Return to front page

Newest article: Re: PA system at SJP by ktfcprogrammes7328/9/2023 23:09Thu Sep 28 23:09:24 2023view thread

Oldest article: "Hither & Thither"? by alan ainsworth24/11/2013 12:59Sun Nov 24 12:59:08 2013view thread

MenuSearch

Next thread: Convoluted thoughts by rwakeley14/4/2019 00:41Sun Apr 14 00:41:41 2019view thread

Next Season

By geemickey25/3/2019 19:43Mon Mar 25 19:43:09 2019

Views: 2436

Looks as though there are four possibilities for next season :

1. Remain in Southern Premier
2. Relegated to Southern Div 1
3. Transferred to Bostick Isthmian Premier
4. Transferred but relegated to Isthmian Div 1.

I reckon the most likely outcome will be a straight transfer back to the Isthmian, which may suit a lot of fans, but relegation to either league shouldn't be ruled out.
There may be some cost saving benefits in that - and some more local games too.

What do Hendon fans think ?

reply to this article | return to the front page

Re: Next Season

By rwakeley26/3/2019 10:41Tue Mar 26 10:41:13 2019In response to Next SeasonTop of thread

Views: 2235

The possibilities alone demonstrates the problems created for the London trifecta. Wazza on his NLM spreadsheet has us in Bostick Prem, The Met in the Conf South and Harrow in the Southern Prem. FWP has us down as relegated. One highly unsubstantiated rumour I heard recently was that Hendon were happy to stick in the Southern for another stint. - I then heard the opposite from someone else! This is what we three clubs face every season we stay in this realm. Good luck assembling a squad.
Personal view. I have that much revulsion for this, I would almost take relegation back to Bostick 1, just to get us back in what I percieve as a more condusive environment. That's based not just on travel - but moreover on footballing merit. Only twice in the past decade has promoted sides from the Ryman into the Conf South come straight back down - it maybe longer - I actually posted this stuff earlier in the season. I do think there is a prevailiing notion amongst some that staying in the Southern is an easier option towards promotion. I don't buy into that. I would advocate the team at the very top of the Southern is usually a far bigger club. We have proved that we as a club can get in the Ryman Play-offs. I would also best guesimate it is far more difficult to recruit players for the Southern league. We know the Met are un-happy. The longer our London based clubs stay in this division, I believe it will become more difficult to get out of. Sides that get promoted usually keep most playing staff. Those in this league have prospered. We would in likelihood have to completely re-build.

As for Option 2 - I would rather barbacue my own tongue!

By The Ancient One26/3/2019 16:45Tue Mar 26 16:45:56 2019In response to Re: Next SeasonTop of thread

Views: 2185

Don't even contemplate "Dropping A Division" in any league. This is Hendon surely we set out to be the premier Non League club in North London. It's a tough climb back to Bostik or Evostik Premiership level. I am also aware of how it would effect attendance figures. Average gate around 100 ? Gate money down, programme sales, loss of sponsorship. Disaster !!!

By geemickey26/3/2019 19:30Tue Mar 26 19:30:03 2019In response to Re: Next SeasonTop of thread

Views: 2146

Totally agree - relegation is not an option !

Moving back to the Isthmian Premier would probably be better in terms of attendances and costs, although I'd miss the visit to SJP for the Chesham and Harrow games !

By ChrisHFC26/3/2019 22:50Tue Mar 26 22:50:49 2019In response to Re: Next SeasonTop of thread

Views: 2147

Mickey, there's nothing to stop you coming to SJP at other times, when Chesham and/or Harrow aren't playing or have long away trips that you don't make - we'd be glad to see you!

By geemickey27/3/2019 23:20Wed Mar 27 23:20:24 2019In response to Re: Next SeasonTop of thread

Views: 2151

Thanks for the open invitation ChrisHFC but sadly there are a number of circumstances which do make it difficult for me to visit SJP often.

I believe that Hendon is one of those clubs that most non-league supporters like, so I do wish the club well for the future, firstly in maintaining 'Premier' league status, whether Southern or Isthmian.

Good Signings

By Deadman29/3/2019 07:49Fri Mar 29 07:49:03 2019In response to Re: Next SeasonTop of thread

Views: 2133

On paper, three decent signings to help see us through. A couple of clean sheets would help a lot!

Re: Good Signings

By John Rogers29/3/2019 11:55Fri Mar 29 11:55:51 2019In response to Good SigningsTop of thread

Views: 8477

Very pleased to see Hammond and Osborne back. Hammond should provide solidity at right-back and Osborne, if he can stay fit for the final half-dozen games, is a class act.

Both signings also potentially relieve Gardner-Smith and / or Tingey to step into midfield and cover Harriott's suspension.

By rwakeley29/3/2019 13:34Fri Mar 29 13:34:22 2019In response to Re: Good SigningsTop of thread

Views: 2136

Watched the Poole/Merthyr highlights last night. Totally encapsulates what too expect. Wide, tricky number 11, - last Saturday anybody? - Likes to roam , high line, right/left back heavily involved down the flanks. Plenty of incoming crosses. Need to stem the flow before they get that far. Failed to do yet convincingly. Not being remotely critical, the new lads, ain't the tallest. One small aspect of our overall play which I believe needs resolving, winning flick-ons from their goal-kicks. Connor tracking back, just takes him out of play. We've always had an O'Leary or Big Dave type to execute. Trying to envisage as to how that could work if Shaq or Toomey latch on - yet to materalize. Either way, I think it's imperative Connor gets in the oppo box and we get the ball into his feet - let alone in the air. Interesting game - their in great home form - If we deliver a really solid performance - I think we are in with a realistic shout. Interesting to see the gaffers selection and how we approach it. Get to work lads, bring home a result.

By geemickey8/4/2019 11:06Mon Apr 8 11:06:56 2019In response to Re: Good SigningsTop of thread

Views: 1940

I think relegation now looks highly unlikely but a transfer back to the Isthmian Lge looks almost certain considering the projected movements from National South and Isthmian Div 1 (Hayes & Yeading to take your place in the Southern Prem ?). Either way things look secure for Hendon next season.

A winning side at Hendon would probably see gates around 300, next season although attendances must be well up on last term (?)

By John Rogers8/4/2019 17:39Mon Apr 8 17:39:28 2019In response to Re: Good SigningsTop of thread

Views: 1993

Crowds are, I think, up on last season, yes. Last year we had a couple of larger ones with Dulwich and Billericay taking us beyond 3/400 in the league whereas this season we have been much more consistently around the 250 mark.

To come off a play-off final defeat into a new league with a completely new squad, struggle and increase the average gate is heartening.

It would be lovely to hit 300 on a regular basis, and I think its acheiveable in the next couple of seasons, but relies on the immense hard work that has gone on behind the scenes to engage with the youth teams and local community, the mental health initiatives continuing to bear fruit - increasing that and also existing fans spreading the word that win, lose or draw, SJP is a pretty wonderful place to spend a Saturday afternoon.

Looking forward to our visit to Chesham on Easter Monday. It's where I made my Hendon reserves debut in 1998 (floodlight failure notwithstanding) and revisiting earlier this season to watch Aylesbury's ducks cemented your ground as one of my favourites.

Previous thread: Supporters Trust Board Who's Who by John Rogers1/4/2019 14:11Mon Apr 1 14:11:46 2019view thread