Return to front page

Newest article: Re: PA system at SJP by ktfcprogrammes7328/9/2023 23:09Thu Sep 28 23:09:24 2023view thread

Oldest article: "Hither & Thither"? by alan ainsworth24/11/2013 12:59Sun Nov 24 12:59:08 2013view thread

MenuSearch

Next thread: Hendon v Dulwich highlights by johnnybaker23/11/2017 15:49Thu Nov 23 15:49:26 2017view thread

Tonight

By dw22/11/2017 00:13Wed Nov 22 00:13:27 2017

Views: 2698

It is somewhat painful to attempt to comment on tonight's performance. Dulwich must honestly think that Christmas has come early. A freak handball and an equaliser 6 minutes into injury time should in no way take anything away from as fine a display of attacking football in the first half as I can recall from Hendon. If only the match could have ended there! A patient second half performance was almost rewarded, but Dulwich just managed to achieve enough to scrape through. I thought that Casey Maclaren was the pick of the team, now back to his best form. Uchechi also impressed in a new midfield roll, helping to send Dulwich into a seemingly interminable headache throughout the first half. If only the half time whistle hadn't come!

reply to this article | return to the front page

Re: Tonight

By John Rogers22/11/2017 09:23Wed Nov 22 09:23:33 2017In response to TonightTop of thread

Views: 2596

It was a really tough one to take tonight having performed so well for 75/80 minutes. If the penalty hadn't been awarded I think we'd have won the game as I really couldn't see Dulwich scoring up until that point. Unfortunately, having conceded the penalty, we were unable to keep possession in that final 10/15 minutes and see the game out. Credit to Dulwich for the relentless way in which they attacked us in that time.

A pulsating match with both sides committed to trying to play football. First half was simply outstanding - the sloppy goal concession apart - as we threatened to cut them to shreds going forward. Dave's diving header was magnificent, as was Zak's cross to set it up.

Having slept on it, though, having come away with three points from a late-late winner at Champion Hill perhaps there's some sort of evidence of the world realigning itself last night. We more than matched the best footballing side in the league last night and when the dust settles, four points from the two games against them is a fine return.

A really good atmosphere between the two sets of fans as well, they were genuinely thankful for the solidarity and contribution from our club to theirs. I thought it was a classy touch at the end when they were chanting 'We love you Hendon'.

Re: Tonight

By SteveHFC22/11/2017 10:09Wed Nov 22 10:09:49 2017In response to Re: TonightTop of thread

Views: 2525

I'd go as far as saying the first half was as good as I've seen us play, not just under Gary, but at any time over the last 20 years. The cross from Zak and header from Dave was just absolute true quality. My only disappointment - other than the fact we dropped two points - was that we resorted to firing the ball up field, which meant Dulwich regained possession, rather than trying to keep hold of the ball.

It's a sign of how far we've come this season that we've come away disappointed last night, but as has been said, a return of 4 points from the two games against the current league leaders, and a side who are the best footballing side in the division (anyone who tells me Billericay play good football needs their head read) is something to be proud of, particularly with such a young side.

I'm absolutely certain we'll learn lessons from last night and from the last few minutes on Saturday as we go on through the season.

Big game Saturday that I'm missing, but if we play like we did for most of the game last night, Slough are going to have to work very hard to get a result.

Re: Tonight-ish

By rwakeley22/11/2017 17:32Wed Nov 22 17:32:39 2017In response to Re: TonightTop of thread

Views: 2557

3 each - more Liverpool likeness - No Chance! - They blew it, prevailing circumstances aside, we were magnificent. Some fans at the end were be-moaning the time allotted. Games through-out this entire season have been characterized by last ditch goals and questionable penalties. So happens on this occasion we were dealt a double-whammy. You can't legislate for certain curtailments - which is why I came away feeling elated.
Love the Uchechi role, allows freedom for Murphs and incorporates the midfield activity. Casey and Big Dave, I can't find words to describe those lads and Zac - what a lad he is. Our tenacity was exemplorary. 3-1 half-time lead maybe a difficult situation to handle - personally felt the key turning point were the Dulwich subs.
I've always thought last night was the appetizer and Saturday the main course.
Great to see some fresh faces, old and new, amongst the crowd. SJP has re-ignited this proud club and we are on the way up , Gary, the board and staff - let alone supporters will surely have many more great games to come. The desire off the pitch is demonstrated by the expressions of those on it in adversity. The Hamlet celebrations at the end of the game is the biggest back-handed compliment we could have got.
We may cross paths again. It's wet the appetite for Saturday.
Those lads in green last night were phenomenal.

By dw22/11/2017 23:31Wed Nov 22 23:31:52 2017In response to Re: Tonight-ishTop of thread

Views: 2461

Thanks for that Rob. Overall it was simply a fantastic evening - any Hendon or Dulwich supporter will remember the game for years to come. Sad as it was to just fail to clinch the win, it was nonetheless a great evening and yes, as in my previous post, Uchechi provided a new impetus to totally destroy Dulwich.

By Rainham don22/11/2017 23:46Wed Nov 22 23:46:34 2017In response to Re: Tonight-ishTop of thread

Views: 2419

would agree with whats been said in above posts if the game lasted 45 mins in the first half Zac Daniel and Ashley were virtually unplayable.In the second half they(and the team as a whole)were nowhere near as good.The result of that meant the defence resorted to playing hoof it as far up the pitch as possible.We had no real out ball and got deeper and deeper and resulted in Dulwich gaining a foothold in a game they shouldn't have been in.Pressure led to soft penalty(definitely ball hitting Daves hand) and then a soft corner not cleared properly and what probably been a second penalty conceded by Arthur rendered meaningless as Dulwich scored anyway.Draw felt like a defeat.On to Saturday and another tough one against Slough.

Previous thread: A noble gesture by Mike Cox13/11/2017 12:41Mon Nov 13 12:41:17 2017view thread