Return to front page

Newest article: Re: PA system at SJP by ktfcprogrammes7328/9/2023 23:09Thu Sep 28 23:09:24 2023view thread

Oldest article: "Hither & Thither"? by alan ainsworth24/11/2013 12:59Sun Nov 24 12:59:08 2013view thread

MenuSearch

Next thread: Suffolk's doing my head in by rwakeley20/1/2018 17:06Sat Jan 20 17:06:57 2018view thread

Records, joint-records and non-records

By David B17/1/2018 10:36Wed Jan 17 10:36:07 2018

Views: 2727

A quick check on my records shows the following:

The 9-1 win against Spelthorne Sports was the record home win for Hendon under Gary McCann?s management. The record win was 11-1 against Leyton at Lea Bridge Road on 15 December 2007, so it is our biggest win for 10 years.

Our biggest win in the Middlesex Senior Cup - actually our biggest recorded victory - was 13-1 against Wingate at Claremont Road on 2 February 1957.

The last eight-goal winning margin was on 9 September 1995, against Flackwell Heath at Claremont Road in the FA Cup and the scorers in the 8-0 win were Nick Sweetman, Steve McKimm, Geoff Pike, Junior Haynes (3) and Phil Gallagher (2).

Joe White equalled the club record for goals in a game, with five, but our goalscorers record is incomplete from a multitude of matches when the club scored five and more.

Joe, the youngest Hendon player ever to score five goals in a Middlesex Senior Cup tie, achieving it on his 19th birthday, is the third player to bag a five-timer, matching Tommy Lawrence v Wingate and Freddie Evans v Lyons in January 1931.

He is also the first player to score five in a game since Gary became boss almost 13 years ago.

More stats later.

reply to this article | return to the front page

Re: Records, joint-records and non-records

By rwakeley17/1/2018 15:06Wed Jan 17 15:06:45 2018In response to Records, joint-records and non-recordsTop of thread

Views: 2688

Talking of goalhangers, I know pre-war stats are controversial but I am in the process of building extensive player bio's from 1908. Having processed newspaper stuff upto the late 1950's I have come across one Harry W Shearcroft. One article depicted the following summary:-
Joined Hampstead 1924 - As of 1953 he resided on the clubs committee from which he would remain until April 1959. Our website cites 89 apps and 80 goals - I have 102 apps and 90 goals - the difference is broadly that of yours truly including friendlies. This is clearly in-complete if the article is accurate. His goal-scoring exploits are quite unique. That's some strike-rate - whatever the figures!
The article states he holds the club record for the most goals in one game - 6 - all headers - vs Uxbridge - No details found of this encounter. Once played in a Middx XI, of which the combined Hendon strike-force netted 13 between them vs Suffolk - Harry scored 7 - all headed.
The article also suggests he holds the record for the most number of goals in one season - wait for it - a modest 59! I don't know if that includes the reserves!
A proper centre-forward - this guy is our equivalent of Tommy Lawton - Apparently Spurs had a look in.
What would this guy be worth in today's money?

By ChrisHFC17/1/2018 16:39Wed Jan 17 16:39:22 2018In response to Re: Records, joint-records and non-recordsTop of thread

Views: 2606

Harry Shearcroft does not hold the record for most goals in a season with 59 - I assume they were all for Hampstead - he only shares it, though at the time the article Rob cites was written that could have been true.

We are missing too many appearance and scoring details between 1908 and 1942 to be sure of anything. The last competitive match for which we have incomplete details is a home Athenian League game v Southall, played on 3rd May 1955.

Check out David Hyde in 1964-65 - 59 goals in 54 league and cup matches. He also scored 4 goals in friendlies, 3 pre-season and 1 during the season.

Appearance and scoring details on the website only include League and Cup matches for the first team. 'One-off' cup matches we've played over the years, such as The Will Mather Cup, are classed as friendlies as they are not cups potentially open to all clubs for any particular season. This also applies to pre-season tournaments we've played in, including those we hold.

Edited by ChrisHFC at 16:51:06 on 17th January 2018

By rwakeley17/1/2018 19:07Wed Jan 17 19:07:11 2018In response to Re: Records, joint-records and non-recordsTop of thread

Views: 2540

Cheers, I was aware of David Hyde's exploits but was primarily giving the guy some deserved exposure. The history of this club is astonishing. I just think guy deserves a mention - I wonder what his actual record was? The mind boggles - and there obviously many more like him.
I love his era of football. Mud-baths of a surface, a ball that weighed two stone and clog boots. Barging the keeper in the net and Brylcream everywhere. They didn't complain about games at Christmas.
What have we got today? Plastic pitches, plastic balls, tramlines in the head and gangster rap in the dressing room. Can you imagine this guy taking a penalty with a modern ball? It would still be travelling when going through Coventry! Personally, I would have loved to have been able to have experienced that period.
This guy and his mates are like Rambo!
Respect.

By SteveHFC17/1/2018 18:58Wed Jan 17 18:58:40 2018In response to Re: Records, joint-records and non-recordsTop of thread

Views: 2571

Assuming my sums are right, the average age of the starting line up last night was 20yrs350days. The average age of the XI that finished the game was 19yrs313days. Surely one of the youngest sides to have represented the club competitively. Only 5 of the 14 players were aged over 21.

Previous thread: When Nico does move on..... by embee16/1/2018 21:46Tue Jan 16 21:46:35 2018view thread