Return to front page

Newest article: Re: PA system at SJP by ktfcprogrammes7328/9/2023 23:09Thu Sep 28 23:09:24 2023view thread

Oldest article: "Hither & Thither"? by alan ainsworth24/11/2013 12:59Sun Nov 24 12:59:08 2013view thread

MenuSearch

Next thread: Frome Town away by Warwickshire Dons3/9/2018 19:02Mon Sep 3 19:02:20 2018view thread

Swindon

By rwakeley2/9/2018 01:26Sun Sep 2 01:26:23 2018

Views: 2163

Firstly, thank you to the Tamworth branch for the lift to the station. Beyond that, sorry guy's, trying to remain objective, not meant as a criticism, but hey this is a forum. I thought today was a game completely devoid of any discernable quality. I do think there are games where you can get dragged down to a lower level. I don't think that was the case. I would go as far as saying, I believe we are the stronger side in an underlying sense. I'm growing increasing ambivalent towards the strength of this division.
I do think next week's game is an almost convenient cut-off point for the manager to make initial evaluations of where we are at and how we move forward. Personally, I believe we have to start to evaluate how we are going to play through the midfield. To date, we have had a rotation of personnel surrounding the number 8 shirt. The last time we faced this overall the Maclaren's were the last pieces to fall in place. I personally believe we have several candidates for the wide positions. The gaffer may feel otherwise and wish to pursue his options, there maybe restrictions - my view probably entails a perfect scenario. Nonetheless, I do feel again today we were made to look ordinary, by frankly a pretty ordinary opposing midfield. On reflection, I can't help thinking with Monday in the mirror that underlying issues are overriding the actual results at present, favourable or adverse. I can't help thinking the real insight may come next week. As a unit they look physically strong but equally flawed. I think it's an interesting match-up and may cement how we move forward.

Edited by rwakeley at 01:28:54 on 2nd September 2018

reply to this article | return to the front page

Re: Swindon

By SteveHFC2/9/2018 10:34Sun Sep 2 10:34:21 2018In response to SwindonTop of thread

Views: 9213

I think we'd all agree the game was pretty much devoid of quality yesterday - except for the goal, which was a fine ball in from Howie that was finished well by Gianni.

However, while the quality was lacking, effort certainly was not, and whilst we rode our luck at times - how many times did the ball run across our goalmouth in the 2nd half - they never gave up. I'll take wins like this any day.

I agree Jimmy is probably reaching the point where he'll be deciding who to keep and where he needs to make changes and strengthen.

Still very early days - 11 points from 6 games is a great return - certainly more than I was anticipating when we started.

Final note - its great to see our travelling numbers increasing again - must have been at least 50 of us there yesterday - well done to the HFCSA for taking a punt with the coach.

Re: Swindon

By rwakeley2/9/2018 11:52Sun Sep 2 11:52:43 2018In response to Re: SwindonTop of thread

Views: 1987

For what it's worth, I'm coming around to a few conclusions. My thoughts on personnel yesterday involved our two big lads on the books. Firstly Marvin. I miss him when he's not there and when he is I want a damn site more out of him. Secondly Stephane. I envisaged him as a galloping major in midfield. He has shown glimpses of that - would probably do a job for Harlow in that role next week. I think he does well in-front of Chaps. Hence not convinced of his best role. Then in conjunction does the German lad play central or wide? I do think if we get the missing pieces in the jigsaw the formation and style falls more into place. I think the lads Griffith and Brown have a long-term path. It's how we accomodate certain players and filling the gaps. Someone said in passing leaving yesterday they had not seen a decent opposition team as of yet. I do believe we are in the process of advancing and hopefully becoming a formidable force in the division.

Previous thread: Congratulations all round by David B23/6/2015 13:12Tue Jun 23 13:12:55 2015view thread