Return to front page

Newest article: Re: PA system at SJP by ktfcprogrammes7328/9/2023 23:09Thu Sep 28 23:09:24 2023view thread

Oldest article: "Hither & Thither"? by alan ainsworth24/11/2013 12:59Sun Nov 24 12:59:08 2013view thread

MenuSearch

Reply to "Second half syndrome - Part 1"

You must log in or register before you can post an article

return to the front page

Second half syndrome - Part 1

By rwakeley16/9/2021 13:58Thu Sep 16 13:58:01 2021In response to Re: Objectively speaking

Views: 1116

Since joining the Southern, I've been banging on with regards to our second half showings. I believe the cause, is our shape and the lack of a decent, traditional central midfield pairing. I maintain this has led to us being hit on the counter. The 'patterns' I have bashed on about I am hoping are finally coming to an end.
My trip to Farnborough under James, in the game for 20 mins, one down, lost the second half completely. History repeating. Dorchester was a bloody carbon copy - that's why I was mad. At the very least we have to recognise what's gone before and adjust against our mindset if it saves us. The stats so far this season, we are scoring first, a trait under James. We usually went on to lose.
This season, 12 out of 14 goals, not counting Corby away conceded have come in the second half. This trend is as relevant as ever. And yet only Taunton and Farnborough have scored more in the first half - again hammering home the points. Away from home, 4 out 5 let in have come in the second 45.
Just watched the Walton highlights. I am, at last quite encouraged. Some play from out the back, retaining possession and linking up. Does this change when we start to long again to Joe from goalkicks???? That for me is a key consideration. Playing a passing game for me would automatically aid us when losing players. I do think we need to clear our lines better and defend corners. That may well resolve itself. Even lee cited the passing component of our game post match. For me now, we have to establish this criteria. We have to bring so much more to the table.
It's the first signs in four years, for me, that this may finally being addressed. I think this will help us considerably at SJP. Enjoy playing on the carpet.