Return to front page

Newest article: Re: PA system at SJP by ktfcprogrammes7328/9/2023 23:09Thu Sep 28 23:09:24 2023view thread

Oldest article: "Hither & Thither"? by alan ainsworth24/11/2013 12:59Sun Nov 24 12:59:08 2013view thread

MenuSearch

Reply to "Thoughts on Corks"

You must log in or register before you can post an article

return to the front page

Thoughts on Corks

By rwakeley1/6/2020 19:37Mon Jun 1 19:37:31 2020

Views: 6830

Apparently next in the hot seat. Got me thinking. Looking forward to watching this lad. Got me thinking back to my Conference days and Barry Fry's lot. Yes, they may have broken the bank on the likes of Mark Carter and others. Combine that with the likes of Gary Bull up top. Hard to go wrong. The central midfield drove things in the 4-4-2. Around the mid-80's with Margerrison, a succession of personnel. I like Corks in the same way. The one I admired was Kenny Lowe. I went to the FAT Final when for Barrow he tore Leek Town apart. He owned that game. Just re-watched the vid and the story of Barnet's first year in the league. Not dull. Another Hendon oldie, in Nicky Ironton was a simiiar influence. I went to Underhill with Telford in 87 and Barnet destroyed them - and lost 2-0. Ironton joined, they got to work, they clicked, and in the return game won 4-2. From mid-table obscurity to runners-up. I went to Barnet when possible and enjoyed every visit. Somewhat flawed defensively. A knackered Mark Lawrenson had a spell. I think there is a trace of that North London, Enfield, Barnet vibe with regards to the current crop.
I recently listened into a radio chat with the Harrow gaffer and he cited the contrast in his view between the Ryman (skilful) and Southern (more physical). I think we have the scope to offer the best of both worlds.
Cetainly not getting carried away - Barnet took numerous attempts to go up demonstrating how difficult it is.
I do think the likes of Corks and several others are going to interesting to watch as the story unfolds.

• Collapse threadThoughts on Corks by rwakeley1/6/2020 19:37Mon Jun 1 19:37:31 2020view thread