Return to front page

Newest article: Re: PA system at SJP by ktfcprogrammes7328/9/2023 23:09Thu Sep 28 23:09:24 2023view thread

Oldest article: "Hither & Thither"? by alan ainsworth24/11/2013 12:59Sun Nov 24 12:59:08 2013view thread

MenuSearch

Reply to "Beyond frustrated"

You must log in or register before you can post an article

return to the front page

Beyond frustrated

By rwakeley19/4/2022 09:58Tue Apr 19 09:58:46 2022

Views: 6323

I've missed the last 2 at home - in-house hospital stuff. Still smarting from Salisbury at home. Injuries and defensive stuff are sufficiently well documented. Broken record. I have a bigger problem under the surface. 4 wins on the road is relegation form, I've been more concerned with SJP. 15 out of the last 18 games we've failed to register in the first 45.
That for me, particularly at home suggests our brand, our identity is not functional.
This is the problem for me with 3 up top. Gary had it in his play-off year - everybody fit. Even one missing component and we look dysfunctional. I note, Gary at Hampton recently went 2 up top. They've struggled in the final third. There is no happy medium, its guns blazing or bust. Modern day-ism. The Dorchester home game in August for me was a massive red flag, the return game a week or so back showed nothing has really altered.
I look in contrast at next season and I think in what will be a poor division, some of the usual suspects. Several sides, WSM, Poole and Truro all have squad comprised of one or two 28-30 year olds and the remainder composition young in-experienced types. Tony Lee's goal for Poole yesterday on 45, a Weymouth, Taunton-type manisfestation. We know what to expect. These sides have one advantage on us at present. An identity. I 'poole' us with the likes of Salisbury at present - a bit Man U. These other contenders are consolidating. They will be able to mix and match.
I don't think we have made sufficient progress in that underlying regard. We can bash on about defending the box and set-pieces, that we can work on and see short-term outcomes. I actually think the one shining light is that we probably pose an improved aried threat in the opposing box of late. I do think we need an all-round significantly better short-passing game. Just going long down the channels will only get us so far. I do think Frank is a potentially decent baller in the middle and looking towards next season a potentially good acquisition. I would have used Jayden out wide more. Interesting to hear Lee just touch on putting a central lad out wide. The flanks have been a mess all season, but in terms of style of play, I think we need a re-think how we build from the back. Individually we look good, passages of play can be exhillarating. Short-passing teams of whom keep the ball have highlighted our real underlying concern. Other sides are prepared to go backwards and reconfigure. I do think next season will determine the shape of we progress as a footballing entity. This time next year we will have a clearer picture of Lee's road-map as a manager and what is required to obtain success in this division.

• Collapse threadBeyond frustrated by rwakeley19/4/2022 09:58Tue Apr 19 09:58:46 2022view thread