Return to front page

Newest article: Re: PA system at SJP by ktfcprogrammes7328/9/2023 23:09Thu Sep 28 23:09:24 2023view thread

Oldest article: "Hither & Thither"? by alan ainsworth24/11/2013 12:59Sun Nov 24 12:59:08 2013view thread

MenuSearch

Next thread: Déjà vu all over again (in homage to the late Yogi Berra) by David B23/3/2016 15:54Wed Mar 23 15:54:09 2016view thread

Another final to celebrate

By David B9/3/2016 14:06Wed Mar 9 14:06:06 2016

Views: 2931

It was not the greatest performance, but it was just enough and in a cup semi-final doing just enough to win is all that matters. Call it winning ugly, I don?t care, Kezie?s goal was enought to win the game.

I don?t care that our path to the final was a bye, Southern Counties League East midtable, Southern Counties League East bottom four and Ryman League Division One North bottom, you can only beat what is put in front of you and Redbridge had gone to Wingate & Finchley in the quarter-final and beaten them.

This keeps the season alive and gives us something to play for. After all the cup misery before Christmas, this is a real positive. Let?s hope we can have an almost full squad to choose from when the Final is eventually played.

Given that we had gone 34 years between finals before Gary became manager, seven in 11 is a fine acheivement.

reply to this article | return to the front page

Re: Another final to celebrate

By Walworth Mark B10/3/2016 23:19Thu Mar 10 23:19:43 2016In response to Another final to celebrateTop of thread

Views: 2737

I agree David. Lets hope that the good times are now not that far away again for the Greens.

By rwakeley9/3/2016 15:28Wed Mar 9 15:28:27 2016In response to Another final to celebrateTop of thread

Views: 2796

For me, this is a competition with genuine nostalgia, way above the Middlesex Senior and League Cup. I agree with David B with regards to the quality of the opposition. There does seem to have been dominance by Ryman League sides over recent years. I don't like change but I don't know if any further life could be injected into the tournament as a whole.
I personally miss out on these occasions, so I have decided to take the plunge and come down for the night - I would however have chosen somewhere different than Imber Court!
Well done to Gary and the lads on reaching another final.

By John Rogers9/3/2016 16:46Wed Mar 9 16:46:47 2016In response to Re: Another final to celebrateTop of thread

Views: 2803

The location of the final is a bugbear of mine.

Imber Court is not the most accessible place to get to by public transport at the best of times. Quite apart from that, I think that each of the seven finals in those eleven years will have been held well south of the river. Kingsmeadow once, Tooting twice and this will be the fourth at Imber Court.

Given that there is the possibility at the moment of a Hendon v Harrow final too....

Meh.

Final venue

By johnnybaker10/3/2016 13:23Thu Mar 10 13:23:40 2016In response to Re: Another final to celebrateTop of thread

Views: 2716

Does anyone know why the Final venue isn't rotated each year? It is a pain to get to midweek.

Re: Final venue

By Paul Butler (buts1690)10/3/2016 13:34Thu Mar 10 13:34:36 2016In response to Final venueTop of thread

Views: 2702

The Met don't charge for the venue, sure there's a brown envelope involved somewhere as well!

By dw13/3/2016 00:07Sun Mar 13 00:07:55 2016In response to Re: Final venueTop of thread

Views: 2706

I have to say that the extremely limited and geographically orientated variety of London Senior Cup Final venues has been a big puzzle to me also for many years. Slightly cynically, I suppose that the location of clubs and supporters are not factors that are being remotely considered.

Surely a balance of north, east, south and west venues round London should be maintained. More pertinently, once Silver Jubilee is up and running at hopefully its new status, surely it could be in the running for the 2017 final? After all, the Ryman League Cup Final took place at Whyteleafe's 3G ground.

By Pink Panther18/3/2016 12:00Fri Mar 18 12:00:29 2016In response to Re: Final venueTop of thread

Views: 2604

Basically Met Police FC are happy to host these finals and have lots of obliging committee members and club officials who are happy to turn out and staff the facilities for a neutral match where a large proportion of those attending are likely to be officals of other clubs or administrative bodies.

It is a pain in the neck to get to. Hourly train service home, at 26 mins past the hour from memory, so if games finish within 90 mins you just miss one, and if they go to extra time and/or penalties you're in danger of missing the next one too. (Can't even remember if they still have extra time in this competition.)

Agree with the earlier comment about the competition being prestigious due to its rich history. I think the cup itself is the oldest one still competed for in English football. I was lucky enough to hold it after Dulwich beat Tooting in the 2004 final at Claremont Road. The inaugural winners were Dial Square, now Arsenal.

By Paul Butler (buts1690)9/3/2016 18:20Wed Mar 9 18:20:15 2016In response to Re: Another final to celebrateTop of thread

Views: 2708

I said last year that despite everything, had we not had the two cups to show for what was an awesome season, then it would have felt a bit empty to look back on. I'm a big fan of the "minor" cups, seeing us win the Middlesex Senior Cup as a kid, now it seems to have shifted to the London one instead and our Middx Cup record has not been as good in recent years.

Good way to end the season!

Previous thread: Message for Alex Barrett by David B17/3/2016 12:09Thu Mar 17 12:09:46 2016view thread