ContinueWe use cookies to ensure that you get the best experience on our website; if you continue without changing your settings - or dismiss this message - we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies on forum.hendonfc.net

Return to front page

Newest article: Part 2: The Manager by John RogersToday 15:00Today at 15:00:05view thread

Oldest article: Awards Night by HendonJohn5/5/2013 19:04Sun May 5 19:04:40 2013view thread

MenuSearch

Next thread: Leiston by Paul Butler21/8/2013 01:48Wed Aug 21 01:48:54 2013view thread

Truely Astonishing...

By rwakeley (legacy user)18/8/2013 01:18Sun Aug 18 01:18:45 2013

Views: 3864

In my post-match drunken state I'll start the ball rolling and categorically state that is one, if not, the most, bizarrely contested ninety mintues I've seen. Having said that, despite the missed deluge of chances, I thought Maidstone held the upper hand through-out. Having hit them, they hit back with venom immediately. A class act, under-pinned by a master-class in midfield supremacy. There number 8, Alex Brown the chief architect. Master-stroke by Messrs McCann for the re-introduction of the Wycombe contingent.
I think it's harsh saying we were given a footballing lesson, but I go back to my previous post of contributing factors. It is unfortunate that we have met two potentially early pace-setters in prime form, whilst we are not yet firing on all cylinders.
For me, our season starts now - with an added injection from Wycombe - I am delighted with one very crucial aspect. I was concerned with my personally perceived notion of games at Earlsmead. I am more satisfied that we can create chances. I still have an issue at the balance of chances via the opposition by-line to down the flanks, to down the middle, but clearly this is evolving. I am just as equally perplexed by the potential for goals at the other end.
This was certainly not an afternoon to diminish my apprehensions.
I maintain the present is an unpleasant period.
Well played the lads and especially as is the norm the management. I maintain we are going in the right direction and are still in the process of finding our feet.
Keep working hard lads - and lets face the next demanding week with the same endeavour.

rwakeley

reply to this article | return to the front page

"Just like the 40s & 50s"

By SteveHFC (legacy user)18/8/2013 09:09Sun Aug 18 09:09:50 2013In response to Truely Astonishing...Top of thread

Views: 3426

That was one of the comments made to me during the game. I wouldn't know, wasn't alive then, but judging by scorelines from 60-70 years ago, that would seem to hold true. Their keeper summed it up well too by saying "it's like playing in schoolboy football".

For me, we lost the game in midfield. Yes, we made errors at the back, but if we'd controlled the midfield more, then maybe the ball wouldn't have got as far as the back four. Teams aren't letting us play the passing game we want to play, so we need to make sure we have an alternative option, and I'm sure that's something that's being worked on.

That said, we're not going to come up against a front pairing of the calibre of Frannie Collin and Paul Booth too often, if at all, this season.

Unlike Monday against Dulwich, I can't fault the work-rate of anyone, and certainly the return of Junior & Lee from Wycombe made a huge difference going forwards. Apart from possibly the last goal, I don't think Charlie in goal did a lot wrong either - and he certainly made a few excellent saves.

Ultimately, whilst I'm disappointed we lost, I came away from the game having been thoroughly entertained by both teams.

The games are coming thick and fast, we just need to put this one behind us, and hopefully go on and get three points on Tuesday. Hope those that are making the journey have a safe one.

Greensnet - The Official Hendon FC Website
Hendon FC Supporters Trust Official Website

Maidstone

By Toonarmy (legacy user)18/8/2013 19:34Sun Aug 18 19:34:13 2013In response to "Just like the 40s & 50s"Top of thread

Views: 3443

Hi I thought I would come on and give a Maidstone view on the game, it was a fantastic advertisement for attacking football, the less said about defending the better, it reminded me of watching Newcastle during the 90's, enjoyed the visit to earlsmead and look forward to visiting it again, I thought your keeper played really well and made some fantastic saves, regardless of the fact he conceded 5, good luck for the rest of the season and look forward to seeing you down at the Gallagher stadium

Previous thread: Anyone driving to Leiston? by Paul Butler13/8/2013 13:27Tue Aug 13 13:27:43 2013view thread