Return to front page

Newest article: Re: PA system at SJP by ktfcprogrammes7328/9/2023 23:09Thu Sep 28 23:09:24 2023view thread

Oldest article: "Hither & Thither"? by alan ainsworth24/11/2013 12:59Sun Nov 24 12:59:08 2013view thread

MenuSearch

Next thread: My season round up by PF16/5/2017 15:57Tue May 16 15:57:49 2017view thread

OT- Summer plans and activities?

By PF27/4/2017 14:26Thu Apr 27 14:26:55 2017

Views: 2568

Now that the winter is over and the season is done at a non-league level at least, what do you people do for fun in the summer? There's no summer football championship this year so football is out completely and probably for the better.

Personally I like cricket but I'm not in love with it either. I do like the 20/20 blast though. I have already bought my tickets for that at Lords and the Oval. I will go to the Middx v Surrey and the return at the Oval. I'm thinking about a one day international but it might be sold out. The South Africa test at Lords is another possibility as is the Windies tour towards the end of summer but football will have started up by then so I won't be giving two hoots for cricket by then!.

I liked to play a little bit of golf in my younger days. I sed to go to that small club in Harrow. The longest hole is around 200 yards. Still fun for an afternoon and I will try to do it again this summer. I also used to go to Horsenden Hill golf club in Sudbury. That one is a bit longer and more daunting for the amateur but still fun though I haven't been there in many years so I don't know how it works there now. You could just turn up before and borrow clubs.

I'd also like to visit a race meeting if I can at Windsor one day. They always have nice meetings in the summer.
As for playing more sports that'd be impossible with my many injuries. I also have to see the summer as a chance to lose more weight. Hopefully with the warmer weather the urge to eat will be lessened he says very optimistically! I've also got days trips planned for Brighton and possibly Portsmouth or Bournemouth. I like visits to the south coast. In late August there is a possibility of a week in Portugal which would be great if it happens.

What are your plans for the summer?

reply to this article | return to the front page

Re: OT- Summer plans and activities?

By David C28/4/2017 21:34Fri Apr 28 21:34:14 2017In response to OT- Summer plans and activities?Top of thread

Views: 2386

Similar to yourself PF. I am a big cricket fan and although I do not mind the 20 over game, I prefer the County Championship and the 50 over stuff. I also hope to get down to Wimbledon for the tennis and some horse racing. I hope to go to somewhere off the beaten track like Newton Abbot.
Most importantly, I aim to relax over the close season, which is something that we have not been able to do over the last eight months and especially the last four weeks!

Re: OT- Summer plans and activities? - Not long to go now!

By rwakeley29/4/2017 10:55Sat Apr 29 10:55:14 2017In response to Re: OT- Summer plans and activities?Top of thread

Views: 2394

Basically a shout out to David C.
I reckon it's only about 78 days until I dust off those pesky train timetables again.
I think this is a fascinating pre-season. Blank canvass, I still maintain we have to get a truly definitive style at SJP.
I recall watching my local side 25 years ago, they would play one public pre-season game. The annual punch-up Senior Cup Final versus Shrewsbury Town. Eventually, The Shrews fielded weaker sides, they moved the fixture and the competition was undermined to the degree where teams outside the county were invited in. That's football.
I don't know if Hendon over-indulge but a dozen friendlies is more than most. I don't know if more targeted work on a specific squad is better than weeding out also-rans. There's a lot of burden early doors. Sometimes sitting in the baking sun, both teams appear to have understandably undertaken a serene, almost Buddhist approach. I can't recall the same starting line-up versus Worthing being replicated in any of the previous dozen games. Whilst others complimented Worthing, I thought we were in trouble. For our present system to work, you need definable qualities. I have no qualms with that - but you also need a plan B.
I'm optimistic, purely based on the assumption we can't possible do any worse at home! Dependent upon personnel, I still think there is considerable scope, irrespective of personnel to concentrate on the basics.
Mediocre teams took points from us. Define the roles. Finally, I reckon at least a dozen teams on the out-set wlll be targeting the play-offs. Teams will be rewarded for resilience.

Re: OT- Summer plans and activities? - Not long to go now!

By dw9/5/2017 23:46Tue May 9 23:46:49 2017In response to Re: OT- Summer plans and activities? - Not long to go now!Top of thread

Views: 2375

I agree that the line-up against Worthing in the first match did not bode well, having seen a good proportion of the pre-season games - and so it proved. Fortunately all that is in the past now.

As for the forthcoming season, there may well be surprises ahead in terms of the proposed additional Step 3 league for 2018/19, possibly leading to fewer relegated clubs in 2017/18 and more promoted clubs from Step 4. Nothing definite as yet, but the real prospect of a fairer geographical spread of clubs from the season after next. Who knows?

Previous thread: 2 More Years + by Mike Cox5/5/2017 16:56Fri May 5 16:56:07 2017view thread