Return to front page

Newest article: Re: PA system at SJP by ktfcprogrammes7328/9/2023 23:09Thu Sep 28 23:09:24 2023view thread

Oldest article: "Hither & Thither"? by alan ainsworth24/11/2013 12:59Sun Nov 24 12:59:08 2013view thread

MenuSearch

Next thread: McCann v Mckimm by rwakeley13/8/2017 01:03Sun Aug 13 01:03:46 2017view thread

News & Rumours

By SteveHFC27/4/2017 22:00Thu Apr 27 22:00:36 2017

Views: 6427

First up - tonight's play off semi finals saw Bognor beat Wingate 2-1 and Dulwich beat Enfield 4-2. Crowds were 1001 and 2517 respectively. Final on Monday therefore is Bognor v Dulwich at Nyewood Lane. Wouldn't like to call that one.

Billericay's new meglomanic manager/owner has let 7 players go. Ollie Sprague wasn't one of them - he's still there at the moment.

Wealdstone are not eligible for the Conference South play-offs if they finish 7th (Poole and Hungerford are also ineligible for ground grading reasons - National League will allow clubs in 6th and 7th to enter play offs if they have sufficient ground grading and higher clubs don't) as they didn't get enough seats installed by the 31st March deadline. Conference and the FA say they had no idea the Stones had installed the seats until they asked for an informal ground inspection on April 21st. Reading their forum, some thought that the club had let the authorities know they were going ahead but had been let down by a supplier. Either the FA & League are lying or their directors are lying. Be interesting to find out which it is!

Rumour, and emphasis on rumour, is that Harrow Borough may have a lifeline and gain a reprieve. Gosport Borough who were relegated from Conference South last week are struggling financially and are considering taking a further two level voluntary demotion back to the Wessex League. If this happens, Harrow stand to gain the reprieve for having the best points per game record of the clubs finishing 21st at Step 3. We'll have to wait and see on that one.

reply to this article | return to the front page

Worthing's pitch

By richhend9/8/2017 13:40Wed Aug 9 13:40:23 2017In response to News & RumoursTop of thread

Views: 4871

Worthing's 3G pitch has failed a FIFA test and they may not be able to play on it this season. See:-

https://worthingfc.com/2017/08/08/club-statement-pitch-fails-fifa-testing/

Re: Worthing's pitch

By Morgs9/8/2017 15:41Wed Aug 9 15:41:53 2017In response to Worthing's pitchTop of thread

Views: 4842

FIFA have been monitoring Worthing?
Pleasant enough place, but thought Blatter could afford to retire somewhere more upmarket.
Don't recall Worthing being any more susceptible to flooding than, say, Maidstone... or Kingsbury... or Merthyr.
Someone will be in schtuck over this.
How uneven does it have to be in order to be classified as unsafe? We can't be talking potholes, can we?
A bit rum for anyone who booked a BH weekend excursion to Worthing, or any other early season excursion to Worthing.

By Hendonboy10/8/2017 10:51Thu Aug 10 10:51:12 2017In response to Re: Worthing's pitchTop of thread

Views: 4822

www.fifa.com/mm/document/afdeveloping/pitchequip/fqc_requirements_manual_march_2006_326.pdf

This might answer your questions about the requirements for the pitch to pass testing - the table with requirements is halfway down the page; 2 star pitches are only required in the Conference.

By Morgs12/8/2017 02:33Sat Aug 12 02:33:31 2017In response to Re: Worthing's pitchTop of thread

Views: 4660

Cheers, Hitchcock!
Very informative, as usual.

By Morgs9/8/2017 16:24Wed Aug 9 16:24:33 2017In response to Re: Worthing's pitchTop of thread

Views: 4863

Aha!
The company supplying the pitch are "approved" as contractors by FIFA.
That being so, it's $?n$ib£? that they're involved.

Edited by Morgs at 16:25:00 on 9th August 2017
Edited by Morgs at 16:25:34 on 9th August 2017

Today's signings and injured players

By richhend6/8/2017 12:32Sun Aug 6 12:32:19 2017In response to News & RumoursTop of thread

Views: 4950

Good news about the signing of the two full-backs.

Anyone know how close our injured players are to returning? I believe that Casey is injured and on his Twitter message on joining the club Michael Corcoran indicated he was injured.

Re: Today's signings and injured players

By ChrisHFC6/8/2017 20:11Sun Aug 6 20:11:56 2017In response to Today's signings and injured playersTop of thread

Views: 4930

Chima Daniel Uchechi - to give him his full name as per Wikipedia - is anything but a full-back. Judging by his pre-season performances, he seems to prefer playing outside-left (to use old time terminology), but is not averse to playing down the middle or dropping back into midfield. He is also prepared to go back to help in defence at times.

Jake Eggleton has been playing chiefly at right-back, but appears to be comfortable at centre-back as well.

Casey was at VCD yesterday, but only watching from the stand. Although we spoke for several minutes, I only sought his thoughts on the squad so far, and didn't ask about his possible return.

Edited by ChrisHFC at 20:14:14 on 6th August 2017

By SteveHFC6/8/2017 20:44Sun Aug 6 20:44:55 2017In response to Re: Today's signings and injured playersTop of thread

Views: 5044

I overheard Mark Findley talking to another supporter during the Ebbsfleet game and he said Casey wasn't expected to make the start of the season, but said no more than that. I know that Michael Corcoran has been carrying a knock as well which is why we've not seen him yet but I believe Gary was hoping he'd be ready for next week - we'll have to wait and see.

By rwakeley7/8/2017 12:21Mon Aug 7 12:21:45 2017In response to Re: Today's signings and injured playersTop of thread

Views: 4874

Further rumours doing the rounds on Saturday. Ollie and Marcel maybe on the look-out. Wishful thinking perhaps. Either one of those for me would change the dynamic and consolidate. I rated Marcel, several others are somewhat more sceptical. Other fans rated the centre-half Curtis Ujah - I didn't - so what do we know!
To lose both Marcel and Karl, both of whom were instrumental in the last run-in is a challenge for the Gaffer.
Very impressed with the lad Eggleton. He looks a complete natural.
Interesting to see how the Gaffer goes. Both he and Bray are raw and come up against the likes of Elder on Saturday. I'm led to believe the lad Wheeler has left Tonbridge, so the incoming may not have the same venom.
Expecting Tonbridge and Enfield to be slick through the middle. Fascinating couple of openers.
Whatever happens early on, I believe we need some patience to access our options. At least this time out we appear to have some versatility and cover. The Gaffer will have us well organised.
Good luck lads - enjoy!

Daniel Uchechi?

By Morgs7/8/2017 14:11Mon Aug 7 14:11:06 2017In response to Re: Today's signings and injured playersTop of thread

Views: 4883

Seriously?
He'd have been high up my "Billericay" list.
Two divisions too good for this level.
If he stays fit... & if he can be found a role.

James Harper

By Hail Hail7/8/2017 20:23Mon Aug 7 20:23:01 2017In response to Daniel Uchechi?Top of thread

Views: 4934

Does anyone know if James Harper has signed for a club this season?

Re: James Harper

By ChrisHFC7/8/2017 22:35Mon Aug 7 22:35:46 2017In response to James HarperTop of thread

Views: 4817

No idea, but as he'll be 37 in November, he may have decided to hang his boots up at the end of last season.

By John Rogers8/8/2017 08:01Tue Aug 8 08:01:39 2017In response to Re: James HarperTop of thread

Views: 4886

I suspect we won't be seeing James in a Hendon shirt this season as he certainly hasn't signed so far and hasn't been seen in pre season. I think he was travelling in from the Reading area so, if he hasn't hung up his boots, is probably looking for something closer to home.

By Hendon5910/8/2017 07:22Thu Aug 10 07:22:45 2017In response to Re: James HarperTop of thread

Views: 4881

He played for Hungerford in the National league south at the weekend. Did a great job for us last season but the new crop this year look even better. COYG

By embee10/8/2017 10:10Thu Aug 10 10:10:07 2017In response to Re: James HarperTop of thread

Views: 4775

Good luck to him and hope he can hold himself together for as many more years as he wants to play. Did a great job last season.

Arthur Peel

By richhend31/7/2017 16:11Mon Jul 31 16:11:19 2017In response to News & RumoursTop of thread

Views: 5265

Just seen on the Wealdstone Twitter feed that an ex-player called Arthur Peel has died. Did he play for us as well?

Re: Arthur Peel

By ChrisHFC31/7/2017 16:49Mon Jul 31 16:49:03 2017In response to Arthur PeelTop of thread

Views: 5122

Arthur Peel was an England Amateur International who joined us from Wealdstone. He made his debut for us on 3rd March 1964, and his final appearance came on 3rd April 1965. He was an outside-right who could play on the other flank if needed. His competitive record for us was 37 appearances, 6 goals.

RIP Arthur

Edited by ChrisHFC at 21:33:20 on 31st July 2017

By John Rogers31/7/2017 16:40Mon Jul 31 16:40:24 2017In response to Arthur PeelTop of thread

Views: 5008

He did indeed, during the mid 1960s.

http://www.hendonfc.net/Squad?method=view&id=784

I'm sure others of a greater vintage than I will have memories of him.

By David B31/7/2017 17:28Mon Jul 31 17:28:31 2017In response to Re: Arthur PeelTop of thread

Views: 5216

Sadly, Arthur Peel was a considerable time before I started watching the Greens, but I have done some quick research ? thanks to Chris, Steve and Phil Rogers, yet again, for the awesome amount of information available on this website and to Peter Lush for the information in the Hendon history book.

Arthur made his debut on 3 March 1964, our first season in the Isthmian League, a 5-0 win over Hitchin Town at Top Field, and played his final game exactly 13 months later, a 6-0 defeat of Corinthian-Casuals at Claremont Road, when he scored the last of his six Hendon goals. A right-winger, Arthur played almost no part in the run to the Amateur Cup victory over Whitby Town, but he did net one of the goals in our 8-0 Middlesex Senior Cup semi-final victory over Harrow Town. Earlier in the season, he played in FA Cup tie against Port Vale and also won Middlesex County honours whilst with Hendon.

In his 13 months, Arthur found himself behind Roy Drake in the pecking order for the No.7 shirt, but he still made 37 appearances for the Greens (29 in the Isthmian League and eight in various cup competitions). When he left Hendon, Arthur joined Wembley as Player-Coach.

By Mike Cox2/8/2017 13:42Wed Aug 2 13:42:44 2017In response to Re: Arthur PeelTop of thread

Views: 4967

Arthur was a very engaging and talented little winger who was always good value. Unfortunately for Arthur, his chances were somewhat limited due to the plethora of superb players we had at our disposal in the halcyon days of the mid-sixties.
Condolences to his family.

By dw5/8/2017 00:16Sat Aug 5 00:16:01 2017In response to Re: Arthur PeelTop of thread

Views: 4992

It should be remembered that even in the unquestionable finest era of the club, when Hendon drew at St James Park Newcastle 1-1, against one of the greatest ever Newcastle teams (they went on to the FA Cup final), that only twelve players were named for any match. The poor substitute was usually overlooked, simply because risks could not be taken. The mid-sixties may well be recalled as halcyon days, but in reality the early to mid seventies will have to go down as the peak, at least so far. Let's also remember that Reading and Orient have both been defeated in the FA Cup post the sixties. These remain as the only two victories against league opposition.

Edited by dw at 00:34:36 on 5th August 2017

By Mike Cox5/8/2017 11:25Sat Aug 5 11:25:26 2017In response to Re: Arthur PeelTop of thread

Views: 5025

Comparing two great eras is so difficult and all comes down to personal and unprovable opinion - let's just agree that the decade or so from mid-60s to mid-70s was Hendon's finest.

By David B5/8/2017 21:18Sat Aug 5 21:18:02 2017In response to Re: Arthur PeelTop of thread

Views: 4918

My answer is simple, Hendon?s finest era was the third quarter of the last century, from 1949?74. Any arguments?

By StAlbansDon5/8/2017 21:42Sat Aug 5 21:42:32 2017In response to Re: Arthur PeelTop of thread

Views: 4887

Whilst I might agree that it was the best era on the pitch life is about survival and sustainability! So isn't the best achievement for Hendon FC is to be in existence today due to a few number of hardy souls ?

Karl Oliyide

By richhend31/7/2017 11:18Mon Jul 31 11:18:31 2017In response to News & RumoursTop of thread

Views: 5177

Seems to have joined the ex-Enfield colony at Braintree.

Curtis Ujah

By richhend18/7/2017 14:50Tue Jul 18 14:50:39 2017In response to News & RumoursTop of thread

Views: 5038

Played for us in the Hemel game last Saturday. Now signed for Harrow Borough.

Re: Curtis Ujah

By dw19/7/2017 22:42Wed Jul 19 22:42:51 2017In response to Curtis UjahTop of thread

Views: 5032

Looked impressive against Hemel. Also played against Hanwell which I didn't see. He has a very good pedigree. Mainly Chesham. But, as ever, so many factors come into consideration. That is the ups and downs of trialists. I think I spotted the trialist on Saturday from the fifth tier of French football who tried to get a trial at Arsenal earlier this year. He looked good as well.

Times are changing. Who knows how many former trialists are earning big salaries elsewhere. There again, perhaps they are still hoping for an opportunity. Let's all be patient.

Re: News & Rumours - Hendon old boy

By richhend3/7/2017 19:22Mon Jul 3 19:22:39 2017In response to News & RumoursTop of thread

Views: 5266

Junior Lewis has joined Dagenham as Assistant Manager.

Re: News & Rumours

By richhend23/6/2017 17:39Fri Jun 23 17:39:47 2017In response to News & RumoursTop of thread

Views: 6503

The link below is to a lengthy blog by Nikki Bull the former Margate goal keeper and manager covering the goings on at the club during their promotion season and afterwards.

https://footbullworld.com/2017/05/16/my-time-at-margate-where-do-i-start/

Two interesting points strike me; the suggestion that the Margate promotion team underperformed - some players just there for the money?

Second, Bull reckons that the Billericay bloke has got things right by simultaneously developing the off-field infrastructure to take the club forward in addition strengthening the team.

In other news Leatherhead look to be spending the Kingstonian rent money on a raft of ex-football league and conference players.

I did read part of the discussion on the Leatherhead forum a while back. The situation seemed to be that the club directors had blown the money on the playing budget and we're seeking to relocate the club to a new site much to the disgust of the supporters. Not sure what the current situation is by I imagine both Leatherhead and the Ks must be praying for a dry winter.

Judging by the signings, Margate appear to have acquired a fresh pile of cash.

Lastly, I see the old Enfield manager has moved to Braintree and taken half the Enfield team with him. Thought that sort of thing had disappeared with the abolition of the old amateur status.

By dw26/6/2017 21:50Mon Jun 26 21:50:03 2017In response to Re: News & RumoursTop of thread

Views: 5161

I see that Nikki Bull says that Margate just about got promotion to The Conference South in 2015. So true. Had the Enfield fiasco not denied us two key players, (as against the financial clout of Margate's ability to pay for the return of Ryan Moss), plus the dismissal of Aaron Morgan (rightly rescinded on appeal- but too late), then who knows.....it still rankles. But happily we have moved on and the club now looks more stable than for many years. Continuity is the key. After a great finish to last season the future really is bright.

By John Rogers23/6/2017 17:48Fri Jun 23 17:48:30 2017In response to Re: News & RumoursTop of thread

Views: 5254

I can kind of see what Bull means about the guy at Billericay, he does seem to be spending plenty on getting the infrastructure sorted as well as spending way more than is necessary on the team.

Enfield Town have announced the signing of Joe Wright as their new keeper.

Prospects for the new season

By richhend10/8/2017 13:58Thu Aug 10 13:58:45 2017In response to Re: News & RumoursTop of thread

Views: 4756

A number of forecasts for the new season have Hendon finishing very near the bottom of the table. Against that, tipsters have Enfield, who have lost nearly a whole team in the top half of the table, if not the play-off spots.

At present I find it quite difficult to guess how we will fare as I don't think we have seen what is potentially our strongest team take the field yet.

I've said before that after the trauma of the last two season I would be content with a mid-table finish and a good run in the two main cup competitions. Anything better than this will be a bonus.

What do others think about our prospects for 2017/18?

Re: Prospects for the new season

By rwakeley10/8/2017 16:32Thu Aug 10 16:32:10 2017In response to Prospects for the new seasonTop of thread

Views: 4821

With regards to the usual play-off candidates, I think they've all lost something. I think this season is a golden opportunity for somebody to shake off the shackles and take the bull by the horns.
Objectively, questions remain with regards to the defence. We have struggled to replace Seebs and Elliott. If resilient at the back we have to be optimistic. If we gel, teams will not like coming to SJP.
Personally, I'm salivating at the first two games, (hotel booked for the latter), which means it will probably get postponed! If successful on the playing front, I would clump ourselves with both Enfield and Tonbridge as being more of an equal footing. With all the innovations which have gone on behind the scenes pre-season hopefully we are primed to compete. I think there's a fag paper separating our three clubs. There's hope that on the attendances front we will catch-up and potentially exceed.
Tonbridge have never won anything, ourselves and Enfield, I perceive at this level as a another potential sleeping giant. I see a potential 3-way battle between ourselves. Ironically, first two up, I think both Enfield and Tonbridge offer an interesting barometer.

By BryanR28/4/2017 15:46Fri Apr 28 15:46:55 2017In response to News & RumoursTop of thread

Views: 5925

Bi££ericay have just published their season ticket prices. Pretty expensive all things considered, even for the inevitable champions. Hope we maintain our affordability next season.

Re: News & Rumours - Harrow B.

By rwakeley12/5/2017 16:50Fri May 12 16:50:11 2017In response to Re: News & RumoursTop of thread

Views: 5731

Developments today concerning Worcester City - demoted 3 divisions into the Midland League. That's a cliff drop, compared to the Conference North. Probably not wise to raise expectations up the road at Earlsmead, but I would imagine a few ears were pricked up.
We may well get our annual Boxing Day bonanza back - worth keeping an eye on.
Trust everybody is well.

By geemickey12/5/2017 17:07Fri May 12 17:07:25 2017In response to Re: News & Rumours - Harrow B.Top of thread

Views: 5734

Fingers crossed for Borough.
It may be better if they get transferred to the Southern Premier, but nothing lost if they don't

By embee12/5/2017 21:47Fri May 12 21:47:37 2017In response to Re: News & Rumours - Harrow B.Top of thread

Views: 5691

What about if Leyton Orient are demoted to the Ryman Premier? Would York be reprieved, with Orient taking Worcester's place at our level?

Would give Gary the chance for 1997 style Heroics all over again.

But then maybe we'd be off to the Southern League!

And if Gosport fold as some predict (they withdrew from their County cup final unable to field a team) that's another spot at our level.

All speculation of course but good fun to occupy these quiet weeks!

By David B14/5/2017 11:36Sun May 14 11:36:09 2017In response to Re: News & Rumours - Harrow B.Top of thread

Views: 5596

Worcester City, according to their website?s news story issuing a press release from club directors, they have been demoted to the Midland League (Step 5).

If Leyton Orient go out of business then the FA regulation is that a new club would start at Step 5, in their case the Essex Senior League. However, there is a thought that the Os would be put in Step 4, Ryman North.

I haven?t been able to find anything definitive about Gosport Borough, but everything will become clear after the various league AGMs ? but there is talk of a winding up order going to court next week.

By SteveHFC14/5/2017 14:08Sun May 14 14:08:36 2017In response to Re: News & Rumours - Harrow B.Top of thread

Views: 5657

Link to the FA's document of the league allocations is now on the website. Harrow's reprieve is officially confirmed.

It's all gone quiet at Gosport in the past few weeks, been following that on the Portsmouth Evening News website, so hopefully they are managing to get things sorted.

Two new clubs for us to play next season - Brightlingsea Regent and Dorking Wanderers.

By PF16/5/2017 12:06Tue May 16 12:06:41 2017In response to Re: News & Rumours - Harrow B.Top of thread

Views: 5507

Good for Harrow. Didn't deserve relegation. Also only one team getting relegated next season. The Greens should just about be able to avoid that he says... :-) Though it does make the season a little less exciting unless of course you are challenging at the top! Haha!

By SteveHFC16/5/2017 22:24Tue May 16 22:24:26 2017In response to Re: News & Rumours - Harrow B.Top of thread

Views: 5413

Gosport Borough have had their case dismissed by the courts and will be playing in the Southern League Premier next season.

By John Rogers19/5/2017 17:19Fri May 19 17:19:42 2017In response to Re: News & Rumours - Harrow B.Top of thread

Views: 5470

Enfield Town have lost their manager - Bradley Quinton has gone to another of his former clubs where he was for many years in the guise of freshly relegated from the National League Premier Division, Braintree Town.

Would be lovely if the Towners would appoint a manager that let us beat them in the league now.

By Mike Cox20/5/2017 14:08Sat May 20 14:08:06 2017In response to Re: News & Rumours - Harrow B.Top of thread

Views: 5482

If only!

Previous thread: Hendon v Hertford friendly - highlights by johnnybaker8/8/2017 21:24Tue Aug 8 21:24:36 2017view thread