Return to front page

Newest article: Re: PA system at SJP by ktfcprogrammes7328/9/2023 23:09Thu Sep 28 23:09:24 2023view thread

Oldest article: "Hither & Thither"? by alan ainsworth24/11/2013 12:59Sun Nov 24 12:59:08 2013view thread

MenuSearch

Next thread: James Gray by Simon1/6/2018 14:45Fri Jun 1 14:45:48 2018view thread

Gary McCann

By rwakeley24/5/2018 17:54Thu May 24 17:54:12 2018

Views: 3524

I don't personally know what kind of response to type. Just logged on looking for possible friendlies and read that!
Gut reaction - No real surprise - Talented manager, ambitious and at face value a good offer following in the footsteps of Alan Dowson. It's a good move for him and frankly having from his standpoint weighed up the options you can't blame the lad. Having not been promoted, the only question remains would he have stuck around in the Isthmian. I think he may well have had he kept a similar squad.
As for Hendon - Despite the anticipted soundbites this is a huge blow. Irrespective of the new management, there's the possibility of a mass exodus and a protracted spell in a tougher environment. This could really deflate the balloon and difficult to maintain the optimism. This move sideways is a real kick in the pants for the club. It is a new challenge to be undertaken at a new era. It's a good opportunity for the correct appointment.
Best wishes and thank you to Gary for providing us with some truly enjoyable times.

reply to this article | return to the front page

Re: Gary McCann

By John Rogers24/5/2018 18:03Thu May 24 18:03:21 2018In response to Gary McCannTop of thread

Views: 10744

It's difficult to put into words the effect Gary has had on Hendon Football Club as a player and then manager. I'm going to leave that for another time.

I'm not in the least bit surprised at this - as soon as the Hampton job came up I thought Gary would probably have an interest and if they offered it to him, it was a no-brainer for him. If we were still Isthmian I suspect the outcome would have been the same.

Of course, there will be feelings of sadness - possibly grief... It's hard to imagine anyone else achieving what Gary has managed through the various challenges and privations he has faced.

If anyone deserves this chance, it's him. It's just such a shame that it wasn't with us.

If anything, now is the time for the board, the supporters trust, the supporters association and the supporters as a whole to re-double our efforts and make sure the progress of the past 14 or 15 months isn't lost. There will be a transition period, of course, and we will likely see a whole new cast of players in the Green & White. But... perhaps it won't be a complete break with the past. I have one or two ideas in mind for the job - one in particular if he is so minded to apply. Let's keep the faith, let's keep the momentum and let's give Gary our very best wishes for a successful future at the Beveree.

By SteveHFC24/5/2018 18:32Thu May 24 18:32:42 2018In response to Re: Gary McCannTop of thread

Views: 3457

Just to acknowledge Rob's comment on friendlies - we hope to be able to release details of those confirmed so far at some point over the weekend.

As for Gary - he goes with my very good wishes, despite my obvious disappointment that he has left Hendon. He's someone I've worked closely with since he took over as manager, and we always got on well when he was with us as a player, and he's someone that I will always consider a good friend as he's been one of many people at Hendon who have been very supportive and caring when I've gone through some tough times over the past few years.

We often spoke on the phone or by text away from matchdays, and it was very rare that we had a difference of opinion, and often saw how games had gone the same way.

Whilst I'd much rather Gary was still at Hendon, I think this is an excellent move for him, and that he'll fit in well at Hampton - who are a well run club.

Go well Gary. We use the word legend too much sometimes - but for me Gary will forever be a Hendon legend.

By Rainham don25/5/2018 15:28Fri May 25 15:28:06 2018In response to Re: Gary McCannTop of thread

Views: 3206

Best wishes Gary and thanks for your efforts.The coming season was going to be difficult anyway but in my opinion that has just got a whole lot harder.Once we can see which players follow Gary to Hampton(and I guess it will be a few) we will no doubt have to establish a new team.Good luck to whoever takes over I think he will need it.Oh well as has been said before were all in this together,just not all of us.

By Mike Cox25/5/2018 15:46Fri May 25 15:46:52 2018In response to Re: Gary McCannTop of thread

Views: 3189

Thanks for everything Gary - all the best to you and to the HFC players who doubtless follow you.
It's a bit ironic after your oft made comments re loyalty though.

By WillesdenGreen25/5/2018 16:56Fri May 25 16:56:40 2018In response to Re: Gary McCannTop of thread

Views: 3157

Not sure how many people know this but Gary McCann never applied for the H&R job. Hampton & Richmond came looking for him. They asked Hendon if they could speak to him & the club granted permission & rightly so.

I do not believe for one minute that Gary never took this decision without a heavy heart. Myself feels a bit harsh some questioning his loyalty when he has been at the club for nearly half of his life but thats just my view

By embee25/5/2018 19:08Fri May 25 19:08:23 2018In response to Re: Gary McCannTop of thread

Views: 3212

I completely agree with you. Gary is a huge reason in why we still have a club.

By Morgs26/5/2018 00:32Sat May 26 00:32:55 2018In response to Re: Gary McCannTop of thread

Views: 3175

Strewth!
Didn't see that coming.
Have to be fair though: even with a good, flexible job and the kids more or less grown-up, the required increase in both commitment of time and the difficulty of negotiating what will be an unsettling transitional period in the Southern League changed Mr.McCann's job description markedly.
Yeah, the Club has done him a few favours in his early days in the dugout, but he's repaid those with interest and we are all at least vaguely aware that he's turned-down job offers at clubs that finished a fair bit higher than Hampton on the Pyramid last season. Nobody needs to be told that the opinion on the Isthmian League street is that Mr.McCann is the main reason Hendon FC still plays at Step Three.
Everyone should be grateful for what he's done for the Club and wish him well for the future.
Yes, from the Club's viewpoint, it is arguably the worst possible time to leave, but the switch to the Wurzel League was generally unexpected and had happened more suddenly than is healthy for either the Club or an incumbent manager.
I don't envy the Board in their task of finding a replacement. Ideally, someone with knowledge of the Southern League would be preferable, but the localish Southern League contingent have had long-serving managers for a while. Money isn't likely to be available to entice the likes of ex-O's midfielder Steve Castle from Royston or Mark Burke from Hitchin. Andy Leese switched clubs last season.
Drax might be a good choice, but the job isn't attractive without money.
Young Bracken at Cor-Cas has done well.
I note Dave Anderson took the reins at Chertsey a couple of months back, after a spell concentrating on media duties. His predecessor at Arra, Owsy, hasn't been seen since failing to improve St.Alban's in the required time-scale, but a bloke familiar with kids from Council Estates in Ammersmiff, Arra Road and White City is probably what the Club needs.
The Club hasn't quite been plunged into a crisis, and it's not quite time to ring Tony Choules, but the situation's uncomfortably close to one and I have a horrible feeling a call to Uxbridge might be necessary at some point in the next six months.

Edited by Morgs at 00:36:25 on 26th May 2018

By rwakeley26/5/2018 08:03Sat May 26 08:03:57 2018In response to Re: Gary McCannTop of thread

Views: 3163

Great post Morgs! Talking of candidates, I noted on the twitter-verse some attention being directed to towards ex-stalwart Scott Cousins. Am I reading too much into John Rogers comments above - Who knows?.
I am coming increasingly around to the notion that all this that has happened may actually work out for the better. The time had come for Gary to experience a change of scenery and likewise with ourselves.
I had a drunken post Tooting chat with the fans about our style of play and what was required to get us over the line and more-over stay there. We've never really dented the top flight sides when our paths have crossed. Irrespective of the obvious resource argument, I do maintain our style has restricted us. That may be taken as an insult, it's not meant to be in the slightest. These Southern coastal sides are the ones of whom have had the traditional upper hand. Having to combat their styles on a frequent basis means we have to adjust accordingly.
Having recently moved to SJP, the foundations are in place. The new manager will bring in different ideas and as a project, I really do believe this changes the landscape of our approach.
I have toyed with the notion of the club being in no man's land and going into obscurity. Despite some obvious problems, from a playing perspective this opens the door for a fresh approach in a different landscape, which should we in the future progress, actually look back on as a beneficial predicament. This is an opportunity in the making.

Edited by rwakeley at 08:04:55 on 26th May 2018

By Colchester Don (<blank>)27/5/2018 10:38Sun May 27 10:38:38 2018In response to Re: Gary McCannTop of thread

Views: 3080

Considering there were 500 Hendonians at Tooting, I find the reaction to Gary's departure on this forum strangely muted. I am sad to see Gary go of course, but not surprised. You may recall he gave a frank interview when he signed a new contract two years ago and explained his ambitions for the future. With hawks circling around a number of players, the thought of assembling a new squad in a new league was too much I guess, and the H&R gig came at the right time.

We owe Gary and his staff a huge debt of thanks for sticking to the cause for so long and through the nomadic years (personally I found Claremont Road in its death rattle 2006-8 more depressing). We can forget at times the commitment managers at this level have to make, and the huge sacrifice to personal lives - 65+ games a season, training twice a week, scouting missions for the next Iain Dowie etc etc. Some of the football over the past 13 years has been sublime and Gary's presence has contributed to Hendon Football Club looking forward to a bright future at SJP. So thanks, Gary Mac.

SJP is a great home, I like the vibe about the place, so I would hope there should be no shortage of candidates for the gaffer's job. Time for the MacLarens to be the new Cowley Bros?

By Claremont Man27/5/2018 12:40Sun May 27 12:40:04 2018In response to Re: Gary McCannTop of thread

Views: 3076

Just like to add my thanks to Gary for all he has done to get our club where it is today and wish him all the very best as he sets sail on his new challenge.Having seen him involved in youth football as well as Hendon I can say without doubt what a smashing bloke he is.

By Hendonboy27/5/2018 14:07Sun May 27 14:07:55 2018In response to Re: Gary McCannTop of thread

Views: 3108

I think the level of reaction just reflects the fact that our fans are spread across here, Twitter and the Fans of Hendon Facebook group. If you look across all three there's been plenty of disappointment and thanks.

By dw31/5/2018 00:01Thu May 31 00:01:52 2018In response to Re: Gary McCannTop of thread

Views: 2928

I agree that social media sites are now diverse. Simply, Gary has been the best manager ever at the club. In my early days at the start of the Seventies, managerial changes occurred almost every year. A four year stay was a miracle. Without Gary the Club would possibly be gone!

The future is now as bright as ever. The foundations for the future, painstakingly prepared at SJP, can only bode well.

By David B31/5/2018 12:33Thu May 31 12:33:45 2018In response to Re: Gary McCannTop of thread

Views: 3000

If you exclude the first two-thirds of the 2004?05 season, when we had Tony Choules until the end of October and Gary Farrell until the end January 2005, only three men have been in charge since Andy O?Brien stepped down as interim manager after a 2?1 defeat at Kingstonian in early March 1997. Frank Murphy took over and he was in charge until the end of the 2000?01 season and Dave Anderson succeeded him for the three folllowing seasons (and when he left, no less than 13 players and the coaching staff ? except for Warren Kelly ? moved across to AFC Wimbledon with him). Gary took over on 2 February 2005 and lasted 13 years and 3 months, nine years longer than Frank, who had been the club?s longest-ever serving manager in a single spell.

By Morgs1/6/2018 01:21Fri Jun 1 01:21:55 2018In response to Re: Gary McCannTop of thread

Views: 2976

Speaking of long-serving manager stats...
Gary McCann was a week or so short of 13 years & 4 months in charge of Hendon when he was pinched by Hampton.
Don Revie was a week or so short of 13 years & 4 months in charge of Leeds United when he was pinched by The F.A.
I'm not counting the exact number of days. That might be scary.
I hope Gary has more success than the greatest ever English manager had when he switched to Lancaster Gate.

By dw2/6/2018 00:28Sat Jun 2 00:28:55 2018In response to Re: Gary McCannTop of thread

Views: 3030

Good posting! Don Revie, in terms of what he achieved at Leeds, was arguably one of the greatest managers ever. The Leeds team of the late sixties and very early Seventies was very special. Only Liverpool came close. It was such a shame he left to manage England.

An astonishing analogy with Gary.

Previous thread: Backroom staff by Rainham don31/5/2018 07:56Thu May 31 07:56:25 2018view thread