Return to front page

Newest article: Re: PA system at SJP by ktfcprogrammes7328/9/2023 23:09Thu Sep 28 23:09:24 2023view thread

Oldest article: "Hither & Thither"? by alan ainsworth24/11/2013 12:59Sun Nov 24 12:59:08 2013view thread

MenuSearch

Next thread: Lewes pre-match meet up by beadman3/3/2016 17:02Thu Mar 3 17:02:47 2016view thread

Inching closer...

By John Rogers28/2/2016 11:26Sun Feb 28 11:26:23 2016

Views: 2831

Good day for the Greens yesterday. Three points against a side around us in the table and everyone below us failing to win.

It wasn't much of a spectacle on a terrifically uneven pitch, but with the help of an early goal direct from a corner (a first for me to witness live, I think), we looked pretty comfortable for most of the first half, despite conceding plenty of possession and territory. Staines looked like we did before Christmas, getting into some excellent positions in the final third and either failing to deliver a telling ball into the box or taking a pass too many.

Nicely worked second goal fairly early in the second half gave us a cushion and from then on, we looked really comfortable. I think Joe had to make one save in the first half when the flag was already up, and a really good reaction save early in the second, but was otherwise untroubled.

I thought the experiment of Kirby in midfield is worth repeating. He looked more comfortable there and he's certainly a good enough footballer for it - I think he spent some time with Enfield there. Garnett alongside Casey put in an encouraging debut. I like his build and he looked assured and unhurried.

If we can get a haul of points in our double header against Lewes, then we'll be in a position to really turn our attention towards next season and starting afresh, hopefully, at SJP.

Well done all yesterday.

Edited by John Rogers at 11:27:10 on 28th February 2016

reply to this article | return to the front page

Re: Inching closer...

By Mike Cox28/2/2016 20:02Sun Feb 28 20:02:22 2016In response to Inching closer...Top of thread

Views: 2700

Not the greatest match but 3 more valuable points - delighted that another of our veterans, Tony Taggart, got both the goals. Given my very fallible memory, the last goal that I saw a Hendon player score direct from a corner was by Gary Keen at Woking towards the end of the 1991/92 season.
Johnson Hippolyte obviously watched a different game judging by his post-match comments to the effect that Staines were the better side and were beaten by 2 fluke goals.
More of same fighting spirit by the lads in the home and away games against Lewes please.

By ChrisHFC28/2/2016 21:47Sun Feb 28 21:47:20 2016In response to Re: Inching closer...Top of thread

Views: 2686

IMHO Johnson Hippolyte has a point - I thought Staines were the better side on Saturday until they reached the final third, then they seemed to have little idea of how to score.

I also thought he had a point about the goals. Any goal direct from a corner has to have a fluke element about it, but as we saw at Staines, their defence has little idea how to defend corners, and he ought to be blaming his defence instead of writing it off as a fluke. Incidentally the last goal I saw direct from a corner for Hendon was by Sam Collins, though touched by the goalkeeper, our fourth in the 11-1 demolition of Leyton in 2007-08.

The second goal started with some great work by Adam Wallace, but his cut-back from the byeline was poor, going behind Carl McCluskey. Dave Diedhiou's first shot was mishit and blocked back to him, and his second spun off a Staines player to Taggart, who netted. So yes, I'd agree about an element of flukiness about this goal, because of the poor cut-back, the mishit shot, and the deflection to Taggart.

Of course, other people may disagree with most of the above. Had the second goal worked perfectly, it would have been an excellent team goal.

By David B29/2/2016 13:02Mon Feb 29 13:02:35 2016In response to Re: Inching closer...Top of thread

Views: 2703

Two months ago, we would probably have found a way to lose the game, much as Staines did on Saturday. We were content to let Staines have the ball until they got to the final third, at which points their ideas ran out. The two goals we scored were a tad fortunate. Tony Taggart?s first goal was a bit of a fluke because the wind played its part, but if Adam Wallace had been able to get out of the way of Carl McCluskey?s (?) header then that would have been 2?0 and there would have been nothing fluky about that goal.

As for the second goal, the point about good fortune because the cut-back wasn?t ideal and Dave Diedhiou having two attempts blocked is valid, but no Staines player reacted quickly enough to the second rebound, on the edge of the six yard box, in the middie of the goal. Wallace did react quickly to set up Taggart but then couldn't help being offside directly in front of the goalkeeper (through whose legs the shot went), but there were no complaints from any defenders. If Taggart was a little lucky with that goal, then it made up for the one he had probably incorrectly (I wasn?t there so am basing it on hearsay evidence) disallowed at VCD a week earlier ? a point he made to me when I chatted with him on Saturday evening.

Joe Wright?s brilliant save just before our second goal was a turning point, but after we went 2?0 up, Staines didn?t really create anything. I thought Addison and Casey worked well together, and the whole defence looked a bit more solid, especially with Mark Kirby and Diedhiou protecting them in midfield and Omar Vassell and Ollie Sprague outside them.

Tonight is another massive game. If we can pick up three points tonight, it will be bigger than an inch closer; more like a giant stride!

Edited by David B at 13:03:24 on 29th February 2016
Edited by David B at 13:11:39 on 29th February 2016

By Casualdon2/3/2016 22:45Wed Mar 2 22:45:53 2016In response to Re: Inching closer...Top of thread

Views: 2607

Really encouraged by the way we are playing at the moment, think the new arrivals and return of Mcclaren am has been pivotal, also the way taggart and mcclusky have come alive has been encouraging to a great finish to the season

Previous thread: Tonight by dw1/3/2016 00:09Tue Mar 1 00:09:36 2016view thread