Return to front page

Newest article: Re: PA system at SJP by ktfcprogrammes7328/9/2023 23:09Thu Sep 28 23:09:24 2023view thread

Oldest article: "Hither & Thither"? by alan ainsworth24/11/2013 12:59Sun Nov 24 12:59:08 2013view thread

MenuSearch

Next thread: Supporters Match Wednesday 16th April by eddieedd4/4/2014 15:32Fri Apr 4 15:32:24 2014view thread

Clean Sheets

By Simon (legacy user)1/4/2014 22:34Tue Apr 1 22:34:45 2014

Views: 6438

Joe McDonnell has kept 8 clean sheets in his first 11 games.

Does anyone know whether any Hendon goalkeeper has kept more clean sheets in their first 11 games?

reply to this article | return to the front page

Re: Clean Sheets

By ChrisHFC (legacy user)2/4/2014 22:26Wed Apr 2 22:26:07 2014In response to Clean SheetsTop of thread

Views: 6071

From the information that I have, Joe's record of 8 clean sheets in his first 11 starts (all league, he's also made one sub appearance in the Middx Senior semi-final when he conceded the winning penalty) is unique. Records for the club's first 20 years are scarce, but we have enough results to know that it can be stated with some certainty that no Hendon goalkeeper has beaten Joe's record.

From here, all discussion is league based only, given that Joe's 8 in 11 has come in the league.

The Centenary History on page 5, when discussing the team in 1910-11 gives details of a performance that may come close to Joe. It states, "Hampstead conceded just nine goals in 12 league games. In J. Pells they had a reliable goalkeeper who had seven clean sheets out of 12 league matches."; this when discussing the Finchley and District League. The quote suggests that Pells played every Finchley and District match, but we have no independent evidence to support this. Additionally it is not known whether Pells played in 1908-09 or 1909-10; any such information is so far untraced. Known results for 1910-11 show that the club also played in the Willesden and District League, where six known results produced two clean sheets. Pells' 12 league matches may include the Willesden and District league; we just don't know.

I wondered whether Gary Mac approached Joe's record, but Gary's first eight matches (at the end of 1996-97) contained just one clean sheet.

In 1972-73 we had two league runs that rather put Joe's performance in perspective. In 17 consecutive league matches we conceded a total of one goal - at Hitchin in the eighth match of the run. Later that season we had a run of 13 consecutive league matches in which we conceded a total of two goals - in matches 4 and 8 of that run. That season we kept 30 clean sheets in 42 league matches (John Swannell 28, Arthur Paisley two, in his only appearances of the season), and reportedly we did not concede a goal from a corner in the whole season.

Incidentally Arthur Paisley kept six clean sheets in his first 13 matches, though these were spread over three seasons.

Much as we may praise Joe for his performance over these 11 matches, and deservedly so, let's not forget that he couldn't have done it without the support of his team mates, particularly those in defence. Joe is entitled to be proud of his start with the club and this record; the rest of the squad and the management team should be equally proud.

Sheer Willpower

By rwakeley (legacy user)1/4/2014 23:36Tue Apr 1 23:36:41 2014In response to Clean SheetsTop of thread

Views: 6118

Delighted for you Mr Chairman and all those who made the journey. Cannot praise the keeper enough - looks a talent. I was really impressed with Seeby again last Saturday. The defence will have to be on their metal at the week-end, their forwards have notched up over half a century between them.
All to potentially play for - but all that aside what a remarkable job the management and players have bestowed upon us.
Twists and turns to come - take each game as it comes.
Well played.

rwakeley

Re: Sheer Willpower

By eddieedd (legacy user)2/4/2014 00:05Wed Apr 2 00:05:10 2014In response to Sheer WillpowerTop of thread

Views: 6133

Great result - best side in the league at the moment - too much to dream ?

Even though they wanted to play us in the dark we were still better than them.could of had 4, well done to all.

Apparently the floodlight failure was due to the Burger Van !!!!

Re: Sheer Willpower

By SteveHFC (legacy user)2/4/2014 01:29Wed Apr 2 01:29:57 2014In response to Re: Sheer WillpowerTop of thread

Views: 6102

Superb result, superb performance, well worth the late night home. Enjoyable afternoon along the seafront in Brighton too.

We didn't let the floodlight failure affect us, I can't remember a floodlight failure at a Hendon game before - I'm sure there must have been one at some point.

Got to mention the efforts of Sam Flegg and Jack Bennett on keeping the ball in play, which resulted in the counter-attack that led to Leon's second goal this evening. It is that kind of effort and endeavour that gets results, and so it proved this evening. A real team performance.

Must also mention the excellent support & noise from behind the goal- could hear it all in the stand throughout the game.

5 points off the play offs...... Don't Stop Believing!

Greensnet - The Official Hendon FC Website
Hendon FC Supporters Trust Official Website

Floodlight Failure

By John (legacy user)2/4/2014 09:01Wed Apr 2 09:01:49 2014In response to Re: Sheer WillpowerTop of thread

Views: 6253

The only one I can remember was for a reserve team fixture at Chesham back in 1997/8. Luckily, the problem got fixed in time for the substitute goalkeeper that evening to come on and scuff a clearance from a backpass.

Delighted logging onto the site this morning to see yet another clean-sheet and two more goals for Leon. He has proven a terrific signing and picked up where Jefferson left off. He'd always impressed me playing against us for Wingate - full of pace and power - the only question mark I'd had was over his finishing. No more.

Superb stuff from everyone involved. Another tough one on Saturday, but if we get something from that - you just never know.

"Blinded by the light"

By David B (legacy user)3/4/2014 12:53Thu Apr 3 12:53:36 2014In response to Floodlight FailureTop of thread

Views: 6009

That was the track played by Tony Wood as we trooped out of Claremont Road on Wednesday 12 August 1981, when our preseason friendly against Birmingham City - arranged I believe in regard to Trevor Dark?s arrival at the club from the Blues - was abandoned after 72 minutes, when The Lights Went Out In Cricklewood (I take it Tony couldn?t find, or did't have, TLWOI Georgia [Reba McEntire] or Massachusetts [the Bee Gees]). I do remember everybody having a good laugh at the inspired choice of music.

I have been at two abandonments because of floodlight failure: Edgware v Bromley in the London Senior Cup (Bromley's captain Paul Edwards, who towered over the referee (and pretty much everyone else, for that matter) said to him, "We'll all smile for the rest of the game."); and Clapton v Ware in the Isthmian League Division 3, when it was positively dangerous leaving the ground in almost complete blackness, thanks to the moon being obscured by clouds.

Re: Floodlight Failure

By ChrisHFC (legacy user)2/4/2014 22:35Wed Apr 2 22:35:27 2014In response to Floodlight FailureTop of thread

Views: 6001

I wonder who the substitute goalkeeper was?!

Lewes Away

By Jeff Hill (legacy user)2/4/2014 12:48Wed Apr 2 12:48:40 2014In response to Floodlight FailureTop of thread

Views: 5947

On the Lewes forum there are some nice things said about our support last night. I just wish I had been able to be part of it.

Re: Lewes Away

By John (legacy user)2/4/2014 13:52Wed Apr 2 13:52:48 2014In response to Lewes AwayTop of thread

Views: 5987

'the polar opposite to the idiots we had here a week ago'

Who on earth were they referring to here??

Re: Lewes Away

By Paul Butler (legacy user)2/4/2014 14:20Wed Apr 2 14:20:42 2014In response to Re: Lewes AwayTop of thread

Views: 6051

Cracking away day, cracking performance, really nice town, nice ground, good humoured opposition fans, and the ability to drink on the terraces all add up to making this one of my favourite trips of the season each year.

Have to mention Lee O'Leary, who had the shot handled for the penalty (surely a red card, I said to the ref in the bar afterwards that unlike a Premier League ref at least he booked the right bloke) and absolutely dominated the midfield, never misplacing a pass all night.

Travelled back on the 22.40 train we had been joking about, and had a chat with Sam Flegg on the way, top bloke!

Regardless of whether we can overhaul Maidstone, Kingstonian and Lowestoft (I reckon Dulwich, Bognor and Hornchurch are safe) we can be rightly proud of Gary and the boys for getting us to what looks like a top ten finish.

Previous thread: Supporters Association Newsletter by John Rice31/3/2014 16:24Mon Mar 31 16:24:17 2014view thread