Return to front page

Newest article: Re: PA system at SJP by ktfcprogrammes7328/9/2023 23:09Thu Sep 28 23:09:24 2023view thread

Oldest article: "Hither & Thither"? by alan ainsworth24/11/2013 12:59Sun Nov 24 12:59:08 2013view thread

MenuSearch

Next thread: Cheshunt - FA Cup by SteveHFC4/9/2016 14:31Sun Sep 4 14:31:41 2016view thread

Dulwich Hamlet

By SteveHFC29/8/2016 18:59Mon Aug 29 18:59:56 2016

Views: 2745

Safe to say that was a game of two halves. First half was ours, second half was theirs. Point each probably fair overall.

I thought we were excellent first half, and probably ought to have been further in front. Dulwich were excellent second half, and I suspect will be disappointed not to have scored a winner. I thought the defence worked really hard to ensure we got at least a point after things had been levelled up.

Plenty of positives for me today. I thought Alfie Young and Luke Tingey belied their youth and did very well as a centre-half partnership. Not much got past them. Whilst I know we have more experienced players in the squad, I'd like to see these two given a run of games to see how they do.

Others have said it already, but having Kevin Maclaren back in front of the back 4 has made a huge difference, and I think that's helped the youngsters around him.

The other positive I want to mention is our home attendances so far this season. Last season we entertained Dulwich on the 2nd Saturday of the season at Earlsmead in front of 268 people. Today it was 335 - a substantial increase. Last season we entertained Burgess Hill on a Saturday afternoon in front of 117 people. Last Tuesday there were 164 there, another substantial increase. There definitely seems to be far more Hendon faces around so far this season - long may this continue.

reply to this article | return to the front page

Re: Dulwich Hamlet

By John Rogers29/8/2016 22:33Mon Aug 29 22:33:33 2016In response to Dulwich HamletTop of thread

Views: 2805

A gorgeous day, a decent crowd, an absorbing game and an absolutely stonkhooter of a burger!

https://hfchomecoming.wordpress.com/2016/08/29/happiness-relatively-speaking-is-a-point-off-hamlet/

By dw29/8/2016 23:13Mon Aug 29 23:13:17 2016In response to Re: Dulwich HamletTop of thread

Views: 2687

Great blog, as ever John. Reflecting on the introductory comments, I do worry slightly at the thinly disguised (by a foreign language) political slogans so prominently displayed at Silver Jubilee Park today. I am all for reaching out to as many people as possible so that they may happily come to a non-league friendly family atmosphere, but wonder whether actions that could potentially prompt police intervention at a higher level of football are in danger of infiltrating our level of football in a detrimental way. A shame really, as the attendance was great and everyone saw a highly entertaining match.

That aside, I had an interesting chat with a Wealdstone supporter before the game, who had played for Kingsbury in the Fifties. Perhaps everyone else knows this, but, the pitch used to be orientated 90 degrees the other way. However, surprise surprise, when the club wanted to install floodlights, the local residents objected to lights shining through their windows! So the pitch had to be moved! Nothing ever seems to change....

By John Rogers29/8/2016 23:26Mon Aug 29 23:26:31 2016In response to Re: Dulwich HamletTop of thread

Views: 2729

Thank you very much! I'm really pleased people are enjoying the scribings of a fool so far.

That's a very reasonable point you make, though and something that I would keep my distance from, personally. Just as I would a group of fans of my team calling themselves Ultras.

Edited by John Rogers at 23:28:29 on 29th August 2016

Fans, flags and support

By David B30/8/2016 14:23Tue Aug 30 14:23:06 2016In response to Re: Dulwich HamletTop of thread

Views: 2688

Interesting point about the Ultras. Clapton and Dulwich have seen enormous spikes in their attendances, the former even more than Hamlet. Five years ago, Clapton's average attendance was around 25 per game, now it is 350+.

Unfortunately, their political alignment, especially Clapton's, is some way further to the left than Jeremy Corbyn, and I say "unfortunately" not because of my political stance but because football clubs should not be vehicles for extreme ideologies (1980s Steaua Bucharest anyone). I don't like any banners making political statements at football grounds, but then again, I also hate seeing the Union flag or English flag defaced with a sports team's name.

The opposite argument is whether you would prefer to see 1,200?1,500 fans attending Hendon home games or 250. The singing and support of Clapton fans is almost invariably good natured, and their false hatred for tenants London Bari and other East London clubs (at least I think it?s false, given Bari consider a good attendance to be one in the mid-20s) is, therefore, amusing rather than threatening.

How much easier Hendon's lives would be - financially at least - if the crowds were around 1,000 every game.

By Paul Butler (buts1690)30/8/2016 00:13Tue Aug 30 00:13:20 2016In response to Re: Dulwich HamletTop of thread

Views: 2773

Still gutted that the community bit on the website didn't mention the darts team!! Starting in Middlesex Superleague on Wednesday - I will provide a few updates (when we do well haha)

By Dom (Le Renard)30/8/2016 08:18Tue Aug 30 08:18:18 2016In response to Re: Dulwich HamletTop of thread

Views: 2760

If QPR aren't at home I'll occasionally go to Hendon, Edgware or Wingate. So yesterday I went to SJP using the fiver deal (still think it might be an idea to put this on the ticket admissions page on the website). Very enjoyable game yesterday with great weather.

Worth noting that Wingate have just increased their ticket price by 20% to £12 which for me is too much at this level of football. Odd to do it after the season's started.

By John Rogers30/8/2016 10:00Tue Aug 30 10:00:52 2016In response to Re: Dulwich HamletTop of thread

Views: 2622

Wingate have done that as well have they? Jeez.

I'm delighted to have got that one out of the way already.

£12 for this level of football is obscene. The more sides that do this, the greater the argument imho to keep our prices at £10. Prices being unchanged for 5 years is little excuse.

Edited by John Rogers at 10:03:17 on 30th August 2016

By Hendonboy30/8/2016 08:59Tue Aug 30 08:59:46 2016In response to Re: Dulwich HamletTop of thread

Views: 2601

Yes, it certainly should be on the admission page. I'll get that rectified in the next day or two - thanks for mentioning it :)

Previous thread: Merstham by rwakeley27/8/2016 23:46Sat Aug 27 23:46:31 2016view thread