Return to front page

Newest article: Re: PA system at SJP by ktfcprogrammes7328/9/2023 23:09Thu Sep 28 23:09:24 2023view thread

Oldest article: "Hither & Thither"? by alan ainsworth24/11/2013 12:59Sun Nov 24 12:59:08 2013view thread

MenuSearch

Next thread: Good Luck by John Rogers3/11/2015 15:39Tue Nov 3 15:39:57 2015view thread

Surprise, surprise

By Mike Cox7/11/2015 16:04Sat Nov 7 16:04:11 2015

Views: 3123

Yet another straight red this afternoon at Dulwich. Hopefully we can keep 10 men on in 2nd half.

reply to this article | return to the front page

Re: Surprise, surprise

By rwakeley8/11/2015 01:22Sun Nov 8 01:22:22 2015In response to Surprise, surpriseTop of thread

Views: 2889

Acid test
First Dulwich goal a keeper howler. Second goal non-existent defending.
You cannot give the potential champions-elect a two goal cushion and claim any form of solace.
Then throw in a sending off for good measure -(personally I thought a tad harsh)- debate that amongst yourselves. Frankly, we all know Dulwich have credentials to score at random, to a degree it's immaterial.
Brilliant finish from Short - arc round the keeper - quality.
Second 45, I thought they were more or less in second gear. We never got in behind them. We know their characteristics. Credit to them, I have never seen a side so adept at consistently delivering quality into in the box via set-piece or full-back. Always on the money, backed up with support to boot.
My take-way today wasn't an improvement or anything of that vein rather the benchmark of what we have to strive towwards. There are lessons to be learned and I maintain you take more from today than random fixtures against poor opposition. Today was the benchmark.

By dw8/11/2015 07:03Sun Nov 8 07:03:14 2015In response to Re: Surprise, surpriseTop of thread

Views: 2917

It is hard to think of a better attacking team than Dulwich in the Ryman Premier. For the the second season running at Champion Hill, we were swamped by early Dulwich pressure, but on this occasion could not hold on. To Hendon's credit, a great equaliser restored parity.

However, the match then hinged on the sending-off. The referee was in a far better position than me to judge (and no doubt video evidence will shortly be available), but I am always saddened to see any player writhing in agony, only to get up and run away apparently unharmed after the red card has been shown. The second Dulwich goal followed before the shock had worn off.

The late Hendon attacking spell did at last show what a force we can be. As to the own goal, has anyone ever seen a funnier one? Even the Dulwich keeper was laughing.

By John Rogers8/11/2015 20:46Sun Nov 8 20:46:13 2015In response to Re: Surprise, surpriseTop of thread

Views: 2763

I really enjoyed yesterday, despite the result. Great game, great atmosphere and some great goals.

I thought there were definite signs of improvements from us in midfield, and going forwards. After Dulwich's second goal, things could so easily have all gone Hampton. But the boys deserve some credit for sticking with it, digging in and playing their part.

I was stood about 15 yards away from Tingey's tackle and thought he was perhaps a little unfortunate to see red. You'll see that sort of tackle be punished with yellow as often, if not more often than you would red. One of those 'orange' card challenges. There was no malice, he wasn't trying to 'do' the player and it wasn't reckless. However, on the flip side, you could question why he was going to ground in that area of the pitch, not exactly dangerous, and his studs were showing. When you do that, you're always walking that tightrope.

Dulwich were the best footballing side I've seen for a good few years at this level by some distance and I would be pretty surprised if they didn't go up this time around. Everything is in place there for them to thrive at Conference South level. As Simon said on Twitter, something to aspire to both on and off the pitch.

Dulwich

By Deadman9/11/2015 09:33Mon Nov 9 09:33:28 2015In response to Re: Surprise, surpriseTop of thread

Views: 3009

Agree with the above. To play against a good team like Dulwich, with ten men, in front of 1,400 and not get thrashed was creditable. Yes two of the goals were poor, (1st and the daft challenge for the penalty) but in general we looked more confident in possession and did at least create some openings.

Some bad points...

Joe's mistake for the 1st goal.
Dave's poor challenge for their penalty.
Luke's rash challenge for the red card (definitely a dark orange card!)
Some of our defending.
Aaron not pulling the trigger when he got a sniff of a shooting chance. Against the top teams you've got to shoot early....like Russ did.
Didn't see any non-league dogs.

Some good points....

Good game to watch despite the relatively early red card.
Joe's performance after his mistake (his best game for the club?),
The attitude of the players....we kept going.
Russell's excellent finish.
Ollie's best performance for a while. Much more like his old self.
Dave's great challenge when the bloke was through (this time it was clean).
The hold up play of our forwards,
The crowd.
The pre and post match beers in The Phoenix.

Ps...one thing that struck me when the teams lined up for the minute's silence, was just how big they were compared to us. They had the physique of Conference players. Need ham Market next...big game!

Re: Dulwich

By richhend9/11/2015 11:47Mon Nov 9 11:47:58 2015In response to DulwichTop of thread

Views: 2824

Interesting point about the size of the Dulwich players. Looking at player movements they appear to bring in a lot of their players from Conference National and South sides where 'big' looks to be an essential requisite for players. I recall John Still when he was Dagenham manager saying if it's a choice between a good big un and a good little un you pick the good un.

Additionally, Dulwich are very good at recruiting young players related by the Football league sides in South London, something presumably because of our financial situation we no longer seem able to do. Who was the last, Dermot Drummy.

I hope that with the move to SJP, signing for Hendon will become a more attractive prospect. Linked to this I wonder if having a permanent home will make it easier to attract new money into the club?

One challenge facing the Club will be as the Covent Garden advertising agency folks would put it will be re - establishing the brand in the Hendon area. To be honest, I don't know how you do this, given that the local paper is now no more than a classified ads sheet.

Perhaps we need to recruit that distinguished ex-pupil of Hendon County, Lord Mandela on to get the message out there.

Previous thread: Enfield v Billericay by dw8/11/2015 14:51Sun Nov 8 14:51:57 2015view thread