Return to front page

Newest article: Re: PA system at SJP by ktfcprogrammes7328/9/2023 23:09Thu Sep 28 23:09:24 2023view thread

Oldest article: "Hither & Thither"? by alan ainsworth24/11/2013 12:59Sun Nov 24 12:59:08 2013view thread

MenuSearch

Next thread: Supporters Association by HendonJohn15/6/2015 22:08Mon Jun 15 22:08:44 2015view thread

In and Outs

By Deadman9/6/2015 08:37Tue Jun 9 08:37:05 2015

Views: 3157

Good to see that so many of last season's squad have re-signed for this season.

Also pleased to see that we've seemingly signed direct replacements for Peter Dean, Ben McNamara and I guess Charlie Goode (who I suspect will move on).

The management team have done really well getting the squad in place so early and let's hope that we can add Chris Seeby back for at least the second half of the season too.

Anyone know where Ben McNamara is off to?

reply to this article | return to the front page

Re: In and Outs

By Paul Butler (buts1690)10/6/2015 13:41Wed Jun 10 13:41:44 2015In response to In and OutsTop of thread

Views: 2992

Charlie has signed for Scunthorpe United. Great move for him. Gary clearly has a knack of unearthing talented young players as we saw with Jack Bennett who moved on to moneybags Margate. Would it be too much of a gamble to give the next couple of youngsters that seem to be upwardly mobile a two year contract, so that we could receive a transfer fee or an extra season out of these type of players?

Sad to see Ben go, after a shaky start he was instrumental in the run from Feb onwards and especially the League Cup Final. Don't know a lot about the replacement so will wait until I see him play.

It was always going to be very difficult to replace Charlie, great news that Elliot has signed to stay, would like to think we have a few options in defence and that Kirby won't be a shoo in to take Charlie's place straight away.

Best signing of the summer for me is Kezie Ibe, far too good for this level and leads our line not just with goals, but hold up play and creativity as well as a superb ability to win a free kick or penalty.

By John Rogers11/6/2015 09:04Thu Jun 11 09:04:18 2015In response to Re: In and OutsTop of thread

Views: 3036

It's a fair point you make about contracts, Paul - however, these things often come down to money. Committing to paying a player £xx per week over 40 weeks when they may be injured / out of form is a big ask when usually, if you're not in the side, you don't get paid.

However, in certain cases, I think it's a gamble well worth taking. Almost from the moment he stepped into the number 4 shirt in the autumn, Charlie looked well ahead of his years and destined for bigger and better things.

The additional factor to take into consideration is that the player has to want to sign a contract as well. Sometimes, it may not be in their interests to do so, for whatever reason.

The interest in Charlie from professional clubs was no secret, at one time we had the best part of half a dozen league scouts at games watching him, and I'd be surprised if the club hadn't, at the very least, offered a contract.

It's a great move for Charlie, and one that I'm confident he will excel in. I will certainly be making Scunthorpe my League 1 club of choice for the coming season and wish him all the very best.

By rwakeley10/6/2015 16:06Wed Jun 10 16:06:31 2015In response to Re: In and OutsTop of thread

Views: 2921

Excellent move for the lad and richly deserved. Right with you on Kezie, you've got to get them goals. In the annual kiss of death he had my vote for Player of the Year. I have seen a video of the lad from the Casuals - looks promising. Best news, the gaffer backing our obvious potential. Hope to see Seebs surging forward in the not too distant future.
Time to put last season behind us and fully concentrate on the job in hand.
Not getting carried away but already looking forward to another campaign.
Nearly time to get back on the treadmill again!

By John Rogers11/6/2015 09:13Thu Jun 11 09:13:27 2015In response to Re: In and OutsTop of thread

Views: 2952

It's been great to see Gary moving early to fill potential gaps.

Mark Kirby in for Charlie.
Joe Wright in for Ben.
Mahrez Bettache in for Peter Dean.

Agree with both Paul and Rob that the re-signing of Kezie is a huge success - likewise that of Murphs. I really think we missed his energy and dead-ball quality against Margate. Sad to see Ben leave, he came up great when needed during the run-in. He's also one of the most driven and focused players I've seen in a green shirt for quite some time. His warm-ups were intense to say the least, and always worth watching. I hope he gets a move further up the pyramid

By Deadman11/6/2015 19:20Thu Jun 11 19:20:48 2015In response to Re: In and OutsTop of thread

Views: 3050

I believe Charlie was offered a contract last season by Hendon but was advised (by his dad?) not to sign it. That now seems to have been good advice, as a fee, however small, may have put Scunthorpe off.

In other news, I see Xavier Vidal has left Dulwich Hamlet to join Welling (he was their most creative player last season). Dulwich have done a decent thing and let him go for free (even though he was under contract) but have included a sell on clause, should he move on from Welling for a fee. They didn't want to stand in the way of the lad's progression and that sort of thing gets noticed by new talent.

Back to Hendon....I'm really happy about all the lads that have re-signed but especially Ibe, Murphy, Da Costa and Braithwaite. On paper we look strong in all departments and I'm very much looking forward to seeing the new players and what they have to offer.

Previous thread: eBooks by HendonJohn11/6/2015 14:05Thu Jun 11 14:05:41 2015view thread