Return to front page

Newest article: Re: PA system at SJP by ktfcprogrammes7328/9/2023 23:09Thu Sep 28 23:09:24 2023view thread

Oldest article: "Hither & Thither"? by alan ainsworth24/11/2013 12:59Sun Nov 24 12:59:08 2013view thread

MenuSearch

Next thread: Where we are at by rwakeley19/11/2017 00:35Sun Nov 19 00:35:43 2017view thread

Tough Trophy draw

By Mike Cox13/11/2017 13:06Mon Nov 13 13:06:30 2017

Views: 2721

The game against high flying Slough Town will be a tremendous test for the team and "Fortress SJP." Slough's average home gate is getting on for three times that of ours and hopefully they will bring a good number of travelling supporters. Also hopefully the game will attract more of our casual supporters and a fair sprinkling of non-committed spectators wishing to see what should be an enthralling game.
Come on you Greens!

reply to this article | return to the front page

I am extremely disappointed....

By SteveHFC13/11/2017 17:58Mon Nov 13 17:58:32 2017In response to Tough Trophy drawTop of thread

Views: 2638

... that we didn't get Southport away (I know it wasn't going to happen as the draw is regionalised) as that's where I am that weekend!

On a more serious note, this has the potential to be a cracking cup tie, both clubs doing well in the league, Slough on a great FA Cup run - they are at Rochdale the week after they play us - and I'm quite annoyed I'm going to miss it.

Re: I am extremely disappointed....

By rwakeley13/11/2017 18:14Mon Nov 13 18:14:26 2017In response to I am extremely disappointed....Top of thread

Views: 2631

Firstly, for Steve, let's hope the lads progress another round for you.
I've just spent some a while looking at this crew. Uncanny similarities, the club, new grounds, artificial playing surfaces, the young managers into the hot seat following playing careers cut early. Like ourselves, they look to have a very good manager. They've done well on higher gates and are experiencing in the FA Cup what I personally believe is not a pipe dream for ourselves. They are dynamic, good signings, players aged around the mid-twenties already established, a mix of youth and experience.
I don't really care who we get. On our day, if we fire, we can frighten anybody. It's a taste of what the run of the mill day at SJP could become.
We have everything to gain - I have had a slight problem of late, due to the perceived standard of opposition. Slough, again of late, demolished sides, without possibly being fully stretched.
The one question I've had all season. How good is this side? This may shed some light on it.
Small matters of Burgess act 2 and Dulwich first, (and Grays)!
Enjoy these times.

By John Rogers13/11/2017 18:29Mon Nov 13 18:29:40 2017In response to Re: I am extremely disappointed....Top of thread

Views: 2664

This is an exciting draw, the only slight disappointment is that it's not away from home. I would really like to visit their new ground.

This, along with Dulwich in particular, will be a real test of where we are as a side. Slough always used to travel well when they were in the Isthmian, and the club have always enjoyed a good rapport in the past - I remember fans of the two clubs heading down to B&Q to get some sand to make Claremont Road playable one afternoon. Alas, the efforts were to no avail as the referee made a late call to postpone the game.

Hoping for a good crowd, a good game and ultimately, progression into the first round would be fantastic.

By Morgs14/11/2017 01:34Tue Nov 14 01:34:06 2017In response to Re: I am extremely disappointed....Top of thread

Views: 2546

The B&Q sand incident really was fantastic.

Slough....

By Deadman14/11/2017 10:08Tue Nov 14 10:08:57 2017In response to Re: I am extremely disappointed....Top of thread

Views: 2603

I saw their FA Cup game with Dulwich back in September and they looked a decent team (against 10 men) and their finishing was superb. But Dulwich did cause them problems with pace up front......

I'm looking forward to it and it would nice to think that fans that seem to only attend our league games, will come along to this one too. Dare we hope for a 350-400 crowd?

Re: Slough....

By Pink Panther14/11/2017 11:36Tue Nov 14 11:36:37 2017In response to Slough....Top of thread

Views: 2622

That's an attractive fixture for the neutral so hopefully you get a good crowd. Based on their FA Cup tie with Dulwich I felt Slough were better attacking than defending. Slough made a strong start but Dulwich were on top by the end of a goalless first half, had a goal chalked off for offside that probably should have stood, then had a man sent off for a wild challenge in front of the dugouts that didn't need to be made. Dulwich took the lead twice, but couldn't hold on either time for long enough to frustrate Slough, then the ten men ran out of steam right at the end and conceded a third goal. I don't believe Dulwich would have lost that with eleven men for 90 minutes so I reckon you have a fair chance of success.

Previous thread: Hendon v Kings Langley by johnnybaker29/10/2017 18:08Sun Oct 29 18:08:46 2017view thread