Return to front page

Newest article: Re: PA system at SJP by ktfcprogrammes7328/9/2023 23:09Thu Sep 28 23:09:24 2023view thread

Oldest article: "Hither & Thither"? by alan ainsworth24/11/2013 12:59Sun Nov 24 12:59:08 2013view thread

MenuSearch

Next thread: Laurie Topp by David B8/1/2017 16:25Sun Jan 8 16:25:35 2017view thread

Merstham Match Thread

By PF7/1/2017 10:19Sat Jan 7 10:19:59 2017

Views: 2843

So let's get down to business. How are we going to plot their downfall and gain our first home win of the season?
The bookies have this match very tightly priced with both Hendon and Merstham at 7/5 and the draw at 13/5. Hendon have been second fave in each of their last 5 or 6 matches so to see them go off as equal faves means there's the bookies have no idea who's gonna win this game.

Problem is nor do we! Forecasting Hendon games is proving nigh on impossible. Well unless you back Hendon to lose every time and them you'll be quids in! Anyway I am more positive than that and have already backed Hendon a few times this season to no avail and I've even seen my bets as some kind of jinx on the team. I've sworn off betting on the Greens from now on but I know the home win is coming sooner or later whether I bet or not.

Anyway here are my tactics for the game. I think confidence is pretty low in the Merstham camp. They are terrible travellers and we are terrible at home so something has to give here. They are desperate to break their away hoodoo and we the opposite with our shocking home form. In fact are we the only side in the land to reach the half way point in a season without a home win in the league?

Anyway come the referee's whistle we need to adopt a pressing game. Gang up in threes and press and try to win the ball further up the field. I see teams in Europe and some in England adopt this tactic a lot and the success rate for winning the ball is quite high. Obviously you need very very fit players and that's not always possible at this level. We also need to be a bit more direct when in possession. Look to the immediate pass out wide. Don't dilly dally in midfield. One other things I noticed is that sometimes out two strikers Karl and Reis are playing too far apart. They need to be more in tandem and support one another. Also someone from midfield, not sure who exactly but someone needs to play a bit closer to the front two. They are too isolated at times. I noticed this in the Dulwich game where the midfield gets dragged all the way back to near our own box and there's a big chasm between them and the strikers. Unless they're super human fit they're never gonna be able to support the front pair if we regain possession.

We need to stay in games longer as well. We've got to stop the conceding in batches routine. That shit will get you relegated in no time. So all in all play a bit more direct, the Sam Allardyce way perhaps, may not be that pretty but take more shots, hit better free kicks and have better game management in tight situations oh and give the ref a few quid! oops!

Let's see what happens this afternoon!

reply to this article | return to the front page

Re: Merstham Match Thread

By HendonJohn7/1/2017 11:16Sat Jan 7 11:16:00 2017In response to Merstham Match ThreadTop of thread

Views: 2719

Am feeling quietly confident. Just a feeling. When the dam breaks things will flow. Also confident I will win the December Snowball and first prize in the Christmas raffle. Going to be a good day.

Re: Merstham Match Thread

By HendonJohn7/1/2017 15:06Sat Jan 7 15:06:34 2017In response to Re: Merstham Match ThreadTop of thread

Views: 2652

Come on you greens!

Re: First half analysis.

By PF7/1/2017 16:02Sat Jan 7 16:02:19 2017In response to Re: Merstham Match ThreadTop of thread

Views: 2671

Playing ok. Why is Karl playing left wing? Needs to be playing closer to Reis. He's wasted there. Reis is getting no change either. The penalty was very close. I was pretty level and I'd say it was maybe 6 inches inside but we'll need replays so it's all down to luck and the ref saw it as just outside. Had a few other sniffs. Cole hit it straight at the keeper. The free kicks have been as bad as ever.

They look pretty average going forward. Probably why they don't win away from home. We need a bit of luck or a bit of magic from somebody. Anybody please! I'm gonna say we're gonna win 1-0. Luck has to change!

By PF7/1/2017 16:23Sat Jan 7 16:23:19 2017In response to Re: First half analysis. Top of thread

Views: 2691

Well I can't say it's been coming 'cause they've been the better team second half but Casey hammers in a towering header! 1-0! Oops they nearly scored. I reckon we might need a second.

Re: they think it's all over

By PF7/1/2017 16:50Sat Jan 7 16:50:31 2017In response to Re: First half analysis. Top of thread

Views: 2674

It is now! Say it quickly! Finally a pleasing win. Need a fair few of these now the monkeys off our backs.

Re: bloody hell!

By PF7/1/2017 16:54Sat Jan 7 16:54:29 2017In response to Re: they think it's all overTop of thread

Views: 2797

Told you we needed the second!

Re: Well

By PF7/1/2017 17:44Sat Jan 7 17:44:41 2017In response to Re: bloody hell!Top of thread

Views: 2677

All over it's a well deserved, hard earned three points. I think the ref was trying his best to ruin the Green party but there was no party pooper in the end.

That was both ours and Merstham's 13th game at home and away respectively. Something had to give and it proved lucky 13 for us. To be fair we had to ride our luck in the second half. The keeper's kept us in it a couple of times. He was almost MOTM but I'd give it to Casey just for that header and being solid as a rock.

Let's not get carried away though we're still deep in trouble and this win maintains the status quo but every relegation battle success story has to start somewhere. Keep fighting Greens!

By embee7/1/2017 17:52Sat Jan 7 17:52:27 2017In response to Re: WellTop of thread

Views: 2668

I agree we've still got a fight on our hands (and Canvey's late goal wasn't on the script either) but Matt Ball and Marcel Barrington look welcome additions.
With regard to the rest of the squad at least it seemed to matter to them 100% commitment shown.

Edited by embee at 17:52:55 on 7th January 2017

By HendonJohn7/1/2017 18:31Sat Jan 7 18:31:34 2017In response to Re: WellTop of thread

Views: 2662

Met Police lost. Sadly only 2 - 1 not 13 - 0 to help our goal difference. Merstham have a plus goal difference and 2 games in hand. We do have a battle but the psychological battle is done. We can now take advantage of home games and home crowds. It will be tough but we are used to fighting. Still 40%ish of the season left.

Phew!

By SteveHFC7/1/2017 20:58Sat Jan 7 20:58:05 2017In response to Re: WellTop of thread

Views: 2661

At least we've got the monkey of no league win at home off our back. It was tough going at times, but the confidence certainly grew after Casey put us ahead, and it was an excellent goal from Karl after he was set up by Matt Ball, who I thought had a very good debut. Marcel Barrington looked decent when he came on too.

Still prone to giving away free kicks in and around our box, but the defence held firm, and Tom Lovelock made a number of very good saves.

Long way to go though, tough test at Tonbridge next weekend, somewhere we've never really done well, but we do now seem to have a squad that is willing to battle for the club unlike some of those who have moved on.

Finally, an impeccably marked minutes silence in memory of Geraldine before the game.

Re: bloody hell!

By HendonJohn7/1/2017 16:58Sat Jan 7 16:58:59 2017In response to Re: bloody hell!Top of thread

Views: 2739

Get in!. Just need to win the raffle and Snowballer now.

By HendonJohn7/1/2017 16:47Sat Jan 7 16:47:06 2017In response to Re: First half analysis. Top of thread

Views: 2692

Come on boys. Not long now.

By rwakeley7/1/2017 23:21Sat Jan 7 23:21:07 2017In response to Re: First half analysis. Top of thread

Views: 2608

In all reality, and not being downbeat, today was the one fixture we would have placed expectancy on for that elusive first win. Having said that, Merstham looked mediocre. Still they had their chances. Our goals were taken with finesse. We are hopefully on an upward trajectory. We look more solid. Credit to the management for the improvement and for the players for their continued efforts. Looking for leaders to help drive this home and carry us forward. Characteristically we can build a base from this ultimately becoming a powerful force. It's this kind of predicament where seeds are sown. Plenty to ponder.
We suffered at Dulwich as the game became stretched. Tonbridge a pig of a journey, similar vein. Hoping the lads demonstrate a full ninety. We have sufficient individual ability to pose them problems.
We can all sleep a little bit easier.
As for today mission accomplished - well done.

By dw7/1/2017 23:57Sat Jan 7 23:57:16 2017In response to Re: First half analysis. Top of thread

Views: 2563

Agree with everything Rob. A long way to go, but a great boost to confidence today. Matt Ball deserves a special mention for adding class to the central midfield and setting up the crucial second goal, so well taken by Oliyide.
A momentous day in Hendon's history.

Previous thread: Raffle draw today after the game by Edd7/1/2017 10:22Sat Jan 7 10:22:05 2017view thread