Return to front page

Newest article: Re: PA system at SJP by ktfcprogrammes7328/9/2023 23:09Thu Sep 28 23:09:24 2023view thread

Oldest article: "Hither & Thither"? by alan ainsworth24/11/2013 12:59Sun Nov 24 12:59:08 2013view thread

MenuSearch

Next thread: No subject by Paulinbushey17/9/2018 21:32Mon Sep 17 21:32:51 2018view thread

19th May 1977

By dw15/9/2018 23:16Sat Sep 15 23:16:33 2018

Views: 2161

We defeated Barking at Earlsmead in the league cup final on this day having absorbed incessant pressure after an early Rod Haider goal. Today was the closest equivalent since! Fantastic defence and spirit in a seemingly never ending match saw us defeat very strong opposition.

reply to this article | return to the front page

Re: 19th May 1977

By johnnybaker16/9/2018 10:57Sun Sep 16 10:57:14 2018In response to 19th May 1977Top of thread

Views: 8961

It was indeed a backs-to-the-wall performance. We have rode our luck against both Harlow and Poole, with the woodwork saving us on both occasions. We aren't playing free flowing football and we shouldn't be expected to be. Winning builds confidence, no matter how we do it. Although in 6th, we are joint top on points. How many fans in all honesty could have hoped for that? Jimmy is doing a great job grinding out results. Long may it continue.

By John Rogers16/9/2018 12:13Sun Sep 16 12:13:44 2018In response to Re: 19th May 1977Top of thread

Views: 1981

Agreed with everything written so far.

It wasn't quite like the alamo that last season's win at Dulwich was, but after the first half an hour where I thought we played some good stuff from what I saw from the turnstile, we had to defend increasingly. I didn't really feel it ever became desperate, I thought the two centre-halves did particularly well in the second half with Danny making a couple of important saves and looking commanding otherwise.

As everyone has said, Jimmy included, we're still very much a work in progress, but the amount of heart, guts and character in the side bodes very well. I wondered how we would react to the Harrow defeat and it's been extremely impressive - three wins out of four and three clean sheets too.

Poole were the best side I've seen this season and were worth at least a point on the balance of play and chances - hitting the bar at the end of the first half, the 10 planting the ball a foot wide of the post and the late header being deflected just wide.

By rwakeley16/9/2018 13:00Sun Sep 16 13:00:40 2018In response to Re: 19th May 1977Top of thread

Views: 1984

I've got a slightly different stance. I'm full of contradictions. I don't think Poole were that good. They looked physically stronger as a unit compared to recent oppositions. I thought the game was mediocre at best. I think our performance was dictated by our physical shortcomings - we look off the pace. Tuesday backlash perhaps. Rumour doing the rounds that the gaffer may play a second string this Tuesday. Don't if true - interesting to hear his thoughts on whether we need a rest or more games. Probably an amalgamation. I have way bigger concerns irrespective of results. Frankly, too many to list! I've come to the conclusion that the overall standard of the quality in this division is different in style than the Isthmian and probably less in terms of quality. I don't think the teams generally have a catchment area to recruit players. There's a lot of players with very similar profiles. Just woke up doing the rounds of the league, watched the Salisbury vid from yesterday - they may come good - but then Staines look woeful at the back! The table does appear to be taking shape. The real positive, we are up there - we should get stronger. Contradictions galore. The final contradiction - I feel as if I could write for hours - my head hurts - but that could be the guinness!

By SteveHFC16/9/2018 13:12Sun Sep 16 13:12:52 2018In response to Re: 19th May 1977Top of thread

Views: 2041

Wasn't there yesterday so won't comment on the performance, other than I am of course delighted with three more points.

With regard to a second string being fielded on Tuesday - that's not a rumour - and hasn't been since last Wednesday morning when we posted a news article to the website to say as much when we announced the new date for the London Senior Cup tie. (see below)

Wasn't there yesterday so won't comment on the performance, other than I am of course delighted with three more points.

With regard to a second string being fielded on Tuesday - that's not a rumour - and hasn't been since last Wednesday morning when we posted a news article to the website to say as much when we announced the new date for the London Senior Cup tie. (see below)

www.hendonfc.net/News?method=archive&month=8&year=2018#6965

Edited by SteveHFC at 13:24:43 on 16th September 2018

By rwakeley16/9/2018 14:00Sun Sep 16 14:00:44 2018In response to Re: 19th May 1977Top of thread

Views: 2008

Cheers for the clarification. I completely missed it! I happened to miss the middle of last week in all aspects - ironically connected to watching Hendon! I tend to blame them for all my personal failings! For the first time in living memory, I actually got on the wrong train the other week! Running to jump on board, the train split in two, I got on the wrong half. Thought I was en route for Birmingham Moor Street - ended up in Oxford! Even went through High Wycombe as standard. No announcements - no indication of anything wrong at all. Had to backtrack towards Marylebone and cross Bicester by taxi to correct my idiotic self.
I'm a complete mess!

Previous thread: Magnificent win in the cup by johnnybaker12/9/2018 09:17Wed Sep 12 09:17:39 2018view thread