Please note: this site will be unavailable between 4.30pm and 5.30pm on Wednesday 17 April due to routine maintenance

Return to front page

Newest article: Re: PA system at SJP by ktfcprogrammes7328/9/2023 23:09Thu Sep 28 23:09:24 2023view thread

Oldest article: "Hither & Thither"? by alan ainsworth24/11/2013 12:59Sun Nov 24 12:59:08 2013view thread

MenuSearch

Next thread: Molesey by Deadman19/8/2015 08:32Wed Aug 19 08:32:59 2015view thread

A very creditable performance

By Mike Cox16/8/2015 16:37Sun Aug 16 16:37:18 2015

Views: 2567

Hendon's makeshift squad put in another commendable performance against a very strong Dulwich team. The starting line-up included only 4 of last season's regulars and all players worked their socks off. A fair result.

reply to this article | return to the front page

Re: A very creditable performance

By Deadman16/8/2015 17:37Sun Aug 16 17:37:09 2015In response to A very creditable performanceTop of thread

Views: 2552

A cleaner game than Monday's but a similar affair. Lots of effort but not much action at either end. The players, old and new, have displayed the right commitment and there are signs that certain elements are just starting to click. Defensively we've looked good and Oli Sprague has been really good in both home games. Credit to all those who have played at the back this week.

Attacking-wise, we won't look especially potent until we get Kezie Ibe, Andre Da Costa and Sam Murphy back on the pitch together. Plus we need Leon Smith back and fit (didn't see him at all this week around the ground?)

As ever, it will be interesting to see who makes the team for Molesey on Tuesday night.

By rwakeley16/8/2015 18:57Sun Aug 16 18:57:29 2015In response to Re: A very creditable performanceTop of thread

Views: 2592

Fortress Earlsmead, we should design a banner! For me cracking our Earlsmead environment was our biggest challenge. A home defeat is almost inconcievable
A full compliment of lads yesterday, I am utterly convinced could have taken Dulwich to the cleaners. I would have loved to see the likes of Ibe and Seeby out there.
I'm salivating at the prospect of what we can achieve. As these lads come back into contention, with our home record and toughness on the road, our all round consistent performances, I want to start seeing us dismantle sides.
Special mention for the lad Tingey - Another clone in the style of Ollie and Charlie Goode. I was concerned about his build, but he and Ryan both read the game remarkably well.
If you get injured or sent-off - you might not get your place back for months.
This team and club has evolved on and off the field over the past couple of years, it's tangible.
I for one fully intend to enjoy it.

By SteveHFC16/8/2015 19:42Sun Aug 16 19:42:03 2015In response to Re: A very creditable performanceTop of thread

Views: 2499

Agree with what others have said. I thought we were superb defensively once again, and this has been commented on by a number of Dulwich supporters who have said we stopped them playing the way they like to play.

Effort and workrate by all was top notch again. Shame about the penalty, but the Dulwich forward was just slightly quicker to the ball than Joe.

Thought the referee was excellent - clearly wanted to try and keep the game flowing. One of the best and most experienced at our level, he knows how to keep a lid on things when they look like flaring up.

To answer Deadman, I believe Leon has been on holiday - and arrived home over the weekend. Mark Kirby is also back home too, so I wouldn't be entirely suprised if they were both involved on Tuesday. Spoke to Max after the game, and he's back in training and hoping to be available soon.

5 points from the first 3 games is a very good return, especially given the personnel who have been unavailable so far.

By Deadman16/8/2015 19:48Sun Aug 16 19:48:33 2015In response to Re: A very creditable performanceTop of thread

Views: 2409

Thanks Steve. That's good news regarding the returning players.

Agree about the ref. He's a bit old school and suspect the players appreciate his style. He doesn't make a drama about things. Shame he didn't ref the play-off final.

By John Rogers17/8/2015 08:59Mon Aug 17 08:59:23 2015In response to Re: A very creditable performanceTop of thread

Views: 2493

Agree with most of what's written, it was obvious there was a game plan in mind when Leo started as our most advanced player and Aaron started wide. We seemed happy to concede possession to Dulwich bit make sure they played in front of us, which largely worked. Thought the full-backs played their tricky wingers really well, by and large, which nullified much of Dulwich's threat.

Biggest plus point for me so far this season has been the addition of Russell Short. Has been quietly efficient in the number 6 shirt breaking up attacks and using the ball intelligently. Appears to be a shrewd piece of business by the gaffer.

Great to see those battling qualities rolling over from last season, if you'd offered me five points from our first three games half an hour before kick off at Grays, I'd have given anything.

Great effort so far and a standard has been set for the rest of the season. Keep it up guys.

By Paul Butler (buts1690)17/8/2015 15:18Mon Aug 17 15:18:04 2015In response to Re: A very creditable performanceTop of thread

Views: 2490

Having only seen the Enfield game, I can't comment too much on individual performances, but I said before the start that four points (or even three as long as it was three draws and no losses) would have been a very good return from the opening three games, so five points on the board and no defeats is excellent. It is frustrating however to have been in winning positions in both of the draws, especially as Dulwich always seem to score late against us, but as people have said, we have been far from full strength so far.

Another bonus is another new ground to go to tomorrow, that'll be 174 on my list, and then 175 on Saturday (alas, not Needham Market, but Charlie's Scunthorpe)

Previous thread: Hendon 1-1 Dulwich Hamlet | Highlights & Post Match Reaction by footballexclusives.com16/8/2015 17:58Sun Aug 16 17:58:19 2015view thread