Return to front page

Newest article: Re: PA system at SJP by ktfcprogrammes7328/9/2023 23:09Thu Sep 28 23:09:24 2023view thread

Oldest article: "Hither & Thither"? by alan ainsworth24/11/2013 12:59Sun Nov 24 12:59:08 2013view thread

MenuSearch

Next thread: Ryman Play Off Final Tomorrow by PF30/4/2017 11:17Sun Apr 30 11:17:16 2017view thread

Tom Lovelock

By lesskinner25/4/2017 11:28Tue Apr 25 11:28:32 2017

Views: 3597

I have nominated Tom Lovelock for the non league paper award as goalkeeper of the year, following his performances since joining us. I think he is the best goalkeeper we have had since John Swannell.

reply to this article | return to the front page

Re: Tom Lovelock

By richhend27/4/2017 23:56Thu Apr 27 23:56:57 2017In response to Tom LovelockTop of thread

Views: 3377

What about an honourable mention for Malcolm Dalrymple. Worth a mention for his part in the 1-0 victory over Reading in the FA cup. Also, he had a good rapport with the fans. I'm sure I'm not the only one to recall the good natured chants of "Dalrymple s**t."

Re: Tom Lovelocktcu p

By dw26/4/2017 23:56Wed Apr 26 23:56:59 2017In response to Tom LovelockTop of thread

Views: 3417

Hard one this. Tom Lovelock has been tremendous, one the very best. Looking for others after the legedary John Swannel is tough, but Dave Root deserves recognition not just for his goalkeeping, but also for his loyalty.
Richard Wilmot also deserves being considered, and.............not just because he is our manager, but Gary McCann has been a massive influence on our success as a goalkeeper. I frequently recall the evening when we were drawn against Enfield in a minor cup match, and Gary was keeping for Enfield before he joined us. I thought, there's a class keeper!

Re: Tom Lovelock

By John Rogers27/4/2017 10:51Thu Apr 27 10:51:42 2017In response to Re: Tom Lovelocktcu pTop of thread

Views: 3520

I think the best I've seen play for Hendon in terms of raw goalkeeping ability was Scott Ashcroft. It's such a shame he received such a crippling injury as he could have gone a long way in the game.

Richard Wilmot and Gary are right up there and Tom has certainly shown signs of being able to be in such exalted company. Although I saw Dave Root once or twice for Hendon, he was mostly before my time.

I can't get my head around Tom beginning the season as Joe Wright's understudy at Stortford.

These you have loved!

By David B27/4/2017 12:38Thu Apr 27 12:38:55 2017In response to Re: Tom LovelockTop of thread

Views: 3584

Hendon have been blessed with so many great goalkeepers over the years as well as John Swanell.

Here are my top half-dozen, before Tom (this excludes keepers who were with us for less than three months ? i.e. Joe McDonnell).

? Mike Pinner, who played for Hendon and Manchester United, as an amateur, in the old First Division (top flight)
? Mark Broughton, who was the goalkeeper who helped to keep us up in 1985?86 (for those who were there, remember his save just before half-time in the last game at Slough!)
? Dave Root, loyal servant and so good when a transfer tribunal valued him, they priced him out of the market.
? Scott Ashcroft, whose career was cut short.
? Gary McCann, another top keeper whose career was curtailed by injury.
? Richard Wilmot, top bloke as well as an insanely brave goalkeeper ? played 15 minutes with a broken arm.

Best goalkeeping performances

By Simon28/4/2017 18:50Fri Apr 28 18:50:11 2017In response to These you have loved!Top of thread

Views: 3334

My starters for 10 ....

John Swannell at home to Enfield on 27 December 1971 when we won 1-0 (Roy Butler).

Gary Steel away to Watford in the FA Cup on 26 November 1977 when we lost 2-0.

Re: Best goalkeeping performances

By David C28/4/2017 21:41Fri Apr 28 21:41:44 2017In response to Best goalkeeping performancesTop of thread

Views: 3361

How about a goalkeeper who I don't think was at the club that long but who was magnificent in a 1-0 away win in the FA Cup at Dover Athletic in 1996...........Jan Wagenaar.

By Rabster28/4/2017 21:52Fri Apr 28 21:52:59 2017In response to Re: Best goalkeeping performancesTop of thread

Views: 3386

Great shout that.....Wagenaar had been quite ordinary up until that game & then turned into a world beater.

As a side issue myself & Mr Doner had fantastic sausage & onion sandwiches before the match in a cafe near to Dover's ground.....whatever happened to Mr Doner?

Edited by Rabster at 21:53:36 on 28th April 2017

By Simon29/4/2017 11:10Sat Apr 29 11:10:57 2017In response to Re: Best goalkeeping performancesTop of thread

Views: 3355

I am reliably informed that Mr Doner has transformed himself into Mr Vol-au-vent and can be found tucking into the same in Isthmian League boardrooms the length and breadth of the Home Counties.

By John Rogers28/4/2017 22:20Fri Apr 28 22:20:59 2017In response to Re: Best goalkeeping performancesTop of thread

Views: 3406

Two of the finest I recall are...

James Reading away at Harrow on Boxing Day 2009, I think. We won 3-0, but he put in an unbelievable performance including a double save from a penalty that was outstanding.

Scott Ashcroft away at Kingstonian on the final day of the 1995/6 season. We snatched a 1-0 win thanks to a Dave Stephenson header but without Scott we would have lost 4 or 5-1.

By David B29/4/2017 20:51Sat Apr 29 20:51:52 2017In response to Re: Best goalkeeping performancesTop of thread

Views: 3431

Great performance: How about Gary McCann at Leyton Orient?

Single save: John Loizides?s save to preserve a 2?2 draw at Tilbury was a worldy (it was very similar to Gordon Banks? effort against Pele at the 1970 World Cup).

As for Jan Wagenaar and my list, I don?t believe he played long enough for us to get into my list ? but that game at Dover was an amazing one.

By richhend29/4/2017 23:00Sat Apr 29 23:00:37 2017In response to Re: Best goalkeeping performancesTop of thread

Views: 3268

The other amazing thing was our dodgy goal. The ref must have been the only one in the ground who didn't think it was a foul just before we scored!

By David B30/4/2017 14:35Sun Apr 30 14:35:44 2017In response to Re: Best goalkeeping performancesTop of thread

Views: 3334

There was a story behind the goal. It came after John Richardson and the Dover centre-half went for a ball in the centre-circle. As the ball went on towards the Dover goal, the two players landed on the ground.

The referee and his assistant immediately looked at the two players to see if either stayed down or got up holding their heads and thus did not see Paul Kelly push the other Dover centre-half out of the way.

It was only a for a second or two, but neither of the officials were actually watching the ball and the play as their concern was for the two in the centre circle.

Following Kelly?s goal, my memory if of him running towards the Hendon left attacking corner flag with almost every Hendon player following him to celebrate. Half of the Dover team sprinted towards their left touchline to complain to the assistant referee and the other half chased the referee towards the centre circle.

I can?t remember Wagenaar joining he celebrations, but I do remember almost all of the pitch without players and three groups many yards apart from each other.

Oh happy days.

Re: These you have loved!

By Mike Cox27/4/2017 16:49Thu Apr 27 16:49:40 2017In response to These you have loved!Top of thread

Views: 3464

Here are 3 excellent keepers from the 1950s for very elderly supporters like me:-
REG IVEY - the first keeper whose name I can remember (he was in goal for us against Bishop Auckland in the 1955 Amateur Cup Final watched by 100,000 spectators and many more, like me, squinting at the live coverage on flickering 9 inch black and white TV screens)
BOB (or possibly Ted) CHAMBERS - to me as a teenager (yes believe it or not I was one once) this guy seemed incredibly old with, I remember a scarred face, who performed in an unshowy but very competent way.
PETER SHEARING - our keeper in the unforgettable 1960 Final against Kingstonian (for whom he had earlier played), a much more showy player and an excellent keeper.
However my all-time top three would have to be Swannell, Pinner and Root.

By ChrisHFC28/4/2017 15:54Fri Apr 28 15:54:56 2017In response to Re: These you have loved!Top of thread

Views: 3354

Bob Chambers is correct - he played in tthe 1955-56 season, having reputedly been on WBA's books, though not gaining Football League experience with them.

Fairly recently I saw a copy of an interview Mike Pinner gave shortly after leaving us to join Leyton Orient in 1962. In it, he said that he had not enjoyed his time with us, finding it difficult at times to concentrate because of the slowness and inaccuracy of play compared to what he was used to when playing for the likes of Manchester United, Chelsea, and others in the then First Division.

I've never thought that we saw the best of Mike Pinner, despite his gaining 9 England amateur caps during his time with us.

Like Richhend, I think that Malcolm Dalrymple deserves a mention for his performances in the mid 1970s. He was certainly popular with the fans.

One other 'old-timer' should be mentioned, though he was only with us for half a season, joining from Uxbridge in December 1960 and returning there during the summer of 1961. This is Bill Farlam, who to my knowledge was never capped, but who at the time was rated by most good judges of English amateur football as being "the best amateur goalkeeper in England, bar none". His performances for us made more impression on this then 15-year-old than anything Mike Pinner did for us.

However, like anything of this nature, this is all subjective, and everyone will have their own opinions.

By David B28/4/2017 16:11Fri Apr 28 16:11:29 2017In response to Re: These you have loved!Top of thread

Views: 3370

I am glad I have started a discussion. I also should have included Malcolm Dalrymple, who was another excellent goalkeeper, though his style of catching cross was very unorthodox. It didn?t look good or comfortable, but he didn?t seem to drop many.

By SteveHFC27/4/2017 22:11Thu Apr 27 22:11:47 2017In response to Re: These you have loved!Top of thread

Views: 3466

Saw Dave Root play a handful of times - unfortunately he'd left by the time we moved back and became regular attenders again.

Certainly Tom has been the best keeper (outside of loanees) we've had for some time. Be great if we can keep him on board for next season.

It's a shame that injuries did for Scott Ashcroft, and indeed Gary McCann - but perhaps if Gary had been able to keep on playing, he wouldn't have become our manager back in 2005.

Previous thread: well done by JD 23/4/2017 22:07Sun Apr 23 22:07:45 2017view thread