Return to front page

Newest article: Re: PA system at SJP by ktfcprogrammes7328/9/2023 23:09Thu Sep 28 23:09:24 2023view thread

Oldest article: "Hither & Thither"? by alan ainsworth24/11/2013 12:59Sun Nov 24 12:59:08 2013view thread

MenuSearch

Next thread: Tough Trophy draw by Mike Cox13/11/2017 13:06Mon Nov 13 13:06:30 2017view thread

Hendon v Kings Langley

By johnnybaker29/10/2017 18:08Sun Oct 29 18:08:46 2017

Views: 2872

We win again and no comments! Tut tut! It was won in the first half - the less said about the second half the better (zzzzz). 3 goals, all well taken against a team that tried hard but just didn't have enough in the final third. More money in the bank for cup progress as we await the draw on Monday. A home tie at fortress SJP will do nicely.

reply to this article | return to the front page

Re: Hendon v Kings Langley

By SteveHFC29/10/2017 18:24Sun Oct 29 18:24:30 2017In response to Hendon v Kings LangleyTop of thread

Views: 2896

Noooooooooooooo. Not another home game. Please! Could do without yet another programme to do!

On a serious note - our home form is excellent, so yes, I would agree a home tie would be great. Can't really add much more to what johnnybaker said - job was done in the first half, second half was just a case of ensuring nothing silly happened and no more injuries were picked up. One mention however for Zak Joseph, who I thought played very unselfishly when setting up Niko and Dave for their goals.

No game Tuesday is probably a good thing to give Mark a chance to get the walking wounded fit.

Re: Hendon v Kings Langley

By rwakeley29/10/2017 19:45Sun Oct 29 19:45:57 2017In response to Re: Hendon v Kings LangleyTop of thread

Views: 2878

Personally, I want a home draw. No Southern Trains. Journey's this season have been excruciating. I think it's time we all showed the FA Trophy a tad more respect. Some fans, I know for a fact perceive the competition as a fall-back provision. In the pecking order it's lower ranked than the local cups. The prospect of facing another Bostick side diminishes it's lustre. I like the competition. Playing Connie South sides and above is for me breaks up the monotony. A trip up North, beyond Northants is not a terrifying proposition. Different characteristcs.
Next season, for most sides, there could be a perceived lack of midweek games. Wealdstone have played just 2 midweek games to date. Some fans I spoke to openly admitted to questioning whether to turn up. The competition, it's perception, or the opposition casting doubts. The obvious downside is the fixture backlog. 2 away games, possibly Lowestoft to be added. I like the notion of games midweek. The league cup tie in Kent for me is the bigger pain. Personally, I would opt out of that if at all possible.
I remember years ago Dowson, be-moaning he had learnt nothing from a visit to Vale Farm. Personally, I want games, even early doors in the FA Cup that stay in the mind. Win or lose. Dismissing the financial side of things - sitting here, I can't remember a damn thing from yesterday. That Wingate FA Cup tie was exhilarating. The Trophy offers us that chance again. I think we should mentally embrace it. That Whitstable defeat still rankles.
I do think we are in a bit of a strange place at present. Not being fully tested is a tad uncomfortable - hope it doesn't lead to complacency. Playing hard matches galvanizes good sides.

FA Trophy impact

By rwakeley29/10/2017 23:30Sun Oct 29 23:30:39 2017In response to Re: Hendon v Kings LangleyTop of thread

Views: 2820

Just been looking at our Trophy record. Obvious conclusions run deeply enshrined. Something beyond fans initial perceptions does appear to be apparent. We've had 2 moderately successful runs in the past 5 years or so, 2013/14 and 2014/15. Other than that it's been rather ugly. Both those season's where we've remained in the competition, the periods surrounding our involvement have been strong periods of sustained league form. Hence any perception that a run in the Trophy has a detrimental impact is not evident. Years surrounding an early exit correlate to in-different league form.
Results wise, a good solid season has resulted in consistent momentum throughout.
As a footnote, you have to go all the way back to 2003/04 for a replay!

Burgess Hill

By rwakeley30/10/2017 13:33Mon Oct 30 13:33:27 2017In response to FA Trophy impactTop of thread

Views: 2870

Personally, I'm delighted with the draw. I think it's a good match up. Home and competitive - a real chance to progress. A prospective giant-killing at SJP would really cement our fortress mentality and keep everyone on their toes. In-beaten in 5.
Thanks for highlighting the Edgware scenario, nearly jumped in with a compulsive train ticket purchase - not like I've ever done that before!

Re: Burgess Hill

By SteveHFC30/10/2017 18:12Mon Oct 30 18:12:22 2017In response to Burgess HillTop of thread

Views: 2829

No problem with the Edgware scenario - it was you I particularly had in mind when I wrote the initial news item this afternoon. At least we now know it's on the Saturday (which does mean that I'll miss it as I'll be in rehearsals that afternoon).

Also pleased with the draw - other than we've got another programme to produce - but on the field I agree it gives us a good chance to progress into the next round where the Conference North & South clubs join in (draw is still regionalised).

Re: Burgess Hill - Underlying aquese

By rwakeley12/11/2017 01:27Sun Nov 12 01:27:10 2017In response to Re: Burgess HillTop of thread

Views: 2751

Beyond the headline - not much revealed. Tom's distribution and Bid Dave's contribution. Pre-match determination 50/50 balance team composition. Midfield scenario remains questionable. I personally don't think we've been quite right post Enfield, despite the performance - today may have been the ideal fixture to re-align the necessary pre-requisite - nothing beyond that. Spot on application, credit for that. A move in the right direction, an opportunity, with the similar disposition next week, to strive forward.

Edited by rwakeley at 01:43:38 on 12th November 2017
Edited by rwakeley at 01:46:14 on 12th November 2017

Re: Burgess Hill - Underlying aquese

By David B12/11/2017 13:42Sun Nov 12 13:42:31 2017In response to Re: Burgess Hill - Underlying aqueseTop of thread

Views: 2707

I thought we were superb yesterday, with every player contributing. Our third goal was a thing of beauty ? just the sort of goal that is possible on a true surface. Niko is scoring goals for fun and 19 before the middle of November is impressive. Onward and upward.

What we have done in the past 10-12 months is truly amazing. On 5 November 2016, in a League draw with champions elect Havant & Waterlooville, only three of the starters that day were in the 11 yesterday, Arthur Lee, Sam Murphy and Niko Muir and two of the unused substitutes were also involved ? Dave Diedhiou (who started yesterday) and Kezie Ibe (again unused).

Re: Burgess Hill

By johnnybaker13/11/2017 09:41Mon Nov 13 09:41:46 2017In response to Re: Burgess Hill - Underlying aqueseTop of thread

Views: 2629

A very comfortable win in the end. Total control from start to finish against a team who were confident after 4 consecutive wins. Corcs in the middle I thought gave us some steel but the pace of the front three will scare most defences this season. As mentioned previously, we should remember how far we have come in a short space of time. Here's to a favourable draw this afternoon...

Shock news from the FA ? Hendon have a home draw

By David B13/11/2017 12:39Mon Nov 13 12:39:15 2017In response to Re: Burgess Hill Top of thread

Views: 2604

According to the Football Association website two minutes ago (1236 on Monday 13 November 2017), Hendon will be at home to Slough Town in the third round qualifying of the Buildbase FA Trophy.

Re: Shock news from the FA ? Hendon have a home draw

By rwakeley13/11/2017 13:04Mon Nov 13 13:04:20 2017In response to Shock news from the FA ? Hendon have a home drawTop of thread

Views: 2615

Sluff Town - Love it. Proper cup tie - not short on goals, either one of us. They've scored 19 (yes 19), in their last 4 matches! Tight and really combative. Gonna be a real tight game. If Saturday proved we are back near our best, this week we replicate it, nicely teeing up the momentum to go big time. Chance to go further.
Lads will be up for this one - I know I am.
Common!

Previous thread: Kingstonian by PF4/11/2017 20:04Sat Nov 4 20:04:05 2017view thread