Return to front page

Newest article: Fund our Future plea by johnnybakerToday 16:10Today at 16:10:49view thread

Oldest article: "Hither & Thither"? by alan ainsworth24/11/2013 12:59Sun Nov 24 12:59:08 2013view thread

MenuSearch

Reply to "Anyone for Tennyson?"

You must log in or register before you can post an article

return to the front page

Anyone for Tennyson?

By rwakeley23/12/2021 12:17Thu Dec 23 12:17:30 2021

Views: 4336

How would I sum up this season to date:- "Half a league, half a league, half a league - Forward the light brigade"
Frankly, I've already dismissed it. I maintain this campaign is effectively up for grabs. I think this season is from a mental and physical standpoint concertinaed into the next 3 months period and this will be in essence the first tangible walk-through test in terms of examining how good we actually are. With all the distractions, I don't think the lad's had a real chance to cement even his own thoughts to date.
I agree, the Sailsbury game was key, as for it was the Beaconsfield encounter. I thought they could effectively unlock our skillset and set a foundation to build. The key result for me was overlooked. The Taunton home win. Had we lost, we would have slipped 13pts behind them at the time. As things stand, only 8pts off the play-offs, with a game in hand.
Headwinds, and challenges aside, that's a decent position to re-launch the season. I can't see us realistically losing 10 more games in the second half of the campaign. So an overall improvement in points is easily achievable. There are positives. I think we start the new year with a clean slate.
History is pretty much on our side. I don't see pessimism. 2018-19, the last full campaign, at year-end, the Met occupied the last play off place with 37pts after 19 played. Gosport currently in the same position has an equal 37pts after 22 played. If 70pts is the perceived target, then this year indicates it may be a tad lower.
On the footballing front, I get the distinct impression a lot of the top sides have not been truly tested. To me, several of the top sides have diminutive centre-halfs. As Taunton demonstrated and as with the recent visit of the Met, I think corners and set-pieces are useful tools in the box.
I do think we have it in us , combined with a favouable change in the fortune stakes, to become genuine contenders.
We have the talent. On our day we can match the best. Timing could really see us hit our stride at the right time.
It's whether we can live up to our own expectations. I think we've a cracking set of lads. Their desire has been first class. I see us as a potential fox in the chicken coop. A nice festive image to sign off on! Glad to hear everybody is on mend.
Ever the optimist. Mr Tennyson take note!

• Collapse threadAnyone for Tennyson? by rwakeley23/12/2021 12:17Thu Dec 23 12:17:30 2021view thread