Return to front page

Newest article: Re: PA system at SJP by ktfcprogrammes7328/9/2023 23:09Thu Sep 28 23:09:24 2023view thread

Oldest article: "Hither & Thither"? by alan ainsworth24/11/2013 12:59Sun Nov 24 12:59:08 2013view thread

MenuSearch

Next thread: Enfield MSC by Scarborough_Rob21/1/2017 04:24Sat Jan 21 04:24:36 2017view thread

Tonbridge

By PF14/1/2017 08:52Sat Jan 14 08:52:37 2017

Views: 2921

So what are the hopes for today's game?

I think it's possible to get a draw but probably unlikely. But there's always a chance that things go well. I always say this but it's a no brainer really so I'll say it again. Get to HT and still be in the game. We're away against a good team so we just have to tighten up the middle and battle for scraps. Also please for the love of God, take better set pieces! That will be one of our best ways of getting something from the game so we really need to work on that aspect of our game.

I think the team will take to the field full of confidence after last week and hopefully battle it's way to a result of some description.

reply to this article | return to the front page

Re: Tonbridge

By HendonJohn14/1/2017 11:28Sat Jan 14 11:28:21 2017In response to TonbridgeTop of thread

Views: 2875

Following on from our first home win I feel the boys can move on from that. Who knows at Tonbridge. Just hope they give their all and get the travelling support singing.

By SteveHFC14/1/2017 12:27Sat Jan 14 12:27:51 2017In response to Re: TonbridgeTop of thread

Views: 2844

Disappointed I can't be there today - have had a cold hanging around for a few weeks, and been feeling particularly rough this week, although not off work. Figured staying home in the warm would be more sensible than a cold afternoon in the wilds of Kent.

Not expecting too much this afternoon - notwithstanding current league positions, Tonbridge hasn't been a happy hunting ground over the years.

That said, if we can show the effort, workrate and desire that we showed last Saturday against Merstham, then we have every chance of pulling off a result.

Fingers crossed.

By PF14/1/2017 17:07Sat Jan 14 17:07:49 2017In response to Re: TonbridgeTop of thread

Views: 2888

Well after going ahead we obviously couldn't sustain. Usual story really. Let's forget and move on quickly. Home matches against teams in the bottom half must be won from now on otherwise it's curtains!

By SteveHFC14/1/2017 19:44Sat Jan 14 19:44:07 2017In response to Re: TonbridgeTop of thread

Views: 2899

Clearly the result is disappointing (although unsurprising given our record there), but comments on the Tonbridge forum suggest we put in a decent performance, saying we created plenty of chances and didn't look like a bottom four side.

Looking on twitter, our esteemed chairman has tweeted that with a bit of luck we could have taken the points, and that the Tonbridge keeper was man of the match.

That sounds to me as if it doesn't need to all be doom and gloom, but I agree with PF that home matches against teams in the bottom half are key to be won - starting with AFC Sudbury next Saturday.

50 points is usually enough to stay up when it's 4 down from 24 - therefore we need to win 8 of our last 17 games....

By Colchester Don (<blank>)14/1/2017 20:13Sat Jan 14 20:13:44 2017In response to Re: TonbridgeTop of thread

Views: 2816

You're right Steve about Tonbridge. I don't think I've seen a win there, from memory the last trip was a 3-3 a couple of years back having raced into a 2 goal lead. A definite case of two points lost than one point gained.

Anyway, if the lads play the rest of the season like they did today, they'll do alright. And to prove it I would urge anyone to watch the highlights of the game when they are put on YouTube. You''ll see their 'keeper making a number of point blank saves - a well deserved man of the match.

Re:- Tonbridge

By rwakeley15/1/2017 01:59Sun Jan 15 01:59:28 2017In response to Re: TonbridgeTop of thread

Views: 2811

The quintessential day at Tonbridge - identical to last visit. Ironically my biggest qualm is how the Angels are not flying higher to excuse the pun.
Elder, solid footwork. Elliott Charles type anybody? Beyond the semantics, Angels delivery is out the ordinary - it's lethal. It's impossible to defend. It is begrudgingly with the utmost respect fantastic to watch. It's beautiful and clinical. It's an assassination. It's a form of cold blooded murder.
I've been watching, like many fans, videos of post-match stuff. Their Gaffer wears his heart on his sleeve ect...
I'm led to believe he's resorted to posting messages defending his style on the fans message board - I don't know if that's true, I presume not. He should have no such qualms either way. His team is a delight to watch.
From an away fan - despite our current predicament - maybe in the not to distant future other fans will recognise our credentials. Two lads of whom have been slated, not be me I hasten to add, Murphs and Tingey, I thought today were immense. Murphs take note of the delivery.
We'll formulate our own style, a bit behind schedule, but equally devastating. I sense, optimistically we are playing catch-up.
Respect today for those whom endeavour to do things right.

Edited by rwakeley at 02:07:33 on 15th January 2017

Re: Re:- Tonbridge

By baldangel15/1/2017 14:26Sun Jan 15 14:26:03 2017In response to Re:- TonbridgeTop of thread

Views: 2784

Thanks for those kind words. We have had several instances over the course of this season whereby we haven't received the points that performances deserved. Yesterday, we were flattered and I felt it was our turn for some good fortune. Our goalkeeper was our man of the match by the proverbial street. Along with my friends, we picked out Sam Murphy at a very early stage of the game. Performances like these and you won't be going down, I'm sure.
My report on: www.thatbetheday.blogspot.com

By ekc15/1/2017 17:20Sun Jan 15 17:20:01 2017In response to Re: Re:- TonbridgeTop of thread

Views: 2732

I totally agree. I was really impressed with Hendon yesterday. ADB kept us in the game and then good fortune gave us the win. Based on yesterday I would be really surprised if Hendon go down

By dw16/1/2017 23:29Mon Jan 16 23:29:34 2017In response to Re: Re:- TonbridgeTop of thread

Views: 2502

Based on the Tonbridge comments and mindful of the the fact that I am currently in Hamburg embroiled (singing wise) in the opening of their new concert hall, I have to say that I recollect very clearly the conversation I had with a couple of very astute and balanced Margate supporters prior to our very sad play-off match a year or so ago, that they had pinpointed San Murphy as the key to our success. If only the Enfield fiasco hadn't taken place.......

By Mike Cox15/1/2017 16:58Sun Jan 15 16:58:06 2017In response to Re: Re:- TonbridgeTop of thread

Views: 2655

Thank you baldangel for your match report. Best of luck for the rest of the season - hope our 2 teams will still be meeting in the league in 2017/18!

Tonbridge match highlights

By johnnybaker17/1/2017 16:18Tue Jan 17 16:18:03 2017In response to Re: Re:- TonbridgeTop of thread

Views: 2567

Here you go https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sntJugDGNMA

Previous thread: Leatherhead by John Rogers10/1/2017 09:22Tue Jan 10 09:22:02 2017view thread