Return to front page

Newest article: Re: PA system at SJP by ktfcprogrammes7328/9/2023 23:09Thu Sep 28 23:09:24 2023view thread

Oldest article: "Hither & Thither"? by alan ainsworth24/11/2013 12:59Sun Nov 24 12:59:08 2013view thread

MenuSearch

Next thread: This stupid fixture list by Paul Butler12/10/2015 16:34Mon Oct 12 16:34:15 2015view thread

Another good day at the office?

By Mike Cox10/10/2015 17:04Sat Oct 10 17:04:43 2015

Views: 3488

I look forward, albeit with some trepidation, to the report on this horrendous result. Third successive league game without scoring, 5 goals conceded, no less than 2 players sent off and 2 more booked. The season started badly enough and who would have thought it could get even worse?

reply to this article | return to the front page

Re: Another good day at the office?

By Simon10/10/2015 18:31Sat Oct 10 18:31:12 2015In response to Another good day at the office?Top of thread

Views: 3450

If Leon's red was a red then we might as well all pack it in.

By Claremont Man10/10/2015 21:09Sat Oct 10 21:09:50 2015In response to Re: Another good day at the office?Top of thread

Views: 3316

Same as you Simon I couldn't believe Leon's sending off,seemed to be just a gentle bump between him and the goalie.Sadly I think referees are being influenced by our reds and yellows this season and are only too eager to get in on the act.Any of us who were at the game know it was never a dirty game and on this occasion we were taken to the cleaners by a very good Hampton side and we have to admit that on the day they were by far the better team and fully deserved their win.
On to Monday night now for part 3 of the K's trilogy,let's hope for a return to winning ways then and next Saturday against VCD,6 points would be a real tonic after today's disaster.
Let the good times roll.

By Hendonboy11/10/2015 11:29Sun Oct 11 11:29:02 2015In response to Re: Another good day at the office?Top of thread

Views: 3213

Video makes it look like practically nothing happened, but given the angle and that Joe Hicks runs across the shot just before the crucial moment I won't be holding my breath. Could have done without the roll from Seb Brown, but he did get up straight after. Hopefully the FA see sense over that one.

Kirbs' is a classic DOGSO - soft foul (only a trip), but last man on a player just running through. No complaints about that.

By SteveHFC10/10/2015 17:15Sat Oct 10 17:15:39 2015In response to Another good day at the office?Top of thread

Views: 3482

Please can we hold off commenting on Leon's red card until we hear from those at the game. From what I've picked up from texts and twitter - it's best described as controversial - and seemingly better described as a complete joke.

Clearly the result is an awful one - and a reaction is needed on Monday night.

Edited by SteveHFC at 17:25:26 on 10th October 2015

By Deadman10/10/2015 18:18Sat Oct 10 18:18:27 2015In response to Re: Another good day at the office?Top of thread

Views: 3444

Re: Leon's red.....quite honestly I've never seen anything quite like it. It was a borderline foul at worst. More often than not the goalie would be motioned to get up and the game would carry on without any further fuss. Credit to Leon for the calm manner in which he took the decision and at least we didn't make things any worse.

As for the performance.....we were poor. And especially poor defensively.

Edited by Deadman at 20:30:05 on 10th October 2015

By BryanR10/10/2015 23:27Sat Oct 10 23:27:07 2015In response to Re: Another good day at the office?Top of thread

Views: 3311

I, somewhat unfortunately, spent the game with friends from HRBFC and was sitting in the main stand. Kirby's red was correct according to the letter of the law, although the ball was running through to the keeper and was not technically a goal scoring opportunity. Cynical trip and was the last man, so a red not a huge surprise. Leon's was a farce. I hear that the ref believes that Leon punched their keeper. I was down that end at the time, and nothing of the sort occurred. When both sets of players are laughing about a decision, that tells you all you need to know. First time in 10 years I have felt compelled to share my PoV with the ref at then end of a game. If the video chaps caught it, rescinded immediately. Aside from that, poor show from the Greens. Need to rediscover some belief, both on and off the pitch. Bit of singing wouldn't go amiss.

By Jeff Hill (Malc)10/10/2015 21:29Sat Oct 10 21:29:42 2015In response to Re: Another good day at the office?Top of thread

Views: 3242

Could anyone please explain why the advertised admission prices were not charged?

By Rabster10/10/2015 21:42Sat Oct 10 21:42:23 2015In response to Re: Another good day at the office?Top of thread

Views: 3335

Why not ask H & R....it was there home game after all

By Jeff Hill (Malc)10/10/2015 22:00Sat Oct 10 22:00:58 2015In response to Re: Another good day at the office?Top of thread

Views: 3230

It may have been "there" home game but the prices were published on our website.

By Rabster10/10/2015 22:53Sat Oct 10 22:53:01 2015In response to Re: Another good day at the office?Top of thread

Views: 3290

Apologies for my grammar Jeff....I'm responding to you on a phone....I'm fully aware that I should have used 'their' instead but thanks for pointing it out.

Anyway...the point is you need to get onto to H&R about the incorrect pricing....that hasn't changed from my first post. So crack on won't you??

Whilst I'm on my soap box....I fully support the Chairman & the club with regards to the McClaren boys. Two players I rate very highly who have always been very personable whenever I have met them.

Onwards...

By Hendonboy10/10/2015 21:42Sat Oct 10 21:42:23 2015In response to Re: Another good day at the office?Top of thread

Views: 3352

That's one to approach Hampton with. We published the prices based on the ones they advertised on 5th July: [url=http://www.pitchero.com/clubs/hamptonyouthfc/news/non-league-day-beveree-1504424.html]http://www.pitchero.com/clubs/hamptonyouthfc/news/non-league-day-beveree-1504424.html[/url].

Yesterday afternoon a separate item that I didn't catch gave different (higher) prices; [url=http://www.hamptonfc.net/news/hamptons-non-league-day-details-1506994.html]http://www.hamptonfc.net/news/hamptons-non-league-day-details-1506994.html[/url].

It seems someone at their Youth setup went with the wrong pricing for some reason and they didn't correct it until too late.

By rwakeley10/10/2015 23:35Sat Oct 10 23:35:44 2015In response to Re: Another good day at the office?Top of thread

Views: 3274

I really feel for he lads - I really do. We have no midfield and the centre-half combo remains under severe question. That was simply the worst ninety I have seen in seven years. No point in dragging it out.
I would question Lee's absence in the middle given propencity to regain possession and instigate movement.
Without a functioning midfield the game becomes an irrelevance.
One aspect I didn't like - and I maybe speaking slightly out of kilter so apologies in advance if not correct. Pre-second half there looked like a team meeting prior to kick-off out in the centre. I don't know if that was intentional or not. But at face value Aaron appeared to be issuing a Churchilian rallying call to the troops. It smacked a bit of desperation rather than that of a normal discussion. Those of a home following found it rather amusing and who can blame them. It may not be the case, but as with the second sending off, (which I presume will be appealed as on film), it summed up a wretched afternoon. Kirbs just took one for the team.
This is one of the gaffers most trying periods, he has every supporters backing, including this one's. It's a test of everybody's character. We need one or two personnel, probably one or two additions. These lads genuinely want to succeed, they have to prove they want to wear the shirt. Because frankly despite our shortcomings at present they did let themselves down today - and I would imagine the dressing room knows it.

By Deadman11/10/2015 14:28Sun Oct 11 14:28:52 2015In response to Re: Another good day at the office?Top of thread

Views: 3165

The red cards aren't helping but our defending has to improve or we'll be in big trouble. Not one pairing of centre-backs has looked especially convincing and we've tried quite a few combinations now. Ryan Wharton looked as good as any but he's no longer required.

Also, not sure the anchor man (Russell Short) is really working in a 4-3-3 either (although it was ok away to Kingstonian). Time to return to 4-4-2? Da Costa and Murphy out wide with Leo and Dave/Russell in the middle? Somehow we've got to start keeping some clean sheets whilst posing some sort of attacking threat.

PS: Any news on Courtney Harris or James Fisher? They don't seem to get much of a mention these days.

By rwakeley11/10/2015 15:13Sun Oct 11 15:13:39 2015In response to Re: Another good day at the office?Top of thread

Views: 3192

Despite yesterday's no show I am still convinced we are not a million miles away from normality. Agree on the centre-half upheaval. My fave tournament was the 1978 world cup - I loved watching the Dutch. Hendon remind me of them. Total football is kind of where we are. I agree with the midfield formation and two up front. Our forwards regretably are also missing sitters at present which is hardly helping.
We are certainly not short of Johan Cruyff types, and the Van Der Kerkhof brothers remind me of the Maclaren's.
Lee shows his moments as a Neeskens type we need a Rudi Kroll and Arie Haan. We base our strengths around possession. We have immense trouble at present regaining it. In terms of movement we were well outdone. But I agree we need to shore up our midfield and with more possession involve players allowing them to exhibit our own brand of total football. I agree one hundred percent our formation needs looking at.
We'll get there.

By SteveHFC11/10/2015 14:34Sun Oct 11 14:34:50 2015In response to Re: Another good day at the office?Top of thread

Views: 3183

I understand on the grapevine that Fisher is struggling badly to get over the injury he picked up towards the end of last season. Not heard anything about Harris.

Frustratingly I can't get to games at the moment due to other commitments, as I'm missing it, despite our current rough run of results, so really am appreciating the comments that are posted by those who are able to go.

Edited by SteveHFC at 14:37:32 on 11th October 2015

By Hampton fan (Beaver boy)11/10/2015 01:08Sun Oct 11 01:08:29 2015In response to Re: Another good day at the office?Top of thread

Views: 3289

Just to give an opposition view. I thought the first red was a red. Stupid from your centre half, let him run through anything could happen. Second one even though I was at the other end of the ground completely shocked when the ref gave the red card. I felt that we did get the majority of decisions our way from the ref during the day. But can't say we haven't had that for a while!
As a side note we haven't scored 5 in the league since we beat you 5-2 2 two seasons ago at the Bev.

By Paul Butler (buts1690)11/10/2015 15:41Sun Oct 11 15:41:17 2015In response to Re: Another good day at the office?Top of thread

Views: 3206

First game I've been to in a while, and it was horrendous. Can't comment on Leon's red as I was on the train platform at the time heading back to work having snuck away to go to the game, I left as our mate Moone scored the 4th.

First half we were OK in patches apart from giving them a free near post header for the opening goal, and Kirby being sent off after once again being beaten for pace (I've seen milk turn quicker, he really is far too slow)

Second half we gave the game away with two more sloppy pieces of defending, a missed clearance falling at their blokes feet for the 2nd, and an awful, silly tackle for the penalty, followed by no one following up a good penalty save. Frempah looked confused at best, how he was anywhere near an SPL side is an indication of how bad Scottish football has become.

Any team losing two main midfielders and both centre halves is gonna struggle the following season, as long as we don't get relegated I'm happy to write this season off and prepare for SJP next season, sad to say that in October, but think it would take an epic run like last season's just to compete for a playoff spot.

Despite all that, good to see a few people I haven't seen for a while, had a good laugh with Nick in particular.

By John Rogers11/10/2015 21:13Sun Oct 11 21:13:40 2015In response to Re: Another good day at the office?Top of thread

Views: 3223

Hard to disagree with anything anyone's posted so far. Took a gamble late on to go to the game and thought the good run might be an omen. It wasn't.

Nothing is going to be gained by dwelling on our many shortcomings yesterday, however, suffice to say 5-0 did nothing to flatter our hosts.

Talk of promotion should, I hope, have been put to bed by now and focus clearly shifting towards pulling ourselves clear of being involved in the relegation dogfight.

Saturday is now an enormous game as far as I am concerned. Must win at all costs.

As a club we are firmly moving in the right direction off the pitch. Rob W is absolutely right that the gaffer retains the full support and backing of all Hendon fans. He'll get things running smoothly again before too long.

Red mist coming down

By David B12/10/2015 12:52Mon Oct 12 12:52:31 2015In response to Re: Another good day at the office?Top of thread

Views: 3100

I have not seen the video evidence of Kirby?s red card, but the moment it happened I expected to see red. There was no argument from the player, though I wonder if the referee will report Hampton for their five-man surrounding of him demanding the sanction Kirby received.

After the game, I spoke to Football Exclusives and their view on the first red card was that the striker did not have control of the ball when Kirby brought him down. If that is the case, my understanding of the denying an obvious goalscoring opportunity (DOGSO in the vernacular) interpretation is that the decision was incorrect. As I said above, however, I didn't think the decision was wrong.

As for Leon?s decision, it was almost as appalling as our performance for all but about 10 minutes before the first red card. I am glad that almost every posting on this subject has focused on how bad our performance was more than the one truly awful decision. Nonetheless, I believe this red card is worth appealing ? especially if the referee claimed he saw a punch by Leon.

To be honest, if Leon had punched the goalkeeper, running in the way he did, then Seb Brown would not have gone down where he did, but a significant distance further back, and probably would not have got up for a while. The contact was minimal and both players seemed to be slightly off balance which is why Brown ended up on the floor.

Tonight is another night and it will be nice to play a team we have not seen for at least 142 hours! Our performance must be better than what we put out on Saturday. It is hard to imagine it being much worse ...

Previous thread: The Wisdom of Solomon? by Mike Cox10/10/2015 15:21Sat Oct 10 15:21:04 2015view thread