Return to front page

Newest article: Re: PA system at SJP by ktfcprogrammes7328/9/2023 23:09Thu Sep 28 23:09:24 2023view thread

Oldest article: "Hither & Thither"? by alan ainsworth24/11/2013 12:59Sun Nov 24 12:59:08 2013view thread

MenuSearch

Reply to "Re: Congratulations on great season"

You must log in or register before you can post an article

return to the front page

Re: Congratulations on great season

By ChrisHFC7/5/2018 23:17Mon May 7 23:17:02 2018In response to Re: Congratulations on great season

Views: 2461

This old timer (59 years supporting Hendon next January - we have many supporters who've been doing so longer) is disappointed with the result, relieved that we don't have to potentially rebuild half of SJP to cater for National League requirements just yet, and pleased for Dulwich after all their trials and tribulations this season, also that Dulwich have been successful at the sixth time (I think) of asking in the last 8 or 9 seasons.

Now all the Hamlet want to really cement their season is to get back into Champion Hill. More power to their collective elbows in attempting to do so.

I didn't think we were really at the races today, despite leading at half-time. Dulwich had done their homework on us, putting two or three players on our front four whenever any of them had the ball, particularly our wide men. However their potentially most dangerous players (Clunis (7) and Allassani (9)) didn't appear from the far end to achieve a great deal, despite Clunis' thunderous shot against the bar in the second half.

Had the goalkeepers been reversed, I think Dulwich would probably have scored 5 or 6 without reply.

Hendon's season? Only having been at 21 matches out of our 66, and having missed most, if not all, of the first half of each home match when I've been on turnstile duty, I've had to rely a lot on comments from family members and other supporters, match reports, and the videos I've been able to access, so my personal experience this season is limited.

Given the limited experience of most of our squad at this level, we've certainly far surpassed my expectations at the start of the season. Despite our Middx Senior Cup win, Alan Hansen's comment of 25+ years ago - you won't win anything with kids - applies to us, but, by heaven, we came mighty close!!!!!

I commented in a different thread - after the Folkestone match - where I felt this squad was heading. Despite today, I see no reason - other than decimation by larger clubs offering silly money - to alter my opinion expressed therein, that this squad has the potential to be one of the best three I have seen in nearly 60 years of supporting the club.

Congratulations to Gary, Freddie, the rest of the management team, all the players, and to Tom, Rob, and all at SJP, the board, and all our supporters - especially our Scottish friends - for an excellent season. More of the same next season, please.