Re: Some positives...and yet...
The point I was trying to get to in my rambling nonsense last night was this.
At times this season we've played some really good stuff. First half an hour at Yate, final 20 minutes of the same game. First 35 minutes at Weston, patches against Met Police, first half against Wimborne. When we get the ball down, involve the midfielders we look good.
Okay, we might not always have the final ball, but we're decent to watch and we have proper footballers in the middle of the park. Marwa and Nyama when they were given the ball last night barely wasted a pass.
All too often though, when one of the centre halves has the ball approaching halfway everything in front of him is static. Last night we had two up top and two out wide - Dan Williams tried to make things happen - but no-one else was trying to manouevre the opposition and create space, neither front man took a punt by coming off his defender and looking to receive the ball into feet. I lost count of the times Jonas ended up going aerial for Connor and not finding him.
Then, conversely, on occasion one or two of our more attacking players are guilty of trying to do too much rather than keep things simple. I realise that's down to inexperience, of course.
The signs are unquestionably there and progress from six months ago is tangible, you can see that a side is being built rather than just having eleven blokes thrown together. Jimmy's done well, and we're not far off, it's just those small clinical details that are missing.
It's been a good start to the season, but with a shred more nous at either end, it could have been an outstanding start.
- Some positives...and yet... by John Rogers10/9/2019 22:40Tue Sep 10 22:40:19 2019view thread
- Re: Some positives...and yet... by Scarborough_Rob11/9/2019 07:23Wed Sep 11 07:23:45 2019
- Re: Some positives...and yet... by rwakeley11/9/2019 09:47Wed Sep 11 09:47:03 2019
- Re: Some positives...and yet... by John Rogers11/9/2019 18:40Wed Sep 11 18:40:52 2019
- Re: Some positives...and yet... by rwakeley12/9/2019 20:51Thu Sep 12 20:51:14 2019