Return to front page

Newest article: Re: PA system at SJP by ktfcprogrammes7328/9/2023 23:09Thu Sep 28 23:09:24 2023view thread

Oldest article: "Hither & Thither"? by alan ainsworth24/11/2013 12:59Sun Nov 24 12:59:08 2013view thread

MenuSearch

Next thread: Well Done Chaps! by rwakeley14/12/2015 21:50Mon Dec 14 21:50:29 2015view thread

Our average age today was under 23!

By rwakeley13/12/2015 01:51Sun Dec 13 01:51:09 2015

Views: 2702

That's a late night - back of the fag packet calculation on our starting eleven.
Men against boys - literally - we hardly won a solitary tackle.
Annoyingly, I don't rate Billericay - a pale deravative of Grays.
Everything right now feels tougher than it has ever been - my journey's do - it feels labour intensive - it's a slog.
That is the pressure and it weighing down on us - We look physically light.
Kudos to Taggs's strike - great goal - and wow, what a performance from our keeper.
We are crying out for maturity - we clearly have constraints of whom we can gain access to in the grand scheme of things - we have a great set of lads of whom are giving everything - but we need some old heads out there to galvanize proceedings.
This is the most challenging period I have experienced - irrespective of whom pulls on the shirt - we all have to dig really deep.
Let's keep up the work-rate and get a result Monday.
We have enough in our locker to do so.

reply to this article | return to the front page

Re: Our average age today was under 23!

By Rainham don13/12/2015 23:34Sun Dec 13 23:34:19 2015In response to Our average age today was under 23!Top of thread

Views: 2434

Lets not dress this up.been following hfc for many years but our threadbare team in it's current guise will struggle to avoid the bottom 4.loaning kids from Barnet is not the answer they're no better than what we already have.if we are to survive we will have to hope some of the senior players are back ie seeby McLaren and Braithwaite not sure what the current situation is with them..Robbins has been a good signing more like him would be a bonus.

By John Rogers14/12/2015 00:09Mon Dec 14 00:09:57 2015In response to Re: Our average age today was under 23!Top of thread

Views: 2459

I know the hope is for Seeby to be back in action around Xmas time and Casey is due back on 1st Feb. Brathwaite's return sounds a long way off still. We have to hope that the former two hit the ground running - a big if after such long lay-offs.

I don't think anyone, Gary included, would suggest that the squad is anywhere near right. We don't know what goes on behind closed doors with regards to player retainment / recruitment - however there are a couple of simple hard facts are obvious right now.

1) Too many players, departed or not, have chronically underperformed this season.

2) Persuading good quality and experienced reinforcements to join a struggling side on the money we are able to offer is a struggle.

Point 2 brings home the urgent need to raise more money and the quickest way to do this is through gate receipts. Yet some supporters are choosing to vote with their feet given the limited levels of success and entertainment on offer. That's their prerogative.

However, the fewer people that come, the less likely we are to see better players at the club in the short-term. Gary can only spend what WE supporters bring in to the club through sponsorship and other revenue. It is still OUR club, the same as it was in May when we were all riding the crest of a wave.

There are no easy answers, sadly. SJP will help in terms of giving us a base to put down roots again, but everything else is ultimately dependent on what we, as fans both individually and collectively, are prepared to provide.

Temporary loans are not the long-term answer, but I expect that Gary has been working flat-out to bring in better replacements than what has left. If players are unwilling to come, for whatever reason, then he has to go with the best option open to him at this point. It's not ideal, but it's helped us remain unbeaten in our last three home matches.

As ever, whoever Gary chooses tomorrow evening has my full backing during the 90 minutes. So long as I continue to see honest endeavour from them, I will forgive any shortcomings in quality.

By John Rogers14/12/2015 00:14Mon Dec 14 00:14:23 2015In response to Re: Our average age today was under 23!Top of thread

Views: 2514

Hmm, sorry about that, went a little off point.

Anyway, feel a little better with that off my chest anyway. See you tomorrow ?

Previous thread: Exodus by lesskinner12/12/2015 11:04Sat Dec 12 11:04:12 2015view thread