thread

Views: 2141

If it were up to me (probably a good thing it's not), I'd class Middlesex as Isthmian territory and West Sussex as Southern.

In that case Harrow, Hayes & Yeading, and Hendon swop with Bognor, Horsham, and Worthing. Met Police and Walton Casuals stay in the Southern.

By Scarborough_Rob21/5/2019 13:00Tue May 21 13:00:35 2019In response to Re: Southern Premier Next SeasonTop of thread

Views: 2200

May there yet be further twists?

Unlikely it will mean Hendon FC moving but if Gateshead don't meet the National League requirements (and it's looking likely that they won't), then Aldershot and then Truro may get reprieves and Kings Langley could be shifted back to us?

Re: Gateshead

By ChrisHFC21/5/2019 15:57Tue May 21 15:57:35 2019In response to Re: Southern Premier Next SeasonTop of thread

Views: 2291

The FA are keen to avoid the upheavals of last year following the publication of the 2018-19 league allocations, when Shaw Lane Aquaforce folded and various clubs were moved between leagues and/or were given reprieves.

Three FA officials were interviewed by the Non League Paper for publication in mid to late March, in which they said that if a club folds after this year's publication of the league allocations, i.e. after the Sunday just gone, then the league concerned will have to run a club short. If that league covers more than one step, then it may internally promote the playoff losing club with the best PPG (points per game) record to fill the vacancy, and retain the vacancy at the league's lowest level. It may not fill the vacancy with a club from another league.

It will be interesting to see if the FA follows this published policy if Gateshead fold. If they stick to the policy, then Aldershot will be reprieved, but Truro won't, as they are now in a different league, and the National League South will have to run a club short.

If Gateshead remain in existence but are demoted to the Northern Premier League (possible), then Aldershot should still be reprieved; after that it's anyone's guess, but further club moves should only affect the National Leagues and the Northern Premier League. FWIW in this case, my guess is that Aldershot are reprived from NL South to NL, either Gloucester City or Oxford City are moved from NL North to NL South to replace Aldershot, and Warrington are promoted from the NPL to NL North to replace Gloucester or Oxford City as the playoff losers with the best PPG record.

it should be noted that each year the FA publish lengthy regulations on promotion and relegation for the following year, and also what happens if and when a club folds. The FA's League Committee, which makes the allocations, is quite likely to ignore the FA regulations in certain cases, as they did this time last year with some of the promotions and relegations, and sideways moving of clubs from one division to another.

if Truro are reprieved, then the FALC are not following the FA policy published in the NLP in March.

All this is just a long-winded way of saying - who knows?

By ChrisHFC24/5/2019 22:56Fri May 24 22:56:52 2019In response to Re: GatesheadTop of thread

Views: 2082

The National League have announced this afternoon (24th May) that Gateshead have been refused a licence to play in the National League for 2019-20. Furthermore the League fined the club £3,500 and docked 9 points off last season's total for breaches of the League's regulations.

This should reprieve Aldershot Town from relegation to National League South. What happens in National League South regarding the vacancy created there is open to question. The National League have stated that the make up of their three divisions (National League, NL North, and NL South) will be announced and confirmed at the League's AGM on 8th June.

Note that nothing appears to have been said about which league Gateshead will play in next season, if any, always assuming that they can put together a ground, the finances, the squad, and also provide sufficient assurances that the club will be able to complete the 2019-20 season.

Whether this affects the Southern Premier South - Truro could be reprieved and stay in NL South - is open to pure speculation until the National League's AGM has taken place, and we know whether Truro have been reprieved.

As I said in my previous comment on the subject, the FA have lengthy regulations to cover all this. The FA League Committee, which allocates clubs to leagues from the pool of clubs at each step, have been known to ride roughshod over some of the FA regulations, and appear in some cases to be doing so again this summer.

What the final outcome will be is anybody's guess, but I can't see any result that will move us back to the Isthmian Premier, given the FA's desire to move as few clubs as possible after the league allocations were published last Sunday.

Edited by ChrisHFC at 22:58:54 on 24th May 2019

By rwakeley21/5/2019 18:39Tue May 21 18:39:41 2019In response to Re: GatesheadTop of thread

Views: 2186

I'm agree one hundred percent with regards to the league places devised by ChrisHFC. I advocate this would even the costs whilst maintaining a traditional essence to the environment. One niggle I have remains un-known. I want to know, what, if any, restrictions there have been in terms of player recruitment as a result of our re-location. The knock-on effects with regards to player pool and quality are key considerations.
Touching on the Met. One thing stood out early doors last season. I noted their gaffer tweeted that he was completely satisfied with his squad going in. A good indicator as the season developed.
Just for larks, I cast my eye over the new recruits. Blackfields and Langley was interesting. I typed that into Google Maps and half the English Channel appeared! It comes to something when the Spanish Amarda has a greater chance of reaching the place than what I do!
That's football, I guess!

blackfield and langley

By embee21/5/2019 23:41Tue May 21 23:41:08 2019In response to Re: GatesheadTop of thread

Views: 2269

Blackfield and Langley may be on the other side of Southampton but (by road) it's pretty easy and quick to get to the quirkily named Gang Warily. Certainly much better than Wimborne or Poole and at the end of a road to an oil refinery so relatively quiet at the weekend.

Re: blackfield and langley

By John Rogers22/5/2019 08:58Wed May 22 08:58:11 2019In response to blackfield and langleyTop of thread

Views: 2172

Ah, yes, Fawley B!

I was made to go there once as a Scout because our troop leader was running or taking part in some sort of fire-fighting competition there and employed a few of us to act as runners on the day.

Previous thread: 2019/20 by dw19/5/2019 20:59Sun May 19 20:59:38 2019view thread