Return to front page

Newest article: Re: PA system at SJP by ktfcprogrammes7328/9/2023 23:09Thu Sep 28 23:09:24 2023view thread

Oldest article: "Hither & Thither"? by alan ainsworth24/11/2013 12:59Sun Nov 24 12:59:08 2013view thread

MenuSearch

Next thread: NLP Featured game by David B29/9/2017 14:32Fri Sep 29 14:32:13 2017view thread

Last Night

By John Rogers27/9/2017 08:00Wed Sep 27 08:00:31 2017

Views: 2632

This set of players has plenty of character doesn't it? Each time they've been defeated, they've bounced back strongly with a stonking result next time around.

I thought we were second best for the first half an hour last night, Jake Eggleton had a bit of trouble getting to grips with Max Worsfold, but as the game wore on then largely marked him out of proceedings and although not quite on it early on, we defended well and restricted Staines to partial openings in front of goal. The settled back-four is reaping dividends.

Of course, the plaudits will rightly go once again to Niko, who was outstanding both in front of goal and with his hold-up and link-up play. He is clearly full of confidence and the way he took his first goal epitomised that. The ball to Zak for his goal was measured to perfection as well.

However, top man for me was Michael Corocoran at the heart of the midfield, he was outstanding in front of the back 4, breaking up Staines attacks with interceptions, headers and well-judged challenges as well as using the ball calmly and intelligently. In the coming weeks with Casey looking as though he'll be out fairly long-term, his partnership with big Dave, who was equally impressive, will be vital to us doing well.

Lots of pace, trickery and threat going forward as the game progressed, Daniel Uchechi nearing fitness again. I can't recall the last time the manager had so many genuine options in the final third. It's a real tonic to watch after the struggles of the last two seasons. Well done, all.

reply to this article | return to the front page

Re: Last Night

By Claremont Man27/9/2017 13:18Wed Sep 27 13:18:48 2017In response to Last NightTop of thread

Views: 2488

A hugely satisfying result last night,pity there weren't more there to witness it. Early days yet but optimism is beginning to build up amongst the faithful,let's hope that the team can stay together and resist the lure of the moneybags clubs. To do this will require the stayaways to come regularly,otherwise we will have to consider sending out the press gangs. Just a word or two about this season's programme, absolutely brilliant,all concerned with it should be proud of themselves.

By johnnybaker27/9/2017 13:15Wed Sep 27 13:15:07 2017In response to Last NightTop of thread

Views: 2486

Totally agree with everything said. Staines were powerful and ended up over playing the long ball, looking for knock downs. Once we started to win the second ball we looked solid and played our way through them. The contrast in styles was very interesting. Special mention to Tom in goal who made another superb point blank save at 1-0. It was a game changer. So exciting to watch this team most weeks and how they keep bouncing back. In the four home league matches, 13 goals for, none against.

By rwakeley27/9/2017 16:59Wed Sep 27 16:59:39 2017In response to Re: Last NightTop of thread

Views: 2490

I thought it was one of those regimented type affairs with rigid banks playing some ping-pong. Overall, I thought the game was characterized by the Eggleton. I like the lad a lot. Interesting how they targeted him early. Interesting to see when he decided to go on the over-lap and how he was left some-what exposed. Big Dave stepped in on several occasions to cover in the way Casey would. Big Dave back to his best of two years ago.
What a servant that lad has been. There were times when Jake could have moved but we lack a Casey type pass to square pass. Matt's role seems to differentiate in this functionality. Consequently, I would not say we won the midfield battle and the fluency is slightly out of skelter.
The real positive is that as demonstrated on Saturday at the start of the second half we can light the touch paper for a 15 minute spell and the opposition just stand there wondering what the hell has just hit them.
Niko's first, I thought had a deflection, it appeared to deviate. The twitter footage suggests not. Majestic.
The team spirit looks great, everyone's up for the next instalment. These lads are playing some exceptional stuff. The defence, still yet to concede at home in the league, keeping us alive, until we ignite. I wouldn't say it's arrogance, that maybe not be correct narrative, but the desire and the belief is apparent.
Keep going - very well done.

By dw27/9/2017 19:51Wed Sep 27 19:51:14 2017In response to Re: Last NightTop of thread

Views: 2432

I totally agree on Dave D. I could not make yesterday's match but having seen him on several earlier occasions this season, he is clearly way ahead of last season's form and back to his best.

By richhend27/9/2017 17:20Wed Sep 27 17:20:53 2017In response to Re: Last NightTop of thread

Views: 2539

I was standing near directly behind the side of the goal where Nico scored his first goal. I didn't see the actual shot as there were bodies in the way and I don't reckon the keeper did either. Not sure whether it took a deflection but it did spin visciously right into the corner of the goal. Having seen the video, the ball does seem to pick up pace when it strikes the pitch. I do wonder if this would have happened on a grass pitch?

Previous thread: Free-kicks! by richhend26/9/2017 12:53Tue Sep 26 12:53:17 2017view thread