ContinueWe use cookies to ensure that you get the best experience on our website; if you continue without changing your settings - or dismiss this message - we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies on forum.hendonfc.net

Return to front page

Newest article: Re: Introspection by DessieYesterday 10:47Yesterday at 10:47:42view thread

Oldest article: Awards Night by HendonJohn5/5/2013 19:04Sun May 5 19:04:40 2013view thread

MenuSearch

Next thread: Truely Astonishing... by rwakeley18/8/2013 01:18Sun Aug 18 01:18:45 2013view thread

Anyone driving to Leiston?

By Paul Butler (legacy user)13/8/2013 13:27Tue Aug 13 13:27:43 2013

Views: 4439

Has anyone got a spare seat in a motor going to Leiston next Tues? Can meet wherever - and would also be happy to do the match report if I manage to get there!!

reply to this article | return to the front page

Re: Anyone driving to Leiston?

By John Fordham (legacy user)13/8/2013 19:19Tue Aug 13 19:19:31 2013In response to Anyone driving to Leiston?Top of thread

Views: 4019

I'm going to be going, Paul. However, will be leaving in the morning to have a day out on the Suffolk coast prior to the game which probably doesn't suit you. You are welcome to a lift if convenient or, if you can make your own way there, can give you (or anyone else) a lift back.

Anyone driving to Leiston?

By Malc (legacy user)15/8/2013 09:42Thu Aug 15 09:42:54 2013In response to Re: Anyone driving to Leiston?Top of thread

Views: 3972

Hello John,
Am also looking for a lift on Tuesday. Would pay my share of the fuel. Have got the day off so going up for the day would be fine. Hope to hear from you.
Regards
Malc

By John Fordham (legacy user)16/8/2013 07:49Fri Aug 16 07:49:37 2013In response to Anyone driving to Leiston?Top of thread

Views: 3939

I am taking Paul & Charlie so one spare space in car. Send me an e-mail if still interested, Malc - might need ear-plugs though!! Am picking them up at Brent Cross at 10am.

By Paul Butler (legacy user)13/8/2013 19:24Tue Aug 13 19:24:37 2013In response to Re: Anyone driving to Leiston?Top of thread

Views: 4109

That doesn't sound too bad to me actually! I'll see if any of the usual suspects also fancy it, if you don't mind us tagging along with you of course.

re: Leiston

By alan ainsworth (legacy user)15/8/2013 19:41Thu Aug 15 19:41:18 2013In response to Re: Anyone driving to Leiston?Top of thread

Views: 4052

A reasonable day out.
Driving punters who fancy an all-day excursion should note there's a race meeting at Yarmouth on Tuesday afternoon - can't be much more than 25 miles up the coast. Nothing special. Standard Yarmouth card. Most of the top Newmarket trainers have entries. Interesting sprint a 4:00, in which James Fanshawe's Green Monkey seems a possible investment, having looked better-suited by the minimum trip recently.

Leiston's Long Shop Museum is a must for anyone into traction engines and old vehicles & machinery.

Beach at Sizewell very pleasant. Even in January with squally showers blowing-in on a 30 mph wind. Ancient fishing boats lying around. High dog count.
The rather bleak twelve-furlong-long road from Leiston to Sizewell beach is a mite depressing: plenty of car tyres, excess building materials and general crap lying around. The pub on the way - The Vulcan - was closed at lunchtime when I was there, but ought to be open in mid-summer. Amusing triptych pub sign of Hephaestus, Spock and a bomber (not Paul). Other than the cafe overlooking the beach, there ain't many amenities in Sizewell itself.
The nuclear reactors arouse a variety of primeval instincts.

Leiston? A fairly cutting edge place for a town of 5,000 so far from civilisation. Two decent chippies; several ethnic eateries; the cafe I went in was good; a nice baker's; only one bookie (Hill's); plenty of cashpoints.
Boozers? The closest to the ground - The Volunteer - was closed and apparently attracted scallies. (Non-streetwise landlord.)
The Royal Standard and some of its clientele looked a bit rough but it was friendly enough. I'm less sure about the Sports Bar opposite. Cosmopolitan contingent of natives. Quite a few blue-ish collar blow-ins, presumably working at Sizewell, and more than a handful of Frogs, Yanks & Ruskies.
Reputedly the best pub, The Engineers, was closed due to flooding on my August trip and closed due to electrical problems on my January visit. Drinkers in the next door White Horse seemed confident it had gone tits-up.
Food looked good in the White Horse. Must say the quality of darts in there was County Championship standard. Five blokes turned up in ones & twos, wearing black & yellow shirts, and preceded to pummel the lipstick for 20 minutes. I saw at least two 180s and one bloke nailed a 13-darter... and it turned out they were only warming-up. I was impressed enough to ask who the opposition were. Answer: some bunch up near Norwich. Away. They piled into a couple of cars and headed off to Norfolk.

Re: re: Leiston

By John Fordham (legacy user)16/8/2013 07:59Fri Aug 16 07:59:09 2013In response to re: LeistonTop of thread

Views: 4175

You forget two of the local attractions, Alan, if interested in nature and the countryside:

1. The flagship RSPB reserve at Minsmeee, next door to Leiston

http://www.rspb.org.uk/reserves/guide/m/minsmere/

2. The National Trust resevre at Dunwich Heath which is next door to Minsmere

http://www.nationaltrust.org.uk/dunwich-heath-and-beach/

What Leiston is famous for

By David B (legacy user)16/8/2013 12:43Fri Aug 16 12:43:50 2013In response to Re: re: LeistonTop of thread

Views: 4249

The Steam Museum close to the ground – I guess in a town the size of Leiston, everything is close to the ground! – is the attraction recommended to me when I was there for the FA Trophy tie. If you look at the club badge, it is an abstract image of a steam engine seen from the front and one of their directors thought the club nickname should have been the Steamers. If the weather is good, then the coast at Aldeburgh is only 2-3 miles away. Alternatively, if you want to glow in the dark, there is the Sizewell reactor, around 2Km away ...

Previous thread: Player and Matchball Sponsorship Packages by Simon24/7/2013 22:23Wed Jul 24 22:23:24 2013view thread