Return to front page

Newest article: Re: PA system at SJP by ktfcprogrammes7328/9/2023 23:09Thu Sep 28 23:09:24 2023view thread

Oldest article: "Hither & Thither"? by alan ainsworth24/11/2013 12:59Sun Nov 24 12:59:08 2013view thread

MenuSearch

Next thread: Conference backtracks on 3G by Paul Butler4/5/2015 02:22Mon May 4 02:22:33 2015view thread

Problem waiting to happen.

By dw1/5/2015 23:23Fri May 1 23:23:34 2015

Views: 3564

The Ryman League have advised against comments on social media in the absence of all the facts, which I agree with. However, I have to say that the "Play-Off" concept has now been revealed as fundamentally flawed, insofar as a club like Enfield Town can be charged with an offence that could result in a points deduction BUT have a legitimate right to appeal in an extended timescale that is wholly incompatible with the need to play the Play-Off matches according to a precise timescale.

Let's hope that lessons are learned so that this crazy scenario cannot happen again.

reply to this article | return to the front page

Re: Problem waiting to happen.

By Paul Butler (buts1690)3/5/2015 06:21Sun May 3 06:21:49 2015In response to Problem waiting to happen.Top of thread

Views: 3645

The longer it drags, the more likely the playoffs are to be scrubbed and 2nd place promoted! Roll on July! :)

By John Rogers3/5/2015 10:27Sun May 3 10:27:08 2015In response to Re: Problem waiting to happen.Top of thread

Views: 3599

I think the FA will be looking to minimise the chances of litigation against rather than increasing them by scrapping the playoffs sadly. Unless the clubs were somehow to agree to it, which I sincerely doubt.

By Pink Panther3/5/2015 11:02Sun May 3 11:02:57 2015In response to Re: Problem waiting to happen.Top of thread

Views: 3587

As a Dulwich supporter I would have no real problem if the play-offs were cancelled and the second promotion place awarded to Hendon, who finished three points behind the champions and nearly twenty ahead of my own club. (I suspect Margate might feel very differently however.) Given that Hamlet have manager with a successful record with the club and large supporter base I think we could probably adapt and survive at that level, but it would be a slog, and I'd rather wait until we're stronger on the field. As for Enfield, they only stayed up on the final day of last season, lost 40% of their league matches this season, and only sneaked into the top fiv in the final few weeks. Are they really equipped to go up to that level?

The trouble with play offs is they get everyone's hopes sky high, and people convince themselves they're going to win even if the odds are against them, and faced with the possibility of having their place withdrawn Enfield are reacting as if they've actually been denied promotion. If they'd had a stronger season they'd still be in a play-off place, possibly with a less favourable draw, as happened to Leatherhead last year when a late points deduction dropped them from 2nd to 3rd place and ultimately cost them home advantage in the final, which they won anyway. Teams finishing miles behind other play-off candidates and only one or two points ahead of the also rans really don't deserve a lot of sympathy in this situation IMO. If it was my own club I'd be disapponted, but In all honesty I think I'd rather accept the punisment and move on.

Edited by Pink Panther at 11:03:32 on 3rd May 2015

By Pol Pot4/5/2015 10:00Mon May 4 10:00:41 2015In response to Re: Problem waiting to happen.Top of thread

Views: 3219

You're either in a play-off spot or not. The fact that Enfield just made the final place is neither here nor there. As for their prospects in Conf South, that's a matter for them and nobody else. Who knows, if promoted they might be able to attract new backing/sponsorship. In any case their crowds are quite respectable. I'm sure they wouldn't disgrace themselves. The gap between the leagues isn't that big.

Edited by Pol Pot at 10:06:45 on 4th May 2015

By Paul Butler (buts1690)3/5/2015 13:37Sun May 3 13:37:32 2015In response to Re: Problem waiting to happen.Top of thread

Views: 3312

Can't disagree with anything in that post, would say Margate (moneybags) and Dulwich (new found crowds) are best equipped for Conf South for next season, this season has probably come a year or two early for us (as I feel when we get to SJP and end the exile period we will move forward a lot crowd wise)

However, the monumental effort of our players this season I think merits promotion, and to lose out in the playoffs (even moreso after all this effing about) would really hurt, especially if Enfield or Not Police were to win it.

By Hendonboy3/5/2015 13:44Sun May 3 13:44:54 2015In response to Re: Problem waiting to happen.Top of thread

Views: 3318

With Enfield saying today they're seriously contemplating taking things further if they lose their FA appeal next week and can raise the funds to do so, we're looking at the long haul I think. There's also the possibility that they win, but Met Police go to arbitration on the basis that the FA then haven't applied their rules correctly. Potentially messy.

There'll have to be a point in all this where the FA can't realistically expect the playoffs to still happen (player registrations lapse at the end of the month and League AGMs have to be held at *some* point), but tbh, even though I'm against playoffs in principle, I'm not sure I'm entirely in favour of unilaturally changing the rules so that two go up by right after the end of the season either - we all knew what we should have been getting into at the start of the season (had the FA not been so slow).

Difficult difficult lemon difficult.

By John Rogers3/5/2015 15:13Sun May 3 15:13:12 2015In response to Re: Problem waiting to happen.Top of thread

Views: 3311

Personally, I don't blame Enfield for their stance. In their situation, I'd like to think we'd take things as far as we possibly could.

That said, with nothing likely to happen now in the next week, then playoffs, and our achievements are beginning to lose their lustre. It's a crying shame that when (indeed, if) we finally get to play the semi-final, my overwhelming feeling will be one of relief than the excitement I would have been feeling on Thursday night.

Not only have the FA messed up big time with regards to how they've handled the case, but they've shown an astounding level of contempt for the other clubs affected with no hint of a statement, never mind apology, for the limbo we're all currently in.

Clubs and fans should not be finding themselves out of pocket here, yet one suspects there will be no compensation from our governing body.

And to think that the FA are one of FIFA's biggest critics. Perhaps they should get their own house in order first.

Previous thread: New statement from Ryman League by John Fordham1/5/2015 18:07Fri May 1 18:07:20 2015view thread