Return to front page

Newest article: Re: PA system at SJP by ktfcprogrammes7328/9/2023 23:09Thu Sep 28 23:09:24 2023view thread

Oldest article: "Hither & Thither"? by alan ainsworth24/11/2013 12:59Sun Nov 24 12:59:08 2013view thread

MenuSearch

Reply to "Re: Be careful what you wish for.....Part 2"

You must log in or register before you can post an article

return to the front page

Re: Be careful what you wish for.....Part 2

By rwakeley28/10/2019 22:24Mon Oct 28 22:24:30 2019In response to Be careful what you wish for.....Part 1

Views: 7599

What did Telford United do... Well, a new manager came in - actually it was 2 managers! Liverpool had around that time had dual management and being a fad, Telford caught the bug. They put in charge a bloke no-one had heard of. Derek Mann, an academy exponent of the art from Shrewsbury Town and an under-study, the far more experienced, Gerry Daly, ex Man Utd, Republic of Ireland international.
That lasted about 18 months! Sound familiar. They had to rebuild an entire squad, no past experience. It was akin to watching an Abbot and Costello sketch. The very same individuals, calling for change, really woke up under that period! Then the club went all YTS. 16 year old defenders up against the likes of Mark Carter at Barnet! The next stage, most the BoD quit. A new owner came in, demolished the entire ground and went bankrupt. Next stage, demotion and AFC. A succession of managers, they have never build a base despite the town's population growing to near city status.
I type this because I've seen how things can really spiral out of control - Tongue in cheek - Relegation may well get us back in the Ryman League! Whatever one may think with regards to replacing a manager - it goes way beyond winning the next game of football. There are massive consequences at stake.
Personally, I think James or anybody else would have suffered massively taking on this project, with no side, at this time. The Southern League environment alone throws into the mix massive challenges. I am not happy with life at present, no-one is, but I do support James. No manager could have built a decent side, in this environment, within the timeframe. My only issue is one my personal tactical take - and what do I know at the end of the day.
The lad has brought in players, the Slough lad up-front short-term and tried to enhance the playing staff. He needs time. He's a bright lad who's managed at a higher level. There is no guarantee anybody else could do any better. Given what he has had to do, he deserves more than upto the end of October to put things right. Otherwise, as demonstrated above and everywhere from Old Trafford to Wingate & Finchley, the revolving door will be on the managerial front. That could lead to permanent damage. When Gary left, and with us going Southern, and having to completely re-build, this sentiment was inevitable. Stick or twist. I would personally back the manager. We did with Gary. He would have no doubt gone through similar circumstances. That's my take.