ContinueWe use cookies to ensure that you get the best experience on our website; if you continue without changing your settings - or dismiss this message - we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies on forum.hendonfc.net

Return to front page

Newest article: Part 2: The Manager by John RogersToday 15:00Today at 15:00:05view thread

Oldest article: Awards Night by HendonJohn5/5/2013 19:04Sun May 5 19:04:40 2013view thread

MenuSearch

Next thread: sky football at harrow by essex don30/8/2013 18:54Fri Aug 30 18:54:03 2013view thread

Cheap Train Fares to Bury

By SteveHFC (legacy user)30/8/2013 09:25Fri Aug 30 09:25:38 2013

Views: 4323

Just to alert you that Greater Anglia are currently selling advance single tickets from Liverpool Street to Bury St Edmunds for £8 (standard) or £13 (first class) for our visit there on 5th October. This isn't an FA Cup or FA Trophy date so, unless the weather is truly awful, it is a game that will go ahead on the planned date. So you can do a return trip for just £16 (standard) or £26 (first class) plus whatever it would cost you to get to Liverpool Street. Get in quick, because the cheapest tickets can go quite quickly.

If you're ordering online - don't forget to go via the EasyFundraising Shop and choose one of the train companies that does donations for tickets for other train companies (takes a bit of searching - I usually use East Midlands Trains website) and you can raise a bit of cash for the club.

Most of the really cheap tickets for Lowestoft next week have gone - but you can still do the round trip from Liverpool Street for £24.50 if you don't mind not leaving Lowestoft until just after 7pm.

Greensnet - The Official Hendon FC Website
Hendon FC Supporters Trust Official Website

reply to this article | return to the front page

Re: Cheap Train Fares to Bury

By Malc (legacy user)30/8/2013 09:52Fri Aug 30 09:52:24 2013In response to Cheap Train Fares to BuryTop of thread

Views: 3922

I looked into travelling by train to each of those games but decided against it. The journey to each of those destinations involves changing. The cheaper tickets are train specific and if the first part of the journey runs late and you miss your connection (at Norwich or Ipswich) you cannot use the ticket on a later train, even though it's not your fault. Some of the transfer times are tight and it wouldn't take much of a delay to miss the connection.
I emailed the train company and they were adamant about this so I decided not to take the chance. Hence, I'm looking for a lift to Lowestoft and will be getting a National Express coach to Bury.

By SteveHFC (legacy user)30/8/2013 10:23Fri Aug 30 10:23:01 2013In response to Re: Cheap Train Fares to BuryTop of thread

Views: 4147

I believe you've been given duff information by the person who replied to your email.

You can use the tickets on a later train if the first part of the journey runs late. I've checked the terms and conditions on the National Rail and Greater Anglia websites (see below). You just have to make sure you're in time for the first train of the trip. If you are late for the first train, then yes, you do have to buy a new ticket, but if the delay is caused by the train company or Network Rail - they will honour the ticket on a later train.

When I went to Lowestoft last year, I was supposed to change at Ipswich, but the train got delayed and missed the connection. The conductor advised everyone to stay on the train and change at Norwich where the connection would be held and all tickets would be honoured. I had no problems.

I do agree that some of the connections are tight - Lowestoft particularly.

Info below is from the National Rail website - Advance Tickets - terms and conditions (National Rail).

The same terms and conditions are on the Greater Anglia website, pretty much word for word - Advance Tickets - terms and conditions (Greater Anglia).

Conditions of use

You must be at the departure station shown on your ticket in good time to catch the train. If you miss the first train on which you are booked for any reason, a new ticket must be purchased.

If delays occur while travelling, you will be allowed to take the next available train(s) to complete your journey.

Railcard holders travelling on a discounted ticket must carry their Railcard when they travel. If a

Railcard holder fails to produce a valid Railcard with their ticket, a new ticket must be purchased as if no Railcard and/or no ticket were held.

First Class Advance tickets do not always grant access to First Class Lounges at stations. Please check with the train company you are travelling with to confirm policy at specific stations.

National Express coaches are a good option though - they do some good prices as well.

By Malc (legacy user)30/8/2013 10:47Fri Aug 30 10:47:54 2013In response to Re: Cheap Train Fares to BuryTop of thread

Views: 3961

I didn't think what they were telling me was correct but there were quite a few emails bouncing between us so in the end I just accepted it. Although I'm sure what you say is correct I'm still not going to chance it.
I haven't used a mainline train in years and don't feel confident sticking to all the hidden terms and conditions.
If I'm unsuccessful in getting a lift I might make a weekend of it and travel to Lowestoft by coach on the Friday, stay in a B&B, returning Sunday.
I believe the Supporters Association runs coaches from time to time, but the last one (Leiston) picked up from South Mimms, do you know if that is always the case as I can't get there to catch it.
Does anyone have a contact number/email address to verify this?
I've got the Hendon bug again after too many years away so it's a new learning curve.
Thanks for your help.

By SteveHFC (legacy user)30/8/2013 10:58Fri Aug 30 10:58:44 2013In response to Re: Cheap Train Fares to BuryTop of thread

Views: 3917

I'm usually the contact for coach bookings - I'm waiting for confirmation on the Lowestoft coach details - and will put something on the website as soon as I know them. I have pointed out (as it affects me as well) that South Mimms is not convenient for those without a car, but as yet don't know if any other pick up points will be made available.

That said, and I need to make this clearer on the website going forward, we all need to bear in mind that the coach a players coach, and we are fortunate that Gary & the management team allow supporters to travel with the squad. The money that supporters pay go towards the cost of the players coach - but it doesn't even come close to covering the cost. Unfortunately running a separate supporters coach just isn't viable anymore - you'd need to fill it to cover costs.

It's great to hear you've got the Hendon bug again - it would be good to put a face to the name, most supporters know who I am and can point me out.

Previous thread: Lowestoft away by Malc29/8/2013 19:10Thu Aug 29 19:10:33 2013view thread