Return to front page

Newest article: Re: PA system at SJP by ktfcprogrammes7328/9/2023 23:09Thu Sep 28 23:09:24 2023view thread

Oldest article: "Hither & Thither"? by alan ainsworth24/11/2013 12:59Sun Nov 24 12:59:08 2013view thread

MenuSearch

Next thread: A Question of Sanity. by Lamb_n_flag15/12/2016 15:09Thu Dec 15 15:09:03 2016view thread

My half-term report - Part 1

By rwakeley14/12/2016 13:57Wed Dec 14 13:57:09 2016

Views: 2159

I knocked this out during half-time last night - probably not the best of timing. I don't claim to be an Einstein, just my thoughts. In summary, we tend to react to games which are effectively lost and appear to be incapable of producing a streamlined performance. Then out the blue we unleash our seemingly pent-up frustrations and appear gung-ho. The very fact we win in Suffolk and the South Coast suggests to me we are actually far better equipped than results suggest. I don't think it is mental.
I keep referring back to a friendly game I saw at St Neots, where for twenty minutes we looked, (without a forward line, apparently on holiday), akin to the Harlem Globetrotters, but were ultimately undone by a team with basic passing manoeuvres, (you may include a poor afternoon from Mark Kirby - but the premise remains).
Our wide midfielders (Da Costa & Maz from memory), were fantastic going forward. In my view all our wide players, too many to mention, all possess the same characteristics. They all head off in one direction as if they've heard a starting pistol go off. I can seriously count on one hand the amount of tackles any of these lads have made in those positions this season. They give the right and left backs no protection. The left back of The Tanners Saturday had the freedom of the city to dictate every move. No's 3, 7 and 11 have been having a field day on oppositions teams for way to long. It's a joy to watch us burst forward, but it's not sustainable.

reply to this article | return to the front page

Re: My half-term report - Part 2

By rwakeley14/12/2016 14:07Wed Dec 14 14:07:51 2016In response to My half-term report - Part 1Top of thread

Views: 2047

I maintain the effectiveness of Murph and Karl needs a definitive role. I don't think Murph is suited to a wide role. I see him more of a link-up player. Lewis Smith, (yes I'm a fan), over at East Thurrock has up until a recent long-term ban tormented us in a roaming role linking up around the box. That for me is Murphs most creative impact.
As for Karl, that comes down to the formation. I think there is now clear disparity between home and away performances. I rate this lad, probably the most of the current crop. Every time he gets the ball, you wake up. He is strong, and creative. Stuck out wide, I'm not sure we get the best out of him. I want to see him more involved. He's a tad Veira like. The spine of the team needs a revamp. I believe the personnel are already here. Sympathy with the Gaffer, the Mac lads and Big Dave out. The very crux of the team could effectively soon see a complete re-moulding. Get this right and the team is potentially transformed. More opportunity to regain possession, and impose our credentials.
The concensus on the terraces is for two up-front. Karl is looking promising for that role. The loss of Nico could be a positive enabling a partnership, rather than onus on individual.

Re: My half-term report - Part 3

By rwakeley14/12/2016 14:20Wed Dec 14 14:20:52 2016In response to Re: My half-term report - Part 2Top of thread

Views: 2096

This is where I go off on a tangent. I believe we had a season, can't remember exactly when, when we were totally overran in the middle. I don't think we have ever really recovered. I think we were mentally scarred and have become too defensive orientated in mindset at the expense of being to cavalier. George Graham had his Ginola issues. I think this prevailing fear remains at the very heart of our problems.
The word cohesion was used on Twitter Saturday night. It's right. We have no identity. If we can get players back in the next couple of weeks, I think this is a real opportunity to undertake a root and branch examination of what and how we want to play, the formation, home and away, and the best individuals for each particular role.
That is by no means a criticism of Gary, but in continual fire fighting mode, we do appear to have lost the plot a bit.
We have a new ground, with a new surface, a great manager and a set of lads of whom throughout continue to work hard. I'm not downbeat at all. I am frustrated beyond anything ever experienced before, due to the underlying abilities I maintain we have.
Here's hoping 2017 is the year when we find our footing and demonstrate what we have got at our disposal.

Previous thread: Next 4 games predictions by PF3/12/2016 11:55Sat Dec 3 11:55:48 2016view thread