ContinueWe use cookies to ensure that you get the best experience on our website; if you continue without changing your settings - or dismiss this message - we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies on forum.hendonfc.net

Return to front page

Newest article: Re: Excellent news by The Ancient One27/3 10:36Sat Mar 27 10:36:29 2021view thread

Oldest article: Cheap Train Fares to Bury by SteveHFC30/8/2013 09:25Fri Aug 30 09:25:38 2013view thread

MenuSearch

Next thread: 1967 by skelmersdaleunited29/5/2015 21:16Fri May 29 21:16:06 2015view thread

My Hendon

By John Rice (legacy user)21/10/2013 11:25Mon Oct 21 11:25:45 2013

Views: 16585

I posed the following questions by email to some of our supporters. Their replies will follow below. If you are a Hendon supporter and wish to answer these questions please reply and add your own answers.

How long have you been supporting Hendon?
What was your first game?
How did you find Hendon FC?
Why do you support Hendon FC?
Favourite Hendon game?
Favourite Hendon memory?
Favourite team to play?
Favourite Hendon player of all time?

reply to this article | return to the front page

My Dad's Hendon...

By Deadman27/5/2015 12:21Wed May 27 12:21:55 2015In response to My HendonTop of thread

Views: 11195

My Dad passed away a couple of years back but on his behalf I reckon I can have a go at some of the questions.....

What was your first game? The earliest programme in his collection is home to Wealdstone on Boxing Day 1951.
How did you find Hendon FC? I'm fairly sure he was taken there by his Dad.
Why do you support Hendon FC? Hendon was his local club and he was never a regular watcher of professional football.
Favourite Hendon game? Probably the Amateur Cup Final win against Kingstonian in 1960 or the 4-3 win v Arsenal at Highbury in 1964/65.
Favourite Hendon memory? Other than Cup Final wins etc....1) the humour on the terrace behind the goal at Claremont Road 2) drinking seven bottles of Newcastle Brown Ale in an hour after the 1-1 draw at St James' Park in 1974...."the Geordies were crying into their beer after the game but still wouldn't let me buy a round..." 3) playing cards with The Searchers in the waiting room at York station after he'd missed the last train back to London following the trip to Roker Park in 1966. They'd missed their connection back to Liverpool too, so it was a wait for the Milk Trains!
Favourite team to play? Wealdstone. Results against them set the tone for Christmas!
Favourite Hendon player of all time? Probably Dexter Adams or Laurie Topp.

my hendon

By rod day (legacy user)18/11/2013 01:34Mon Nov 18 01:34:22 2013In response to My HendonTop of thread

Views: 15696

I have supported Hendon since I was 5, 1950 (hence my email address!) I was first taken by my Dad but cant remember the first game. I still follow the team avidly following on the internet each Saturday afternoon & am a member of the supporters club despite living many miles away. Undoubtedly the best year for me was 1965 & the cup final at Wembley. My favourite player is a difficult question with so many to chose from but I think that it must be Bill Fisher who gave so much to the club both on & off the field.

My hendon

By richhend (legacy user)23/10/2013 13:02Wed Oct 23 13:02:14 2013In response to My HendonTop of thread

Views: 16283

How long have you been supporting Hendon? My dad took me up the ground in the push-chair as a toddler and I have vague memories of the 65 & 66 Amateur Cup finals. Started watching regularly in about 1967 or 68.

What was your first game? Can't recall.

How did you find Hendon FC? Taken by dad as a toddler so it got into the blood from an early age.

Why do you support Hendon FC? Because it is my local side. I can never understand people who support a club with which they have no local connection.

Favourtite Hendon game? As others have taken a selection of my favourites I'll go for the away leg of the Barassi Cup in Italy. Fantastic headed goal by Tony Bass capping off a superb pass from Phil Fry out to the overlapping Gary Hand who supplied a pin point cross for the finish. Other supporters have mentioned the Slough relegation game. The same season we won another cracker 4-1 or 4-2 at Billericay. Steve Parsons played superbly and at the end the supporters went on the pitch to congratulate the players. Parsons, who always seemed a slightly dodgy character, backed away from the joyful Greens fans almost as if he thought they were going to attack him! Lastly, the 3-0 victory at Merthyr Tyffil in the FA cup. Just before the team came out, the Hendon supporters brok into a chant of "Come on Hendon" under that huge stand. It was deafening and I reckon the loudest noise I've ever heard a Hendon crowd make.

Favourite Hendon memory? The Rod Haider 'Pele' goal from the half way line against Enfield in the MSC semi-final in 1972 a week after the Wembley victory. The Sutton game, not for John Butterfield's 8 minute hat trick but another Rod Haider memory. It was a very rainy day and the pitch was very slippery. Rod got the ball out on the left wing. A lumbering great Sutton defender went charging in on him. Rod gave one of those little shimmies that completely fooled the Sutton bloke who was thrown completely off balance and slid right off the pitch on his backside.

Favourite team to play? Enfield as was and Wycombe Wanderers. Wycombe were always such a fine footballing side.

Favourite Hendon player of all time? Rod Haider. Quite simply the best player I've ever seen. Not sure if it was Charles Hughes the old England amateur team manager who said something like "He never has a bad game. They might not all be blinders but he never lets you down." Remember his 30 odd goals from mid-field in the one season. Remarkable given that forwards today struggle to hit 20.

My Hendon by Doug Smith

By John Rice (legacy user)21/10/2013 11:27Mon Oct 21 11:27:59 2013In response to My HendonTop of thread

Views: 16304

I have supported the club since 1951.

First match, against Uxbridge (Middlesex Senior Cup, I think),

I used to live near Cricklewood,

I support the club through loyalty and the belief that non league football is much more enjoyable, Best game v Enfield in 1965, at Dulwich, play off for Isthmian league title,

Most memorable moment- the cup replay against Newcastle United at Vicarage Road,

Favourite opponents: Enfield (as was),

Favourite player of all time: Jimmy Quail.

My Hendon by John Fordham

By John Rice (legacy user)21/10/2013 11:29Mon Oct 21 11:29:47 2013In response to My Hendon by Doug SmithTop of thread

Views: 16512

How long have you been supporting Hendon? 1964

What was your first game? Can't remember

How did you find Hendon FC? The father of my best mate at school was an avid supporter and took his son, and then myself, along.

Why do you support Hendon FC? I started supporting HFC because they were my local team and, at that time, were very successful.

Favourite Hendon game? Can't pick one out. Amateur Cup finals, Newcastle, Skelmersdale semi-finals, the wonderful awaydays in amateur cup going to the NE to see us play Whitley Bay, Whitby Town etc ..

Favourite Hendon memory? Micky Cooper's "goal in a million" against Skelmersdale.

Favourite team to play? Don't have one.

Favourite Hendon player of all time? Too many to pick from - just about any player from 1960's and early 1970's. I suppose if I had to choose, would be Rod Haider.

My Hendon by Simon Lawrence

By John Rice (legacy user)21/10/2013 11:31Mon Oct 21 11:31:56 2013In response to My Hendon by John FordhamTop of thread

Views: 16952

How long have you been supporting Hendon? 43 years

What was your first game? Home to St. Albans on 29/8/70. We won 3-1

How did you find Hendon FC? A friend of my brother invited us

Why do you support Hendon FC? I loved that first game. I stood right behind the goal, listening to the chants and Malcolm Graves's bugle. I was hooked from that day

Favourite Hendon game? Away to Slough on 29/4/86. We won 4-1 to guarantee our safety. The players and Ted Hardy gave the fans a standing ovation in the dressing room after the game

Favourite Hendon memory? Winning the Amateur Cup at Wembley in 1972

Favourite team to play? Wealdstone - I love beating them!

Favourite Hendon player of all time? The incomparable Alan Campbell

My Hendon by Jeff Hill

By John Rice (legacy user)21/10/2013 11:33Mon Oct 21 11:33:43 2013In response to My Hendon by Simon LawrenceTop of thread

Views: 16218

Can't remember first Hendon game but first game at Claremont Road was England v Austria Amateur International 26/10/1966.

My dad took me to above match. I can't remember what I did a week ago but the first Hendon team I ever saw has stuck in my mind forever. Swannell, Hogwood, Cooper, Sleap, Ashworth, Cantwell, Swain, Shacklock, Harding, Quail, Lakey.

Although brought up in Finchley, my mum, dad, sister and I supported Hendon. One of the very few things we ever did as a family.

My favourite game was the 1972 Amateur Cup Final. The whole family went. My favourite memory is celebrating the London Senior Cup win in front of Dave Hogwood and the team as they hold aloft the trophy after the 1969 final. The picture appeared in the local paper and can still be found online. The scarf I'm holding up was knitted by my mum. I was 11.

Being from Finchley I like to watch us play Finchley (now Wingate). In my early days it was a rare event because we were a division apart but I think I remember beating them 5-4 at Summers Lane (it must have been a cup game or friendly, would love to be able to identify the date and competition).

Favourite player of all time has to be Rod Haider. I was at the 5-0 win at Dulwich which I believe was his Hendon debut.

Re: My Hendon by Jeff Hill

By ChrisHFC (legacy user)21/10/2013 20:02Mon Oct 21 20:02:56 2013In response to My Hendon by Jeff HillTop of thread

Views: 16472

We beat Finchley 5-4 at Summers Lane on Tuesday 15th August 1967 in a pre-season friendly, Our line-up was:
Whiteaker, Hogwood, Cooper, Shacklock, Ashworth, Cantwell, Lakey, R Wilson, Harding, Haider, Clements : scorers Clements 2, Shacklock, R Wilson, Lakey.

This match was Rod Haider's first appearance in a Hendon shirt, and was also the only match in which Paul Clements and David Shacklock scored for the club.

Rod Haider's first competitive match was on Saturday 19th August 1967 in a 5-0 win at Dulwich.

Well remembered!

Re: My Hendon by Jeff Hill

By Jeff Hill (Malc) (legacy user)21/10/2013 21:12Mon Oct 21 21:12:30 2013In response to Re: My Hendon by Jeff HillTop of thread

Views: 16130

Brilliant, thanks very much for this info.

My Hendon by John Phillips

By John Rice (legacy user)21/10/2013 11:41Mon Oct 21 11:41:57 2013In response to My Hendon by Jeff HillTop of thread

Views: 16037

How long have you been supporting Hendon? Far too long.

What was your first game? Away to Oxford City in mid 1960's.

How did you find Hendon FC? I was mad keen on football, my Dad was a rugby fan but an uncle went to all the Hendon games and started taking me.

Why do you support Hendon Fc? Very friendly club. Bad habit.

Favourite game: 18/3/72 Wycombe Wanderers FA Amateur Cup semi final at Brentford, two best teams in the country, great game that could have gone either way, for years afterwards when you met a Wycombe fan they always wanted to talk about what a game that was.

So many memories - you choose.
25/3/67 Amateur Cup semi final first replay against Skelmersdale - Mickey Cooper's last gasp equaliser. We had been outplayed for most of the game but were only 2-1 down and pressing for the equaliser and from a packed penalty area the ball broke to Mickey. He never could keep his shots less than 10 feet over the bar, but for the only time in his career he hit a daisy cutter that somehow went through a sea of legs into the net.

22/4/72 Winning the Amateur Cup.

December 1973 a service station car park on the M4. We were on one of ten supporters coaches coming back from beating Merthyr Tydfil in the FA Cup when the draw for the 3rd round was made on the radio and we were drawn away to Newcastle United. The noise on the coach !! Then we stopped at services on the M4 and another coach of supporters arrived and the celebrations took off again in the car park, just as we were calming down another coach came in and kept the euphoria going and so it went on as each coach came in. Winter night, no alcohol, no music, no flashing lights but still a great party.

Favourite team to play: Good footballing teams or friendly grounds.

Favourite player - you do not need to ask. Rod Haider.

My Hendon by Paul Butler

By John Rice (legacy user)21/10/2013 11:44Mon Oct 21 11:44:38 2013In response to My Hendon by John PhillipsTop of thread

Views: 16073

How long have you been supporting Hendon? 14 years almost

What was your first game? Hendon 2-1 Blakenall - FA Cup 3Q, Freddie Hyatt and Dominic Gentle scored, in the run to Blackpool.

How did you find Hendon FC? it was on the C11 bus route from my house.

Why do you support Hendon FC? As a kid it was the only football I could afford to go to, it was my local team and I got into it. Now, I enjoy seeing people I've known for years through Hendon, and I treat matches as a good social and drinking opportunity on a Saturday, particularly away games.

Hendon game? Wealdstone 4-5 Hendon, 31st August 06 (i think!) 4-1 down to them and won 5-4, great turnaround!

Favourite Hendon memory? Funniest one anyway, Leyton FC's tannoy man playing "Boom boom shake the room" as they scored, only for the goal to be disallowed!

Favourite team to play? Lively rival derbies with Wealdstone, or trips to far flung places I've never been before!

Favourite Hendon player of all time? Too many players could have got this, but I have to go for Dale Binns.

My Hendon by David Ballheimer

By John Rice (legacy user)21/10/2013 11:46Mon Oct 21 11:46:28 2013In response to My Hendon by Paul ButlerTop of thread

Views: 16515

How long have you been supporting Hendon? I started supporting Hendon in early 1972.

What was your first game? First match was in the mid 1960s (Amateur Cup tie v Bristol St George I think), though I did see a 1–0 home win in the reserves in 1965–66 v Tooting.

How did you find Hendon FC? I lived locally, the only club in reasonable and safe walking distance, and became disenchanted with professional football

Why do you support Hendon FC? Why do I breathe?

Favourite Hendon game? Probably Slough Town 1, Hendon 4, Tuesday 29 April 1986 (just ahead of four or five very special days, A v Leyton Orient, the whole 1986–87 GMACl Cup run, the win at Corby, the win at AFC Wimbledon in 2012, Carshalton v Hendon, 18 Nov 2000, 6–4 win at Billericay, 29 December 2001)

Favourite Hendon memory? See above

Favourite team to play? There is not one, but if pushed, Wingate & Finchley.

Favourite Hendon player of all time? Rod Haider, Bontcho Guentchev, but there are so many.

My Hendon by Mike Cox

By John Rice (legacy user)21/10/2013 11:47Mon Oct 21 11:47:43 2013In response to My Hendon by David BallheimerTop of thread

Views: 16245

I have been supporting HFC for more than 60 years - my first game would have been in around 1951 part of a packed crowd for the derby game versus Barnet which I believe ended 2-2.

I have many favourite games over so many years but top of the list must be the classic 1960 Amateur Cup Final against Kingstonian played before 60,000 spectators at the old Wembley Stadium. It was a closely fought game with Hendon just having the edge although traiing 0-1 for much of the match. In an unforgettable final three minutes, veteran Laurie Topp netted the equaliser before nippy winger Terry Howard weaved his magicto put the Greens ahead. There was still time enough for Kingstonian to hit the bar!

As to favourite player of all time, this just has to be Rod Haider - a superb talent with an exemplary record

My Hendon by Steve Rogers

By John Rice (legacy user)21/10/2013 11:49Mon Oct 21 11:49:38 2013In response to My Hendon by Mike CoxTop of thread

Views: 16746

How long have you been supporting Hendon? For as long as I can remember

What was your first game? We think it was Boxing Day 1978, which was a 1-0 defeat at Hayes. I was 2!

How did you find Hendon FC? Dad has supported the club since 1960

Why do you support Hendon FC? Caught the Hendon bug thanks to Dad, and never lost it even when we were living on the south coast for 13 years while I was growing up.

Favourtite Hendon game? Leyton Orient 0-1 Hendon - FA Cup, 25th November 1997. Not just because we won, but also for Gary McCann's superb performance in goal. I think its great that three member of that team are now our backroom team - Gary, Freddie & goalscorer Junior.

Favourite Hendon memory? Other than the game above, seeing over 2000 people at Claremont Road for the first game against Leyton Orient.

Favourite team to play? Bognor Regis - great place to go, friendly supporters

Favourite Hendon player of all time? Gary McCann

My Hendon by Jimsredwhiteandgreen

By Jimsredwhiteandgreen (legacy user)21/10/2013 12:24Mon Oct 21 12:24:51 2013In response to My Hendon by Steve RogersTop of thread

Views: 17105

How long have you been supporting Hendon? Been going since 1998.

What was your first game? Can't remember but it was that season.

How did you find Hendon FC? My Dad has supported the club since 1960 odd who lived in the area.

Why do you support Hendon FC? My Dad followed Hendon home and away back in the day and my gran knew HAPPY BARTLETT who used to stick fixture posters up all around Brent Street etc .. Started going with a couple of mates from Hendon St Marys when we 12 or 13.

Favourite Hendon game? Leyton Orient 0-1 Hendon - FA Cup, 25th November 1997. The Same as Steve here.

Went with my brother on the supporters coach from Claremont Road to Orient that night and a great sense of pride travelling there. A good sing song at the pub on the corner before hand and sheer delight when Junior scored that will live with me forever.

Favourite Hendon memory? Also the same as Steve again. Other than the game above, seeing over 2000 people at Claremont Road for the first game against Leyton Orient. Remember the Arsenal stewards dealing with this game, and didn't know what to do when we equalised. A great atmosphere.

The other one that springs to mind is of course the round before away at St Albans. I reckon that was one of our best away followings for some time as it seemed all the Hendon faithful were behind the goal so the atmosphere was decent. After the game many made it back to the pub just near the ground and watched the draw live. Good memories ...

Favourite team to play? The old Enfield back in the day and Aylesbury. Good banter.

Favourite Hendon player of all time? Dave Root, Uche Egbe and Ian Dowie from that era. Always got involved with us behind the goal.

My Hendon by John Rice

By John Rice (legacy user)21/10/2013 12:14Mon Oct 21 12:14:58 2013In response to My Hendon by Steve RogersTop of thread

Views: 16545

How long have you been supporting Hendon? 35 years

What was your first game? MCC Final 1979. 3 - 1 win over Harrow. Len Burt, then Supporters Association Chairman, predicted the score.

How did you find Hendon FC? My uncle was taken to games by his uncle and he did the same for my brother and I.

Why do you support Hendon FC? It is a way of life.

Favourite Hendon game? Beating Leyton Orient 1 - 0 away. Beating Wealdstone 5 - 4. Top game though - 9 April 1987 MSC away against Harrow. 3 - 0 down by half time. Simon, our main singer at a concert. As wwe came out onto the pitch for the second half Jeremy (Simon's brother) started singing 'We will win'. We joined in and sang for the whole of the second half. The players were peed off with us 'taking the p***' as they saw it. Battled back to 3 - 3 by full time. We knocked in 2 more in extra time. Pitch invasion afterwards. Fantastic night.

Favourite Hendon memory? So many. Playing Aldershot at Claremont Road and only seeing half the pitch due to fog. Leyton Orient away. The singing during that game, aided by the vocal Clitterhouse boys.

Favourite team to play? Any club whose fans enter into the true spirit of the game.

Favourite Hendon player of all time? Uche, Dowie, Whits, McCann, Worley, Xavier, Gripper, Gibbo, Drummy, Campbell.... The list goes on. We have been so lucky with some fantastic players who have worn the shirt with pride.

Re: My Hendon by Tony Rice

By Tony Rice (legacy user)22/10/2013 10:35Tue Oct 22 10:35:32 2013In response to My Hendon by John RiceTop of thread

Views: 16274

How long have you been supporting Hendon? Since I was born!

What was your first game? No idea but guessing it would have been a borough game as I used to bunk over the fence!!

How did you find Hendon FC? My uncle was taken to games by his uncle and he did the same for my brother and I.

Why do you support Hendon FC? What else is there!!!

Favourite Hendon game? So many amazing games. Leyton Orient edges it for me - amazing night. Harrow 5 - 3 is a close second though - beats going to a Paul Simon concert, hey Simon:) I couldn't speak properly for a week after both those games after all that singing. Always look on the bright side of life.......

Favourite Hendon memory? Sitting in the pub before the Leyton Orient game and a roudy bunch walked in and it got tense until we realised it was the Clitterhouse lot and we knew we were o.k then.... The 86/87 season with the GMAC run, Yeovil home and away and sutton away, amazing games and performances. Rocky and I made all but about 4 of the 75 games that season. Still annoyed about the bognor game. cheated we were!!!

Favourite team to play? Harrow Borough - always meant a little bit more to me. maybe because our house almost backed onto the ground.

Favourite Hendon player of all time? I would have to go with Gary McCann. all round top bloke and top keeper. Rock solid at Leyton Orient a real Hendon man. Freddie a close second just for his flick over the defender at Heybridge! think it was Heybridge, sure ill be corrected if im wrong!

Note to self - must try and get to a game soon!!!!

My Hendon

By Dorset Don (legacy user)22/10/2013 12:18Tue Oct 22 12:18:33 2013In response to Re: My Hendon by Tony RiceTop of thread

Views: 16235

How long supporting Hendon?: Since the early 70's is my earliest recollection
First Game?: Can't say for certain but I do remember the 1972 Amateur Cup Final against Enfield at
Wembley stadium
How did you find HFC?: My uncle played in the 60s, and my Grandad and mum & dad all watched Hendon.
Why support HFC?: A really friendly club with some marvellous loyal people....just like an extended
family.
Fav game: So many to choose from but - 74 Newcastle United away, 81 Banbury United FA Cup replay 4 -3 aet
Slough Town away '86 winning 4-1 to stay up; and of course Leyton Oriend away.
Fav Memory: I think it would have to be when Junior Lewis powered home that header at the Orient,
massive celebrations from the travelling support.
Fav team to play: St Albans. Nice ground and pitch, and usually a good game of football.
Fav Player: Soooo many to choose from but I was brought up on the likes of Dermot Drummy, Dave Root, Peter Deadman, Iain Dowie, Gary McCann......legends the lot of them!

Email Me

By John Rice (legacy user)26/10/2013 21:01Sat Oct 26 21:01:32 2013In response to My HendonTop of thread

Views: 15798

If anyone wants to forward me their answers to these questions please email me and I will upload them on here and Facebook for you

My Hendon by Norman Villiers

By John Rice (legacy user)26/10/2013 21:15Sat Oct 26 21:15:40 2013In response to Email MeTop of thread

Views: 16287

Have supported since late 40.s  just about change from Golders Green.

Cannot remember first game.Lived at Sudbury Hill at the time,  three buses and a trudge up Claremont Rd.  Win or lose always worth it and they played in green shirts.

Why do I still support ?  Faithful me!

Favourite game. Beating Kingstonian in 1960 Amateur Cup Final by scoring twice in the last few minutes.

Memories.  Many but catching one of the many coaches parked in Claremont Road on away days. andstanding on a farmers cart used as terracing on a trip to Bungay in Suffolk for a Cup match.

Cannot remember the year.Favourite team to play.  Wealdstone every Christmas and Boxing Day, the home for a good meal.

Favourite player.  Toss up between Roy Stroud and Laurie Topp. 

My Hendon by David Coote

By John Rice (legacy user)2/11/2013 18:10Sat Nov 2 18:10:52 2013In response to My Hendon by Norman VilliersTop of thread

Views: 16236

How long have you been supporting Hendon? Since 1966

What was your first game? A 3-0 home victory against Barking in August 1966

How did you find Hendon FC? My Dad took me to my first game.  Claremont Road was relatively local (living in Willesden Green at the time) and England had just won the World Cup so those are probably the main reasons I was dragged up to Hendon!

Why do you support Hendon FC? Probably because watching Hendon was my first experience of attending "live" football as opposed to watching on television.  After the initial live experience I was never going to support any other team.

Favourite Hendon game? Impossible to give just one. My favourites (in no particular order) are the two FA Cup victories against League opposition, the 4-3 FA Cup replay win away at Banbury in the early 80's and the FA Amateur Cup semi-final win against Wycombe at Brentford FC in 1972.  I would also give an honourable mention to the home win against Tonbridge when we won 3-2 after being two down approaching the 90th minute.

Favourite Hendon memory? I remember Hendon losing an FA Cup 4th qualifier 4-1 against Waterlooville in the mid 70's and the abject disappointment after the game.  A few months later we were handed the chance of revenge when we drawn against the same opposition in the FA Trophy and this time Hendon got revenge with a 2-0 win.  I don't remember the game being a classic but I do remember the sheer satisfaction at the result

Favourite team to play? No favourite team as such but I always liked visiting the old Dulwich Hamlet ground as well as Walthamstow Avenue.  They were "proper" football stadiums and from memory we had an astonishingly good record on both grounds.

Favourite Hendon player of all time? Rod Haider - such a classy player.  Very close runners up would be John Swannell, Peter Deadman, Dermot Drummy,  Iain Dowie and Junior Lewis.  Another player high on the list would be Roy Butler.  You certainly couldn't call Roy a "goal-scoring" centre forward (37 goals from 195 apps) but it was his "never give up" mentality even when things weren't going well that I found so impressive.

My Hendon by The Ancient Marriner

By John Rice (legacy user)2/11/2013 18:22Sat Nov 2 18:22:11 2013In response to My Hendon by David CooteTop of thread

Views: 15738

Supported since 1957/58.

1st game. Cant remember (Its over 50years!) Could have been one of those pre season games they used to play Probables V Possibles.

We lived on the North Circular near Neasden.

Well went to school with boys who I never liked who were keen Wealdstone supporters so need I say more.

The 1964/5 season some great games The London Chalange cup match at Highbury v Arsenal (coming back from 3 nil down after 18mins) to win 4 - 3 and the quite magnificent league title play off v Enfield at Champion Hill with a 4- 1, win.

Juniors goal at The Orient in 1998.

To play it has to be the old Enfield.

The Player their are so many but if pushed I would   have to pick Bill Fisher what a servent to the club over 3 decades.

My Hendon by Bomber

By John Rice (legacy user)3/11/2013 10:21Sun Nov 3 10:21:00 2013In response to My Hendon by The Ancient MarrinerTop of thread

Views: 15968

How long have you been supporting Hendon? 25 glorious, infuriating, happy, rain-sodden, exciting, bewildering years.

What was your first game? October 22nd 1988. 1-1 draw with Leyton Wingate. Dermot Drummy gave us the lead in 7 minutes after a flick-on from Iain Dowie. Pat Gordon equalised 4 minutes from half-time. In the last minute, Martin Duffield had a shot parried, Gary Keen drove it back across the six yard box, and Iain Dowie couldn't connect. I had hula-hoops from the tea-hut. Dad bought me a scarf (which I still have).  The next day in the park, I pretended to be Phil Gridelet.Now, ask me what I did last Thursday, I wouldn't have the faintest idea...

How did you find Hendon FC? My dad asked me one day if I wanted to go football. Chelsea, I thought. No, a local team. QPR? No, Hendon. I was, even for an 11 year-old, rather unimpressed. Best decision I ever made footballing wise (apart from turning down that trial with Liverpool as I didn't like their new kit*)*May not actually have happened

Why do you support Hendon FC? Through dad partly, but I think also as well, I was at that young-and-impressionable age. Got totally hooked into it, liked the ground, the people, the players, almost revelled in the slight quirkiness of supporting a non-league team at school (when everyone else supported Liverpool, Man United etc). I was an odd kid.

Favourite Hendon game? Just one? Not possible - pick from both the Leyton Orient games, Bath away in the FA Cup, the win away at Aylesbury in Frank Murphy's first season, the 5-4 defeat at Carshalton, the 3-0 win over AFC Wimbledon in the Trophy, the London Senior Cup final win over Croydon, the Middlesex Senior Cup win over Wembley on penalties, the 3-0 defeat at Dover when our flags outnumbered there...they're just the ones I can remember now. It's like "What's Your favourite song?" Kinda depends on the mood - some days, my favourite game will be the 1-0 (aet) victory over Wembley in the League cup (Hakan Altinok a few minutes from time) when I think I developed frostbite.

Favourite Hendon memory? Two: the win against Harrow 7-0 when Burgo scored. Even from a yard and a half, there was still a sharp intake of breath then just utter pandemonium. the second one was the above mentioned win at Aylesbury - Simon Clarke scoring late on, and everyone on the terrace just running around going "AAAARRRGGGGHGHGHHHGH". Bedlam.Favourite team to play? Haven't really got a favourite team to play, as much as a ground to visit - liked Dulwich for that reason (they had an excellent array of sauces in their tea-hut). Used to like old-school St Albans, and despite being one of the most aesthetically unappealing grounds on the planet, liked going to Yeading. 

Favourite Hendon player of all time? Again, just one? Think we're lucky to have had some absolute quality play for us down the years - the current management team included - plus the legend that is Bontcho Guentchev. Probably Bontcho shades it as he gave me a lift home from Ashford Town once (he dropped me several miles away in the wrong direction and it took me longer to get home that it would have otherwise, but it has given me the pub conversation starter "Well, yeah, Bontcho Guentchev gave me a lift home once", which to be fair isn't much of a conversation starter, and probably is responsible for me being not invited out much anymore....)

My Hendon by David Wright

By John Rice (legacy user)4/11/2013 00:37Mon Nov 4 00:37:58 2013In response to My Hendon by BomberTop of thread

Views: 15952

I have supported Hendon since November 1971.

First game was home to Hitchin 03/11/70 in the league. A 6-1 victory was certainly a good one to choose.

I found Hendon through local press coverage and recommendations.

I support Hendon in part due to the friendly non-league atmosphere - better than being treated like criminals, segregated from opposition supporters either by fences or legions of stewards. The standard has also always (well almost always) been very high. The only obvious difference has been the part-time nature of the game at this level and the absence of full-time training and associated fitness levels.

Favourite game: Newcastle away at St James' Park 1974.  Drawing away in front of 32,000 fans against a team that went on to reach the FA Cup Final speaks for itself. In those days, the FA Cup meant so much to every top team. There was simply no question of playing anything but the best players available.

Favourite Hendon memory: So many here, but perhaps the FA Cup replay win at Banbury on 06/10/81, when having seen Banbury go 3-2 up with only a few minutes to go, deep  into injury time Dermot Drummy smashes in a 30 yard shot just below the bar, almost central, but giving the keeper little chance. Other candidates: The final whistles in the FA Cup at home to Reading and away to Orient, and of course Newcastle; also, watching Hendon play at the Oval Cricket ground (Vauxhall End) against Corinthian Casuals 11/11/72 in the Isthmian League. No, we didn't run up a cricket score, but thanks to Fred Pudney we did win 2-1.

Favourite team to play: No team in particular. Any team we beat really! It is a great shame that so many of the local clubs that we used to play are no longer in the Isthmian League or have been moved to the Southern League.

Favourite all-time player: Bobby Childs. He was a fantastic signing from St Albans. His corner kicks alone led to crucial goals in the Wycombe Amateur Cup semi-final at Brentford and at Merthyr Tydfil in the FA Cup, which took us to Newcastle.

My Hendon by John Robert Richardson

By John Rice (legacy user)6/11/2013 07:04Wed Nov 6 07:04:24 2013In response to My Hendon by David WrightTop of thread

Views: 16435

I remember my first game was in 1963-64 season, Hendon beat Dagenham 3-0 in a FA Cup 3rd Qualifying Round match. I went with some older boys from our road in West Hendon. It was a long walk, crossing the North Circular at Staples Corner and cutting up Brent Terrace past fierce dogs guarding the breakers yards to reach the Clitterhouse estate. (a bit like the approach to Millwall).

Being bought up in Hendon, Hendon FC were my local team, I considered them to be the 'Arsenal' of amateur football. They had the best matchday programme which was priced 6d. It had a picture of the amateur cup with winners 1960 printed underneath. At the time Claremont Road was one of the best grounds and one of the few outside the league to have 'proper' floodlights with pylons in each corner. They even had a catchy signature tune 'Wheels Cha Cha' by the Joe Loss band for the players to run out to.

My favourite game was was in 1966-67 against Oxford City at Claremont Road for a 3rd round of the FA Amateur Cup tie. Hendon were losing 3-1 at half time and then turned the game round to win 4-3 with Tony Harding scoring the winner.

My favourite memory was in February 1966. Claremont Road was jam packed for the FA Amateur Cup 4th round tie against Wycombe Wanderers with a massive crowd of 5,489. Wycombe bought forty coaches which had to be parked on the old Handley Page site in Cricklewood. The crowd was so tightly packed it was impossible for supporters to change ends at half time. Hendon won the tie 2-1 but sadly Jimmy Quail broke his leg.

My favourite Hendon player must be 60 goals in a season (1964-65) David Hyde with John Swannell runner up.

Re: My Hendon by John Robert Richardson

By Jeff Hill (legacy user)6/11/2013 11:52Wed Nov 6 11:52:43 2013In response to My Hendon by John Robert RichardsonTop of thread

Views: 15592

'Wheels' by Joe Loss; I just love reading these memories as it triggers things in my own memory. Does anyone know how long 'Wheels' was used for? I would love the players to run out to that now.

By Mallorca Don (legacy user)6/11/2013 16:46Wed Nov 6 16:46:03 2013In response to Re: My Hendon by John Robert RichardsonTop of thread

Views: 15922

And thanks for reminding me about those dogs in the scrap yard. They used to scare the cr*p out of me. I am going to have nightmares all over again.

Hendon FC @ Wembley - If the future looks bleak, relive the past

By John Rice (legacy user)6/11/2013 17:06Wed Nov 6 17:06:43 2013In response to Re: My Hendon by John Robert RichardsonTop of thread

Views: 16084

Mallorca. Care to add your answers to our expanding nostalgia list?

My Hendon by Kevin Neylon

By John Rice (legacy user)6/11/2013 07:06Wed Nov 6 07:06:19 2013In response to My Hendon by John Robert RichardsonTop of thread

Views: 15851

Since 1988

Braintree Town 0-0

A mate Paul Sachdev introduced the Dons

Meeting Martin Duffield

Playing Reading away in Fa Cup

Getting knocked out by wayward Gary Keen cross

Harrow Boro

Martin Duffield legend

My Hendon by Leslie Ian Jones

By John Rice (legacy user)6/11/2013 07:07Wed Nov 6 07:07:32 2013In response to My Hendon by Kevin NeylonTop of thread

Views: 15712

From about 1967.

Cannot remember first game, but I followed a small crowd one Saturday and found the ground. So went the next week.

I 'support' if thats the right word as they were my local team them and i have never stopped looking for their results.

Favourite game has to be the 71/72 FA Amateur Cup Final.

Loved standing behind the goalkeeper John Swannell so he was my favourite.

Re: My Hendon by Sandra Wood

By John Rice (legacy user)8/11/2013 09:27Fri Nov 8 09:27:56 2013In response to My Hendon by Leslie Ian JonesTop of thread

Views: 16283

I have supported Hendon most of my life.

My Dad was a supporter and took me to a few games when I was younger, but I just messed around and he stopped taking me.

My first memory of watching Hendon was the 1960 Amateur Final, I was not allowed to go, so watched it on the television and went over to Claremont Road on my bike to see them return with the Cup. The road outside the ground was a mass of people. Starting supporting them seriously at the Amateur Cup Semi Final match against Finchley, which was played at Highbury.

Hendon is in my blood, my Dad supported them and met my Mum in the bar (when they were Golders Green) I met Tony at Hendon and one of my Daughters also met her husband through Hendon. Three generations of us. Hendon has a lot to answer for.

My favourite games must be the League play off at Dulwich's old ground when we beat our great rivals Enfield, The Newcastle game, we met Tony's uncle in a pub in Newcastle before the game and it was mobbed with Newcastle Supporters and we walked in with our Hendon Scarves. They were very friendly and we lost count of the number of drinks they brought us. That probably why I can't remember much about the actual game. The Leyton Orient game was also one of my favourites. The coldest game I ever went to was at Highgate, did not warm up for days after that.

I have not got a favourite team to play, but I do have one I hate watching and I am sure you can guess who that is.

My favourite Player was Peter Deadman.

I remember supporters were handed song sheets with words to "Wheels" at a FA cup game (might have been Reading) and I think the first verse went something like this " We're the boys, the boys from Hendon, we win goals and we defend them, we try so hard to play a sporting game and hope that all the others do the same"
I wonder of anyone out there there still has one of those song sheets? My biggest regret is not going on Malcolm Graves coach to the European Amateur Cup final game in Italy. I wish I had. The stories I have heard about that trip are legendary.

O Hendon!

By Mallorca Don (legacy user)10/11/2013 17:28Sun Nov 10 17:28:59 2013In response to Re: My Hendon by Sandra WoodTop of thread

Views: 15700

I'am slightly embarrased to report that at least one copy of this song sheet exits.

I'd heard about this song from somewhere and so when a copy of it appeared on ebay a few years ago,
I snapped it up - for a song in fact!

Sandra's memory is very good after nearly 50 years, but the printed lyrics for the first two lines differ slightly:-

"We're the greens, the boys from Hendon"
We win cups and we defend them."

The full verse is repeated 6 times with the following chorus being sung after verses 2 and 4

"O Hendon!
O Hendon!
We want goals -
Two, three or four!
O Hendon!
O Hendon!
We want goals -
Goals galore!

As Sandra says, the songsheet was issued with the program for the Reading FA Cup game played on 26/11/66. The program reports that the song was written by 11 year old Michael Raymond son of the club president and that there had been a try out of the song at the previous home game.

I just can't understand why it didn't catch on!

Hendon FC @ Wembley - If the future looks bleak, relive the past

Another Exists

By John Rice (legacy user)10/11/2013 17:42Sun Nov 10 17:42:51 2013In response to O Hendon!Top of thread

Views: 15735

John Richardson has kindly provided a scan of this song sheet. As soon as is possible I will upload them onto this thread. In the meantime I will add them onto the Facebook page.

Another song

By John Fordham (legacy user)18/11/2013 09:19Mon Nov 18 09:19:21 2013In response to Another ExistsTop of thread

Views: 15633

Another song did exist - if memory serves, there was a competition for writing a song for,maybe (??), the 1970 Amateur up Final. The song went somethng like

H E N D O N Hendon
Hendon F C
Hendon on the ball
Each one ready
2 1 steady
We will fight, fight where others fall

Now I wonder why that didn't catch on.

Another song

By Richhend (legacy user)18/11/2013 09:33Mon Nov 18 09:33:28 2013In response to Another songTop of thread

Views: 15653

Furthrr to John Fordham"s post I seem to recall that the song he regrrs to was 'fronted' by our Far East based supporter Paul Cunningham. I seem to recall Pail running through the lyrics at a game but can't recall when.

Another song

By John Richardson (legacy user)4/12/2013 17:09Wed Dec 4 17:09:55 2013In response to Another songTop of thread

Views: 15490

The song that Paul Cummings introduced around 1970 was adapted from a Glasgow Celtic song.
The chorus went,
'H E N D O N, HENDON, HENDON FC, HENDON ON THE BALL'.
I remember the first verse,
'IN THE HALL OF FAME OF THE FOOTBALL GAME
THERE IS A TEAM THAT STANDS ALONE,
IT'S A LONDON TEAM AND THEY REIGN SUPREME,
THEY ARE THE BOYS IN GREEN'

There were several other verses.

Re: Another song

By John Rice (legacy user)4/12/2013 21:57Wed Dec 4 21:57:21 2013In response to Another songTop of thread

Views: 15474

Brilliant. Thank you very much.

Keep these memories coming please.

My Hendon by John White

By John Rice (legacy user)24/12/2013 17:34Tue Dec 24 17:34:16 2013In response to Re: Another songTop of thread

Views: 15694

I have supported Hendon for 21 years.

I went because a friend of mine went. It was a chance to meet up and have a drink before and after the game.

First match v Basingstoke Sat 27th april lost 2-1.

It was one of my local non-league teams where I was living at the time.

I started coming on the odd occasion. And soon got to know a lot of the regular fans. It was not only the Football it was a social thing.

I have many favourite games. The F.A. cup matches But 2 games stick in my memory. Both League games. Sat. 6th march 1999. Home to St.Albans. Hendon playing their 4th game that week. First half dominated the game hit the woodwork twice. But went at half time 2-1 up. The game was fast and smooth flowing with the Ref. Ignoring his Linesman's flag to play the advantage. We were 3-1 up when we thought the game was ours. St. Albans top scorer scored two late goals to make it 3-3. But late in stoppage time Hendon forced a corner and Jon Daly headed home the winner. Then ran behind the goal to hi-five the jubilant Hendon fans for an amazing 4-3 win.
The other - Sat.25th August 2007. Home to Tonbridge Angels for the incredible comeback after being 2-0 down. It looked it was not going to be Hendon's day when Brian Haule missed a 85th minute penalty. A couple of fans decided they had seen enough and left. Tonbridge were time-wasting. As time edged toward 5 O'Clock, Hendon scored three goals in about 2 minutes. Wayne O'Sullivan scored the winner at a minute to 5. The Joy of the Hendon fans behind the goal meant I ended up hugging a bloke I hardly knew. If someone wrote about a game like that they would say it was far-fetched. But I was there.

Favourite team to play - St. Albans and Canvey Island in the 90's and 00's. Good entertaining footballing teams. Though they won a majority of games we always managed to get the odd result out of them.

Favourite Player. Simon Clarke. Played 7 seasons for Hendon. Supporters player of the year twice. Played in every position even makeshift Striker and Goalkeeper. Always gave a good performance and a loyal player to the club.

My Hendon by Chris Hutton

By John Rice (legacy user)13/2/2014 15:36Thu Feb 13 15:36:58 2014In response to My Hendon by John WhiteTop of thread

Views: 15246

How long have you been supporting Hendon?
From the day I was born! I believe that I was taken to matches in my pushchair by my Mum and Dad along with my brother Paul and from what I have been told, I even escaped out of my pushchair and wandered onto the pitch at one match, no idea what the match was but not the only time that I went on the pitch whilst following Hendon!

What was your first game?
No idea as I was still in a pushchair but the first matches that I do remember were all in the 86/87 season....

League Cup Final held at Windsor against Bognor when we lost 3-2

Burton Albion home and away in the GMAC cup semi final....the Hendon fans singing "who put the ball in the Burton net.....Dermot Drummy"

The final which was against Kettering at their own ground.....remember being caged in for our own safety and my first real taste of segregation at a non league match

Harrow Borough away in the County Cup when we were 3-0 down and came back to win 5-3.....remember running on the pitch afterwards to celebrate with all the other Hendon supporters

Why do you support Hendon FC?
Brainwashed by my family and really did not have a choice, had Harrow Borough and Wealdstone on our doorstep but was always going to be Hendon as it was a family tradition

Favourite Hendon game?
Really hard to pick a particular game as there have been so many favourites over the years.
The home match against Leyton Orient in the FA Cup has to be one though simply due to the fact there was a big crowd at Claremont Road and an amazing atmosphere. followed by
The replay which we won. A great turn out of Hendon supporters and another great atmosphere plus Hendon all over Sky Sports News and the national papers for change

Favourite Hendon memory?
Again so many to pick from with lots of incidents over the years on the terraces with visiting supporters.....these are more personal to me so they stick out in my memory a lot more. Running on the pitch at Purfleet to celebrate a comeback goal, an argument with visiting Enfield supporters, a Chertsey supporter threatening to hit me lol

Favourite team to play?
Not that I ever liked them, but home and away matches against Enfield always seemed quite lively and had a good atmosphere. Always a good crowd at their place and they always brought decent support to ours. Also the same reason for Slough Town, plus I lived there for a few years so away trips to their ground were easy for me

Favourite Hendon player of all time?
Well I was pictured as a kid in the Roy of the Rovers comic posing with Iain Dowie 'Me and My Hero' was the title so I guess Iain Dowie would be up there as one of my favourites! Too many others over the years that could warrant a mention but really any player who gave 100% for the club and wasn't only there for the money

My Hendon by Andrew Goodrich

By John Rice (legacy user)17/2/2014 20:34Mon Feb 17 20:34:56 2014In response to My Hendon by Chris HuttonTop of thread

Views: 15429

Started supporting Hendon in the early70's with my Dad, can't remember my first game but it was 70/71, favourite games 2-0 V Enfield at Wembley and Reading in 75 and beating Barnet in The FA Cup 3-0, favourite players include the Great Rod Haider, John Swannel, Tony Bass, Peter Deadman.
Saddest moment is every time I drive past Claremont Road, no more words needed.

My Hendon by Martyn Lewington

By John Rice (legacy user)11/6/2014 10:56Wed Jun 11 10:56:35 2014In response to My Hendon by Andrew GoodrichTop of thread

Views: 14879

How long have you been supporting Hendon? I used to go with my father back in the 1950s Up until about 1960. Played on the Claremont Road pitch a couple of times in later years

What was your first game? Can't remember but we used to go to away matches as well, I think in the Athenian League then.

How did you find Hendon FC? I was born in Hendon - see above. My relatives lived in Claremont Road(still do) and the local area.

Why do you support Hendon FC? Local team then

Favourite Hendon game? Got to be FA Cup Final 1960 against Kingstonian. We had the 2nd best seats at 12s 6d

Favourite Hendon memory? as above

Favourite team to play? Enfield

Favourite Hendon player of all time? Probably Laurie Topp

Re: My Hendon by Martyn Lewington

By GaryJones25/5/2015 17:29Mon May 25 17:29:02 2015In response to My Hendon by Martyn LewingtonTop of thread

Views: 11478

How long have you been supporting Hendon? Since 1969 regularly though I had a lean period in the 80s & 90s.
What was your first game? In 1966, taken by Dad who worked in the nearby Handley Page aircraft factory
How did you find Hendon FC? Easily living in West Hendon, encouraged by Dad. From 69 till 74, went with combinations of the bigger local boys - John (Richardson - also here), Paul (Sanderson).... no George....but Richard (Church - also here)...and also Rob (Benham). We walked over the North Circular Rd & up Brent Terrace. Also went to loads of away games in early 70s on supporters' coach(es) and in time by car as the lads passed the driving test.
Why do you support Hendon FC? In the blood or at least by osmosis from age 6.
Favourite Hendon game? Amateur Cup semi in 72 against Wycombe at Brentford. Great game,
Favourite Hendon memory? Music on the "tannoy" at Claremont Rd before the game & at half time - "Band of Gold" and "Love Grows" seemed to be on an endless loop in the early 70s. Also winning a free season ticket & Rod Haider presenting it to me on the pitch.
Favourite team to play? The old Enfield FC.
Favourite Hendon player of all time? Rod Haider (though Swannell, Deadman, Anderson, Baker come close)

My Hendon......

By Deadman27/5/2015 09:32Wed May 27 09:32:40 2015In response to Re: My Hendon by Martyn LewingtonTop of thread

Views: 11412

How long have you been supporting Hendon? Following for 43 years....supporting properly for a lot lot less!
What was your first game? 1972 Amateur Cup Semi Final v Wycombe Wanderers at Griffin Park.
How did you find Hendon FC? My Dad was born in Cricklewood and was a die-hard home and away supporter throughout the 1950's & early 1960's. He took me to a few games in the 1970's and we went to a couple in the 80's.
Why do you support Hendon FC? A few factors....wanting to see a great old club do well against the odds, Earlsmead is local to me, the players give it everything and the people around the club are very friendly.
Favourite Hendon game? Probably this season's League Cup Final win v Grays. Great goals, great saves from Ben, great venue, great spirit from both teams and a great result!!
Favourite Hendon memory? Beating Reading at home 1-0 in The FA Cup. Remember the crowd packed into Claremont Road (no idea of the official figure?) and the general excitement of the FA Cup.
Favourite team to play? Lewes away...love their ground, Dulwich away...great pub at Denmark Hill before and after, Bognor away....superb pitch and the egg and bacon rolls were done just right!
Favourite Hendon player of all time? Peter Deadman. Oozed class at the back. Our very own Bobby Moore!

Previous thread: Planning for 2015/16 by Simon18/5/2015 16:11Mon May 18 16:11:53 2015view thread