Return to front page

Newest article: Re: PA system at SJP by ktfcprogrammes7328/9/2023 23:09Thu Sep 28 23:09:24 2023view thread

Oldest article: "Hither & Thither"? by alan ainsworth24/11/2013 12:59Sun Nov 24 12:59:08 2013view thread

MenuSearch

Next thread: Worthing by johnnybaker21/10/2017 17:55Sat Oct 21 17:55:39 2017view thread

I actually don't care how we played tonight

By rwakeley17/10/2017 22:05Tue Oct 17 22:05:40 2017

Views: 2532

First of all - We should banish all talk of the play-offs and concentrate on the issues such as the Burgers and the Bovril. Not tried either this season. I presume the Bovril is full of beefy goodness!
Yeah right!
Secondly - Rotation, rotation, rotation. The main take-away, the line-up. Strength in depth, a strong bench gives the Gaffer selection options.
Thirdly - Another clean sheet - And a very impressive result. Needham always tough. Reminded of the lad Ingram who posed problems last time out.
Final thought - What a truly remarkable set of lads we've got. Grinding out results like these are the real benchmark. I looked back at our epic season 2014-15. Same time, we are actually one point worse off! Aided by going unbeaten in (only) the final 17 league games, winning 12!
Results like tonight shows we are made of the right stuff.
Extremely well done to everybody.

reply to this article | return to the front page

Re: I actually don't care how we played tonight

By John Rogers18/10/2017 00:01Wed Oct 18 00:01:15 2017In response to I actually don't care how we played tonightTop of thread

Views: 2536

We weren't at our most fluent this evening, but certainly at our most resilient. Defensively we didn't put a foot wrong and stood up to everything they threw at us. Tom's first save came in the final 10 minutes from a looping header, and apart from two or three catches and one punch, had little else to do. The two centre backs were superb again, Eggleton continues to impress and Corcoran really looks the part at the moment in front of the back four.

Going forward, Uchechi and Joseph were the standout performers - we couldn't quite get the interplay around the box working tonight as we have at times, but we still forced three excellent saves from the Needham keeper. I was hugely impressed by their number 5 tonight, he was outstanding, and when you consider that in the recent past both Gareth Heath and Luke Ingram have enjoyed profitable times against us, we marshalled them well.

A good and encouraging win against a side that won't finish as low down as they currently are. Another clean sheet too.

Not getting carried away, but I would expect another five wins should definitely see us safe this season.

By rwakeley18/10/2017 11:09Wed Oct 18 11:09:19 2017In response to Re: I actually don't care how we played tonightTop of thread

Views: 2388

Thanks for the summary. Love the opening and closing lines. Matches I don't attend I draw on previous encounters to form my own synopsis and last night appears to have been pretty spot on. We can't be expected to run riot every single game, and when we are not quite on the pedal to the metal stuff grinding out a win makes things equally if not more important.
As for the last line, I'm going out on a whim and I am going propose that we are probably going to be safe this season!
3 points Saturday.

By embee18/10/2017 09:26Wed Oct 18 09:26:44 2017In response to Re: I actually don't care how we played tonightTop of thread

Views: 2424

I just thought (mainly for my own amusement) I'd look at the FWP predicted final table which predicts every remaining match of the season.
From how I understand it they predict we win every remaining home game, except a draw with Billericay!
If only!

By ChrisHFC18/10/2017 23:33Wed Oct 18 23:33:00 2017In response to Re: I actually don't care how we played tonightTop of thread

Views: 2383

Not only that, FWP's projected final table has us only conceding 1 goal at home, though it only shows total goals for and against, and doesn't split out home and away. It has given us a clean sheet in the projected scores - including 0-0 v Billericay - for all 16 remaining home matches!!!

Now that really would be something special!

Previous thread: Worthing Away 21st October by WillesdenGreen10/10/2017 15:10Tue Oct 10 15:10:19 2017view thread