Return to front page

Newest article: Re: PA system at SJP by ktfcprogrammes7328/9/2023 23:09Thu Sep 28 23:09:24 2023view thread

Oldest article: "Hither & Thither"? by alan ainsworth24/11/2013 12:59Sun Nov 24 12:59:08 2013view thread

MenuSearch

Next thread: Cheap Train Travel to Folkestone! by jimsredwhiteandgreen20/9/2017 22:27Wed Sep 20 22:27:58 2017view thread

I've just broke the sound barrier!

By rwakeley12/9/2017 21:56Tue Sep 12 21:56:47 2017

Views: 3176

And possibly violated the club's foul language policy in the process!
GET IN THERE!
On paper, that was the one fixture which filled me with trepidation. 4 clean sheets in 7 games - second in the league.
I can only envisage the onslaught we were put under. Sounds as if Lovelock has come to the rescue throughout. What a last line of defence that lad is - I know the team must have been outstanding - Bray cleared one of the line on Saturday. Keeping with the boxing analogy - we went toe to toe and delivered a knockout blow! What a way to win a fight!
The sheer physical presence of Dulwich, nullified for a full ninety.
Interesting to see how we handle the enforced break.
That must be one of our best league performances in years.
That's a sit up and take note kind of performance.
Credit to everyone - Wow.

Edited by rwakeley at 22:00:49 on 12th September 2017

reply to this article | return to the front page

Re: I've just broke the sound barrier!

By Colchester Don (<blank>)13/9/2017 08:13Wed Sep 13 08:13:14 2017In response to I've just broke the sound barrier!Top of thread

Views: 3007

Just looked at the Dulwich twitter page. Is a cheeseburger really seven quid?

Re: I've just broke the sound barrier!

By SteveHFC13/9/2017 08:59Wed Sep 13 08:59:41 2017In response to Re: I've just broke the sound barrier!Top of thread

Views: 3010

Cheapest burger was £6, most expensive was £9. To be fair they looked decent, but I wouldn't pay that for a burger at football.

That was a really good team performance last night, very much backs to the wall at times, but the back four were very solid, and for much of the second half, whilst Dulwich had a lot of possession, they couldn't get past the two banks of four we'd set up. Tactically superb by Gary & co.

We often looked dangerous when attacking, and whilst it was 0-0 I always felt we could nick a goal - which we did. Late on as well Dulwich had started panicking as they searched for the goal they felt they deserved and were shooting high and wide.

Josh took his goal really well - I was impressed with him when he played pre-season - and the other debutant, James Rogers-Oben had a very good 45 minutes at right back in the second half.

With a few knocks being picked up in the last couple of games, the weekend break is coming at the right time to give the guys a chance to recover.

And that's why we bother

By Scarborough_Rob13/9/2017 12:47Wed Sep 13 12:47:58 2017In response to Re: I've just broke the sound barrier!Top of thread

Views: 3103

There's a certain inevitability about a winner at the death from a visiting side who have been under the pump most of the match. The away fans can sniff it, home fans know it's coming. It seems the only ones who haven't read the script are the home defenders.

How stunningly beautiful it is when it is your team that scores it.

Most of you boys and girls have decades under your belts watching Hendon, but surely that performance is right up there? One of those nights that those among the relatively low turn out of away fans will regale friends with the words "I was there".

All fourteen who pulled on the shirt were warriors; allied by the brilliant nous of Gary and the team who got it bang on; especially with pushing Big Dave into midfield after half time. If there's a better keeper than Tom Lovelock at this level, then I'd be astonished.

Just a pity we aren't travelling to Hemel on Saturday, but the break will do one or two good. I was knackered just treading the terracing. I hope none of our lads had an early shift this morning.

Always a good experience at Dulwich. Hamlet played some lovely quick passing football. They'd have put many other teams in our division away for 4 or 5 last night.

Credit to them as a club for utilising the gentrification of the area, introducing expensive food with posh billing along with craft beers. They've made it a trendy place to be. Young professionals pay daft money for the latest trends. The football is merely a sideshow to many of them. £6 for a burger? I paid that to watch two matches in the Vase over the weekend.

Trying to think of ideas how we can attract a new generation to SJP; especially in the 20 to 40 year bracket. This team deserve support in numbers. The football club deserves any finances that extra crowds would provide; as do those at SJP for their support. Perhaps writing to local businesses offering a group ticket for midweek games after work?

Just about a perfect evening for me with Scarborough also winning; 5-2 away from home. I needed it after watching Yorkshire's bowlers running through treacle and being dispatched to all parts at The Oval for a couple of hours.

Oh for more evening's like last night.

Edited by Scarborough_Rob at 12:48:33 on 13th September 2017

Re: And that's why we bother

By Claremont Man13/9/2017 13:38Wed Sep 13 13:38:27 2017In response to And that's why we botherTop of thread

Views: 3001

A terrific display by the team last night,Dulwich attacked non stop with speed and flair,but simply could not find a way through our determined defence.To cap it all we nicked it at the death with a quality goal in added time. Have to admit the whole set up at Champion Hill is first class and they deserve to go on to higher plains. Not so long ago they were struggling to survive ,look at them now. I remember the days we used to go there and bang in 7 or 8 goals against them and their cohabitees Cor.Casuals on the old ground,but last night's match was a real win definitely not the walk in the park of old.

And don?t leave away games early

By David B13/9/2017 14:50Wed Sep 13 14:50:59 2017In response to Re: And that's why we botherTop of thread

Views: 3030

Here?s a weird statistic. All of our last four away games have had a goal with almost the last kick:

Saturday 26 August (Brightlingsea) ? They snatched the winner.
Tuesday 5 September (Wingate & Finchley) ? Spencer McCall added an insurance goal in the FA Cup
Saturday 9 September (Metropolitan Police) ? Keagan Cole slammed home the rebound from his saved penalty.
Tuesday 12 September (Dulwich Hamlet) ? Under the cosh for almost 98 minutes, Josh Walker snatched 3 points.

Re: And don?t leave away games early

By richhend15/9/2017 16:20Fri Sep 15 16:20:37 2017In response to And don?t leave away games earlyTop of thread

Views: 2869

Sadly I failed to consult my crystal ball on Tuesday, so failed to foresee Mr Ballheimer's sensible exhortation not to leave games early.

Imagine my feelings having fled early to ensure I caught the 9:51 flier from East Dulwich. Taking shelter from the rain I looked at my phone in astonishment to see not only had we scored but won the game.

First off, I thought Dulwich played some fine football and it was fortunate for us that they had several of their first-choice players out injured. But for this, it might have been a massacre

Thanks to Steve for the video link. A remarkable goal. If it had been scored in the Premiership the pundits would have been drooling over it. That cross-field pass from Matt Ball reminded me of the sort of pass Gunter Nether used to produce in that fine West German side of the '70s.

Moving on, the greatest goal keeping display I can recall was John Swannell's in the 1-0 defeat of Enfield on 27 December 1971. Enfield had us under the cosh for the majority of the game. No mean feat given the quality of that Hendon side but Swannell caught, blocked, saved or punched away everything they threw at us. We won with a rare attack culminating in Andy Williams parrying a shot from John Connell only for Roy Butler to tap in the rebound.

That bit of history out of the way, I have to say Tom Lovelock's performance was of the highest order. Given the territorial superiority that Dulwich enjoyed, we should have been slaughtered but Tom stopped everything that was fired at him. A truly stunning display.

You have to have some sympathy with the Dulwich goal keeper. After the Billericay player scored from within his own half it must have been a sickener losing to Josh's strike having had nothing to do in the rest of the game.

By Simon15/9/2017 21:03Fri Sep 15 21:03:31 2017In response to Re: And don?t leave away games earlyTop of thread

Views: 2820

I was wondering if anyone would mention John Swannell's performance against Enfield.

As good as Tom's performance on Tuesday was, my (not so vivid) memory of the "Swannell game" was that he repelled wave after wave after wave after wave of Enfield attacks.

I was watching in the stand that day - no idea why - and I'll never forget the noise that was generated as he came off to a standing ovation.

Edited by Simon at 21:03:55 on 15th September 2017

By David B15/9/2017 22:35Fri Sep 15 22:35:26 2017In response to Re: And don?t leave away games earlyTop of thread

Views: 2835

And two others of more recent vintages:

Jan-Gert Wagenaar in the FA Cup at Dover, 1996
Ben McNamara in the Robert Dyas Cup Final, 2015

I remember Arthur Paisley having a ?career? day at Dagenham and after the game he spoke about every goalkeeper at the level being capable of having great games. The best did it most matches and almost never had bad games; the others just occasionally had great games and simply weren?t consistent.

By John Rogers16/9/2017 00:06Sat Sep 16 00:06:15 2017In response to Re: And don?t leave away games earlyTop of thread

Views: 2964

And that's a very good point, I think. For me, the difference between a good keeper at our level and an average keeper is the number of goals they are culpable for. Personally, and I admit I haven't seen anything like every game Tom has played, I can't think of a goal he has conceded that has been down to a glaring error on his part.

In contrast, other keepers - Ben McNamara included, have been obviously culpable for goals conceded, or made quite obvious errors of judgement that have gone unpunished.

What I like best about Tom is that he is unfussy. He does the simple things well and without drama - like Gary. In my view he is the best keeper we have had since the gaffer by some distance, both in terms of quality and most importantly, consistency.

By Mike Cox16/9/2017 16:49Sat Sep 16 16:49:42 2017In response to Re: And don?t leave away games earlyTop of thread

Views: 2817

Highly recommend the 20 minutes or so of DHFCTV highlights. What a performance and a really sublime goal.

By John Rogers14/9/2017 10:10Thu Sep 14 10:10:37 2017In response to And don?t leave away games earlyTop of thread

Views: 2953

There's a decent little stat-attack on Josh Walker's time at Fulham below.

http://fulham.wikia.com/wiki/Josh_Walker

Seen the goal again on YouTube this morning, it wasn't just a brilliant strike - but the ping from Matt Ball into Josh was excellent as was the way Walker took the ball down and worked himself space for the strike.

It was a masterclass in executing a game plan on Tuesday night. Even though we didn't keep the ball well enough and put ourselves under pressure as a result, we looked a little more organised first half in the 3-5-2 than we usually do and then much better when Gary made the switch to 4-5-1 at the break. Both debutants were excellent, no complaints about the red card for big Dave - nothing malicious, simply slightly mistimed - messrs Bray & Lee continue to impress at the heart of the defence and Tom was simply inspired.

Last season, we would have been 3-0 down inside an hour. There's a lot of grit and heart amongst this set of players.

By John Rogers14/9/2017 15:43Thu Sep 14 15:43:53 2017In response to Re: And don?t leave away games earlyTop of thread

Views: 2995

For the record, goal can be found very near the end of this.

https://t.co/Hl8DQAlKgi?amp=1

Previous thread: Two awards by David B11/9/2017 15:14Mon Sep 11 15:14:56 2017view thread